Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default B Garage

We looked into garage and shed prices earlier this year. Even a normal garage seemed unaffordable. So I focused on a shed and a carport for a while. Then I saw a local ad and the garage prices quoted were within reach. So I looked at Sprinter specs and discussed that size garage with the contractor and immediately dismissed that idea again because of cost. We started to firm up plans for a garage that could fit a Chevy based B with a high roof like a 190P or a Lexor. Even the price of that made me pause. We got a quote for just a normal two-car garage from the contractor with the good price and saw that the difference between a Chevy based B with a high roof sized garage and a normal two-car garage wasn't that much and was worth it to us. I figured no Sprinter (in a garage) ever for me.

So I mentioned the small B based garage to Mike................ and suggested:

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you make it big enough to hold a Sprinter based RV, just in case you decide the new one might need an upgrade at sometime.
Well, that got me thinking again. It makes sense. Hopefully I'll own a B for many years. So I looked into it all again. I'm not planning on buying a regular Sprinter based B but if in 5 or 10 years a good deal comes up then who knows?

We decided to build a garage that could be easily modified to fit a regular Sprinter later if needed. Regular Sprinter Class B's are pretty big at 22' 9" long and 9' 7" high. The garage will have 12' high 2x6 walls because the studs come at 12' and 4' x 8' sheathing divides into 12 without waste. Less cutting, less waste but more concrete, siding, and roofing etc. needed. The garage door headers will be built for 10' doors but framed in for less expensive 9' doors now. Basically it added $1,200 to make the garage 2' longer and 2' higher. I may never need to put in a taller door but at least I'll have that option. No doubt the extra 2' in length will nice to have now.

Have you built or modified a garage to fit your B?

Post photos if you have them.

Oh yeah...... Thanks Mike
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote