Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2023, 10:53 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Black tank flushing?

Black tank flushing
I'm just starting out, just been using RV as a van, on over 4 trips to beach very comfortable cruising.

never slept in RV (initial trip did try it for a few hours then was eaten alive by noseeshum bitting flies) until last trip one night didn’t sleep much.
never even used the toilet for #2 just #1 for 2 days. came home thinking there's just gonna be a little piss lets empty on side yard, (I did add the stink reducer fuild into toilet).

wrong a 3' turd came out that's been in there since I bought the B-class in sep.that’s like 10 months.during this 10 months
I never smelt strong odors but did smell a hint of poop.
so how many gallons should I pour into toilet to flush black tank (BL tank is 11 gallons) out? not sure if RVing is for me.thanks for waste advice.
Old 06-29-2023, 11:44 PM   #2
Site Team

What is your goal?
If you plan to start using the toilet, then just start using it. When it is full, or when you are leaving the campground, just dump the tanks. There is really no need to routinely flush a black tank. Depending on the internal geometry of the drain, you may get a buildup of crud over time that needs aggressive cleaning. This happened once on our old Airstream Interstate, but never on our GWV Legend. It is good to keep a bit of water in the tank, but routine flushing will usually take care of that.

It is also not normal for a black tank toilet to smell (except perhaps a whiff during a flush). If there are persistent odors, you have a leak somewhere (most likely the seals on the flush valve) or possibly a plugged vent pipe. If you have such an issue, you can use chemicals to cover up the smell until you get it fixed. Otherwise, there is no need for chemicals.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 03:09 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBRAIN View Post
Black tank flushing
I'm just starting out, just been using RV as a van, on over 4 trips to beach very comfortable cruising.

never slept in RV (initial trip did try it for a few hours then was eaten alive by noseeshum bitting flies) until last trip one night didn’t sleep much.
never even used the toilet for #2 just #1 for 2 days. came home thinking there's just gonna be a little piss lets empty on side yard, (I did add the stink reducer fuild into toilet).

wrong a 3' turd came out that's been in there since I bought the B-class in sep.that’s like 10 months.during this 10 months
I never smelt strong odors but did smell a hint of poop.
so how many gallons should I pour into toilet to flush black tank (BL tank is 11 gallons) out? not sure if RVing is for me.thanks for waste advice.
A common way to clean black tanks is to add a few pounds of ice cubes drive a few miles and drain. I hope you don't use blue formaldehyde based tank treatment which is deadly for septic tanks. In NA black and grey tanks must be dumped on dumping stations or other sewer systems like toilets or sewer access points.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 04:03 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I agree with GR and A. I had anxiety when I first got the RV with regard to TheDump. My first dumps were into my home sewer clean-out. I've now dumped many times in many locations. On previous posts I detailed how I eliminated black tank odor by finding a cracked hose in the toilet's internals. Fully explained how odor was drifting up from the black tank into the toilet bowl area. Solved.

I use a wand to hose the black tank during the dump (after its contents are out of the tank but before the hose is disconnected. About a year ago one of the dump valve "pulls" was leaking. I decided to replace both. When I unbolted the pull for the black tank and removed it, there was virtually no odor. When I did the grey tank.......it really smelled.

I use a product called Happy Camper which has a bacterial component that minimizes odor. There are many others like this. I don't use one with a lemony (etc) smell. I've started using it in the grey tank as well.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 10:06 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
don't use blue formaldehyde based tank treatment which is deadly for septic tanks.
How about the Camco TST? The blue version ingredients says "faculative enzymes/bacteria" and the orange says "calcium nitrate." Is there any benefit (or harm) in using these?
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 12:41 PM   #6
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
A common way to clean black tanks is to add a few pounds of ice cubes drive a few miles and drain. I hope you don't use blue formaldehyde based tank treatment which is deadly for septic tanks. In NA black and grey tanks must be dumped on dumping stations or other sewer systems like toilets or sewer access points.

"A common way to clean black tanks is to add a few pounds of ice cubes drive a few miles and drain."

I was surprised that it had been 8 years since I had seen the video. Heck of a lot of their videos over the years.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 01:57 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-NY View Post
How about the Camco TST? The blue version ingredients says "faculative enzymes/bacteria" and the orange says "calcium nitrate." Is there any benefit (or harm) in using these?
Good stuff! Enzymes and nitrate.
Old 06-30-2023, 09:35 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
What is your goal?
If you plan to start using the toilet, then just start using it. When it is full, or when you are leaving the campground, just dump the tanks. There is really no need to routinely flush a black tank. Depending on the internal geometry of the drain, you may get a buildup of crud over time that needs aggressive cleaning. This happened once on our old Airstream Interstate, but never on our GWV Legend. It is good to keep a bit of water in the tank, but routine flushing will usually take care of that.

It is also not normal for a black tank toilet to smell (except perhaps a whiff during a flush). If there are persistent odors, you have a leak somewhere (most likely the seals on the flush valve) or possibly a plugged vent pipe. If you have such an issue, you can use chemicals to cover up the smell until you get it fixed. Otherwise, there is no need for chemicals.
presumptuous of you to think I RV at a campground w/ a dump station. I'm usaley visiting either friends or family.concidering a Florida state park they have this fee that fee another fee tax ect ect. do they charge to dump?
was thinking I could pay for a tent spot $24.+++++ an just stay in van the RV spot is $42.+++++++++++.

Quote:
good suggestion I'll make some cubes I poured a couple OZs of camco organe stuff in toilet before last trip, I think it was the only toilet treatment they had at walmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
I agree with GR and A. I had anxiety when I first got the RV with regard to TheDump. My first dumps were into my home sewer clean-out. I've now dumped many times in many locations. On previous posts I detailed how I eliminated black tank odor by finding a cracked hose in the toilet's internals. Fully explained how odor was drifting up from the black tank into the toilet bowl area. Solved.

I use a wand to hose the black tank during the dump (after its contents are out of the tank but before the hose is disconnected. About a year ago one of the dump valve "pulls" was leaking. I decided to replace both. When I unbolted the pull for the black tank and removed it, there was virtually no odor. When I did the grey tank.......it really smelled.

I use a product called Happy Camper which has a bacterial component that minimizes odor. There are many others like this. I don't use one with a lemony (etc) smell. I've started using it in the grey tank as well.
see the thing is I assumed the BT was empty, yes I broke rule #1 don't assume.I was just expecting a little bit of piss not a 3'turd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"A common way to clean black tanks is to add a few pounds of ice cubes drive a few miles and drain."

I was surprised that it had been 8 years since I had seen the video. Heck of a lot of their videos over the years.
I watched a few videos on yboob strange how ppl w/ trailer think there RVs when there just trailers. only saw 1 b-class a black guy and his newish b-class seamed to be button operated w/ a retractable poop tube.

posted here BC didn't know if there was a black tank flush port like trailers have. I'll start off w/ a bucket.
anyway even if the toilet only gets used for #1 I want to rinse it out after each trip. thanks Guys for poop advice.
that big blob is about ripe now being heated up. I did hose in down to scatter the evidence.
the new neighbors (are driveways are adjacent separated w/ 15' of yard) have a flood/light camera (which it's illegale to film me on my side) weird his wife usaely comes back around 4pm but yesterday came back right when I was hoseing the 3'er
I just pretended to be washing the van.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toilet treatment.jpg (150.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-30-2023, 09:42 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBRAIN View Post
presumptuous of you to think I RV at a campground w/ a dump station. I'm usaley visiting either friends or family.concidering a Florida state park they have this fee that fee another fee tax ect ect. do they charge to dump?
Apologies.
There are lots of places with dump stations beyond campgrounds, including many truck stops, fairgrounds, and city water treatment plants. They were once mostly free, but now most charge $5-10.

There are a number of websites and apps to help locate the nearest dump station. They are useful, but unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any one that is comprehensive.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 09:49 PM   #10
Bud
Platinum Member

"Originally Posted by Bud View Post

You have missed quoted me with the cut and paste. I did not write that. You evidently did not watch the video?

Bud
Old 06-30-2023, 10:46 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:

I have seen a few videos from Fit RV and don’t consider them to be a reliable source of info. In this case I have no clue what he used to simulate humane waste, but I am sure that human waste in a black tank is not baked for 2 hours under the midday Sun.

Fit RV cassette toilet video is a misleading adverting by for composting toilets they advertised than. Since they pedaled backwards from this video.

I used ice in my black tanks, not perfect but it did knocked off most of poop mounds.
Old 07-01-2023, 12:08 AM   #12
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have seen a few videos from Fit RV and don’t consider them to be a reliable source of info. In this case I have no clue what he used to simulate humane waste, but I am sure that human waste in a black tank is not baked for 2 hours under the midday Sun.

Fit RV cassette toilet video is a misleading adverting by for composting toilets they advertised than. Since they pedaled backwards from this video.

I used ice in my black tanks, not perfect but it did knocked off most of poop mounds.
I don't understand how the ice would work?

- Turning the stuck on stuff ice cold? Seems like Hot Water would be better.

- The ice cubes are less dense than the water, but the same below the water line. Returned from the kitchen. Used a large wide glass bowl and tried to simulate driving my B. I did not 'see' how it would work. But I've never had to deal with the problem.

I do recall the Fit folks praised an absorption refer they owned, then you can guess what happened.....
Old 07-01-2023, 12:10 AM   #13
Bud
Platinum Member

"but the same below the water line" false, brain fart of some sort.
Old 07-01-2023, 12:45 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't understand how the ice would work?

- Turning the stuck on stuff ice cold? Seems like Hot Water would be better.

- The ice cubes are less dense than the water, but the same below the water line. Returned from the kitchen. Used a large wide glass bowl and tried to simulate driving my B. I did not 'see' how it would work. But I've never had to deal with the problem.

I do recall the Fit folks praised an absorption refer they owned, then you can guess what happened.....
Ice is hard enough to knock off human waste. I used a few pounds of ice on empty tank. If Titanic didn’t run into an iceberg, it could still be afloat. Perhaps Fit RV fellow should think about the facts about Titanic catastrophe.
Old 07-01-2023, 10:34 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Chemicals in tank are not needed, many are toxic to the enviroment and are going to be banned. If you can get the ice going 20.5 knots may take out the tank! I use any paper in tank that is septic safe, not rv special paper.

Only trick to tank I use is if I have some spare time before dumping I fill the tank with water, the more water in the black tank the better the dump.

If you have odors, there is a leak in the system that needs to be fixed.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 05:55 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
Chemicals in tank are not needed, many are toxic to the enviroment and are going to be banned. If you can get the ice going 20.5 knots may take out the tank! I use any paper in tank that is septic safe, not rv special paper.

Only trick to tank I use is if I have some spare time before dumping I fill the tank with water, the more water in the black tank the better the dump.

As far as I know only formaldehyde-based treatments are toxic and rare or outlawed today. All bacteria, enzymes or oxygen laden chemical treatments are not harmful. I wouldn’t use chemicals in macerator or vacuum toilets, all others have waste opened to during flush.

Cassette’s waste is opened during flush and fully exposed during dumping. From my experience I recommend chemical treatment for cassettes. My choice is Odorlos which is ammonium/calcium nitrate, a fertilizer.
Old 07-01-2023, 09:36 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Apologies.
There are lots of places with dump stations beyond campgrounds, including many truck stops, fairgrounds, and city water treatment plants. They were once mostly free, but now most charge $5-10.

There are a number of websites and apps to help locate the nearest dump station. They are useful, but unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any one that is comprehensive.
no problem I was gonna cruise by the local truck stop an look for the dump station never got around to it.

Quote:
"Originally Posted by Bud View Post

You have missed quoted me with the cut and paste. I did not write that. You evidently did not watch the video?

Bud
woopies stuff happens w/ multiple quotes.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post

excellent tip on adding water
Quote:
As far as I know only formaldehyde-based treatments are toxic and rare or outlawed today. All bacteria, enzymes or oxygen laden chemical treatments are not harmful. I wouldn’t use chemicals in macerator or vacuum toilets, all others have waste opened to during flush.

Cassette’s waste is opened during flush and fully exposed during dumping. From my experience I recommend chemical treatment for cassettes. My choice is Odorlos which is ammonium/calcium nitrate, a fertilizer.
so since I have a regular RV toilet it's safe to be using the organe stuff I just bought?

additional comment for all:
NFG next door thats new F Guy thinks my driveway is his driveway note his big truck well the only way to park it on his side is to use my driveway. see the street light pole thats the property line.
I came back from a beach trip on march 6 an this a$$hole had his truck there. few days later I said I'd prefer you don't use my driveway. hardhead continues, note how far back the van is just barely giving this clown room to leave.

basicely got fed up an parked the green van as far over to line as possiable Guy can't take a hint.
I'll elaberate into this issue later.
they do alot of Bar-Bing w/ guests in both the side yard where dam I have to look at them not as bad when there in the back talking the butchered english language an bumping bass crap music dam.more on that later. so mite be saving up some black tank stuff for the special dump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg negro problem1.jpg (158.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg negro problem2.jpg (121.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-09-2023, 02:23 PM   #18
Platinum Member

My 14 year old black sensor is still showing empty when I dump and clean. All these dumb ideas about ice and chemicals. LOL Stop being lazy and clean it. I use the swivel stick and the attached photo to prevent the flapper damage. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV Toilet Chock.jpg (70.9 KB, 7 views)
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 02:24 PM   #19
Platinum Member

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-09-2023, 02:35 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Last dump when I posted a picture for another group.
Attached Images
File Type: png RV Sensor.PNG (1.26 MB, 12 views)