Old 03-31-2019, 06:27 PM   #1

Default Class B Gas Engine High Clearance with Luxery Interior

Hi All,

I'm planning for retirement and have decided on a Class B. I like the Pleasure -Way's interior layouts and craftsmanship, but it is not high enough off the ground. I like the Sportsmobile's high clearance (4x4) but the inside does not seem to meet the same look and feel of the Pleasure-Way. Is there an RV Manufacturer or conversion company that would fit my requirements? Thank you for any help on this.

Sunny

FindSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:36 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Looks like you are about 10 years too late. Search for Roadtrek 190 4X4 and see if that is what you are after. Not that I would recommend an orphan but it may help to see what used to be available.

Ford Transits can be upgraded to four wheel drive so maybe look for a Transit based B.

Call Pleasure Way and see if they would start with a Mercedes 4X4. Roadtrek did and new ones are for sale. Search Roadtrek 4x4. I did and got several.

I would search for a 2005-2009 Roadtrek Popular and restore it to fill that need.

Just rambling, good luck.

hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:47 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Looks like you are about 10 years too late. Search for Roadtrek 190 4X4 and see if that is what you are after. Not that I would recommend an orphan but it may help to see what used to be available.

Ford Transits can be upgraded to four wheel drive so maybe look for a Transit based B.

Call Pleasure Way and see if they would start with a Mercedes 4X4. Roadtrek did and new ones are for sale. Search Roadtrek 4x4. I did and got several.

I would search for a 2005-2009 Roadtrek Popular and restore it to fill that need.

Just rambling, good luck.

That could also be done with the other brands built on the Chevy from Pleasure-way, or Airstream. Fords like the Pleasure-way Excel or the Great West Ford small B could also be converted.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:08 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindSunshine View Post
Hi All,

I'm planning for retirement and have decided on a Class B. I like the Pleasure -Way's interior layouts and craftsmanship, but it is not high enough off the ground. I like the Sportsmobile's high clearance (4x4) but the inside does not seem to meet the same look and feel of the Pleasure-Way. Is there an RV Manufacturer or conversion company that would fit my requirements? Thank you for any help on this.

Sunny
What sportsmobile 4x4 are you talking about. Sportsmobile california has an artificai shell that they put on e-350 base now that ford is not making them.

that to me would be the ultimate 4x4 B.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:49 AM   #5

Thank you to everyone who replied. I'll keep looking but as of now, I'm leaning towards Sportsmobile. I really want a gas engine. I plan on boondocking in the western part of the US quite a bit, so the ground clearance is important. Those two items take higher priority than having the inside looking like a Pleasure-Way or Leisure Travel. Thank you again!
FindSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:26 AM   #6
Platinum Member

You can do a 2" lift kit on a Sprinter to raise it a little. It seems like a lot of work and expense for a couple inches but it is available.

https://agileoffroad.com/rip-kit-mercedes-sprinter/

My Sportsmobile Sprinter has a very high quality fit and finish. It certainly is built better than the Roadtrek and Winnebago vans I looked at. Pleasureways seem to be built pretty well but I don't think it is any better than the van I designed with Sportsmobile. You can get a higher end Class B from Advanced RV but it will cost you at least double the cost of a Sportsmobile. The main downside to Sportsmobile is the long wait time (1 year or more, probably longer for a 4x4).

I would have preferred a gas Class B myself but quickly learned that there aren't any other great gas options. I had no interest in a Fiat built Promaster. The only other option was a Ford Transit. There are several reasons that most of the Class B companies don't build on the Transit platform. The vast majority of Sportsmobiles are diesel Sprinters and not Transits. There will be a gas Sprinter soon but I think it will only be the 4 cylinder engine and without 4x4.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:38 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindSunshine View Post
Thank you to everyone who replied. I'll keep looking but as of now, I'm leaning towards Sportsmobile. I really want a gas engine. I plan on boondocking in the western part of the US quite a bit, so the ground clearance is important. Those two items take higher priority than having the inside looking like a Pleasure-Way or Leisure Travel. Thank you again!

this is what i was talking about

https://sportsmobile.com/sportsmobile-4x4/
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Before I had my Sportsmobile built, I rented a Tiger Bengel RV.

http://www.tigervehicles.com/tiger-models/bengal/

That was an interesting off-road, boondocking vehicle on a Ford F-350 platform. It was a very well made, comfortable camping RV. It was just too big for me and it rode like like a big, stiff, heavy duty truck. I preferred the more car-like drive of my Sprinter van but it would have gone places my van won’t go.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Buy a van and tow a Jeep. Unless you're buying a true expedition-built motorhome, the places the 4WD will get you stuck in will only damage the underside of the van and make your towing charges a WHOLE lot more.

Tow the jeep to a place you can leave the van, and go explore in the Jeep. You'll likely pay enough for a 4WD motorhome to pay for a motorhome AND a 4WD anyway.

This is my Interstate and Jeep JKU.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2795.jpg (239.6 KB, 21 views)
2016 Jeep JKU 6spd stick
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:25 PM   #10
Gold Member

A Sprinter has the size to do nice layouts. I have 4x4 diesel Roadtrek CS and love it. We travel all over the west and do not pamper our van - it is very rugged, decent clearance and quite "luxurious". Not sure why you don't want diesel but we like the power (high torque at low rpm) economy and longevity.

Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote