Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Fire from overfilled propane tank, need advice.

Greetings!
It was last year when I scoured this forum for information while I was looking for information on a RoadTrek well we found one late last year and parked it over the winter and took it out last weekend (1987 dodge roadtrek). The weekend started bad and went to worse.
Unknown to me the attendant way overfilled the tank after the incident and using the propane stove and heater it was still filled more than the red zone would register. we kept on smelling propane and my daughter was ill on a drive for the first time in her life. The smell disappeared when we parked and we stopped to camp ( I had not checked the tank at this time and assumed that it may have been trapped gas from the filling) we used everything without incident and settled in for the night and turned on the heat after about three cycles the cabin filled full of smoke and the smell of burnt wiring and I assumed it was an electrical problem with the heater and shut if off for the night and as it still was getting below freezing at night it was a little cold. I could not run the vehicle because it burns a little rich at the moment ( pre tune up).
In the morning I went out and saw that a bunch of plastic had melted off the regulator and the fridge was no longer working.
I opened up the fridge compartment and it was a mass of burnt wiring melted together and the condensor was a nice carbon color. I was dumb founded and when I looked at the propane guage I noticed it was way past the over fill mark and assumed that it bled off ignited and then heated up the tank to create more ignited propane. we cut our trip short and headed back into town after shutting the propane right off. After going to one RV dealer they said we were lucky that we never lost our out rig or our lives. this was verified by another outfit as well later that week. The first estimate is $ 2400 to replace the fridge, regulator and fix the wiring, the other guy said that was conservative and likely be much more but he would not even touch it as as things come out more damage could show up and with the season just beginning could not even get to it for weeks even if he decided to take it on. Now I have a rig I cannot use with a overfill tank and even if I could get it in could cost thousands and not even have it for a least a month. I went to the gas station owner and he said his deductible is 2500 and does not know if he can fix it, I was upset at the time and left him with the bill last Tuesday and told him to contact his insurance and get back to me. I have not heard back from him. We have decided to try and get it fixed asap and then bring the bill to him so we can get out before the season is done. I feel he should at the very least fix it and compensate me for the time of getting estimates etc.
I could fix most of it myself although I am not licensed to handle propane but could do the other stuff. One RV fella said that the 110 has to be run back to the junction and you cannot just splice like you can splice 12 volt so this means there might be some major work involved in pulling out the cabinets to get to the end of the line.
But then I have so much other work to so do I tie up my evenings and weekends and swallow the cost or do I pay a RV repair place to fix it and hope that I can get the station owner to pay for it. My insurance will cover it but my premiums will increase for five years. I also have to pay someone to bleed off the tank right away as well because the regulator is shot and can just burn it off. Any advice on how to proceed?
gexter is offline   Reply With Quote