Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2019, 02:19 AM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 4
Default LG TV in 2019 Roadtrek Zion Fails

The LG TV (LG 24LJ4540) blows the 5A fuse every time the 19 V plug is inserted into the back of the TV. Looking at the back it appears that this TV was altered by RT to work with the 12 volt system.

Red and black wires carrying the house voltage (13+ volts DC) go into a hole in the back and a second pair of wires carrying 19 volts emerge from a second hole. The 19 volt wire is plugged into the TV’s 19V power jack.

The whole thing looks sketchy.

Should I toss this TV and get a “true” 12 Volt TV?
__________________

Oldpgmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:33 AM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpgmr View Post
The LG TV (LG 24LJ4540) blows the 5A fuse every time the 19 V plug is inserted into the back of the TV. Looking at the back it appears that this TV was altered by RT to work with the 12 volt system.

Red and black wires carrying the house voltage (13+ volts DC) go into a hole in the back and a second pair of wires carrying 19 volts emerge from a second hole. The 19 volt wire is plugged into the TV’s 19V power jack.

The whole thing looks sketchy.

Should I toss this TV and get a “true” 12 Volt TV?

It sounds like they mounted a 12 to 19v DC converter inside the TV, which is a pretty odd thing to do as you could just do it all on the outside. It could be the converter that is bad though or the TV. The converter sometimes can have quite dirty DC power which can be hard on electronics.
__________________

booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:21 AM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 4
Default

Thanks, I believe you are correct about the dirty power being the issue. The reason it was done internal to the TV was probably to avoid complicating the assembly process. It was cheaper and easier to pay a third party to mod a cheap TV.
It does not appear to be worth fixing.
Oldpgmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpgmr View Post
Thanks, I believe you are correct about the dirty power being the issue. The reason it was done internal to the TV was probably to avoid complicating the assembly process. It was cheaper and easier to pay a third party to mod a cheap TV.
It does not appear to be worth fixing.

That is sure what it sounds like.


We quit doing the dance to try to find native 12 tv and video components as they are getting harder and harder to find. About all there is now are the "trucker" tvs which have gotten better but still most aren't all that nice. They are about the only choice if you want a smaller size though. Almost everything now is 19" of more.


We put in a 120watt PSW inverter to run the tv and dvd player and found we actually use right about the same amount of power as when we ran the 12v stuff with a 12v stabilizer. Now we can put in any 110v unit if we need to.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:05 AM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 4
Default

Since we were 800 miles from home and still had four weeks remaining on the trip we just got a 24” Jensen 12V as a quick replacement. Resolution is acceptable and plugging a BT speaker into the headphone jack made up for the awful sound.
Later I may investigate using a second inverter and a better TV.
Oldpgmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:57 PM   #6
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 6
Default Fuse may be too small

I think that TV requires 200 watts. That would be 200watts/12volts=16.7amps.
Jimbo614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:22 PM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 4
Default

The tv was working fine until it didn’t. The 5A fuse would blow when the 9 volt plug was plugged into the set. This was when the tv was turned off.
I thought about increasing the amperage of the fuse but that seemed like the old days when people replaced house fuses with pennies.
Oldpgmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:48 PM   #8
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo614 View Post
I think that TV requires 200 watts. That would be 200watts/12volts=16.7amps.

I don't think that is correct, you have a reference. Small LED TVs are usually in the 40-50 watt range. That is rated and the ones we have had were lower by quite a bit.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:37 PM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 6
Default

I purchased this. Works well except for sound quality
https://www.amazon.com/SuperSonic-Wi.../dp/B007GFD3EW
Jimbo614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:11 PM   #10
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo614 View Post
I purchased this. Works well except for sound quality
https://www.amazon.com/SuperSonic-Wi.../dp/B007GFD3EW

That one lists at 48W on the Supersonic site.
__________________

booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rv tv

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.