Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default OLD SCHOOL CLASS B`s

Hello fellow B`s.

I have noticed that the majority of posts are for the newer class B vans. Are there any members such as myself who own one of the excellent made original class B van conversions from the 70`s and 80`s? These "OLD SCHOOL" B`s have many of the options that the newer ones have or can be easily custom fitted. I have a 1981 19ft. Dodge Class B and a 1979 Ford Chat eau custom van both which I use for short or extended camping trips. I wonder if there are enough members or guests with an original class B who would like to see some representation on this excellent site. ps tried to upload pictures of both vans but was not successful.
abacusblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
Bronze Member

Default Camping Generators.

Hi. Does anyone have experience with a Coleman portable generator 1800 watt with the sabaru engine? They were offered at Cosco earlier this year for $500 but I can`t seem to locate one now. Appreciate any info about them . Thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:45 AM   #3
Platinum Member

re: Coleman Generator

here's a link for more info and you can download an owner manual

http://www.powermate.com/generators/pro ... 0431802.01

I once inquired about a similar looking Coleman unit (it had a Briggs & Stratton motor) The salesman said it would be too loud for camping (his opinion).

The Subaru motor might not be as loud.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:35 AM   #4
Bronze Member

Yes Marko Polo You are correct, The Briggs and Strat is loud and they are built for short periods of use. The Sabaru engine is a 4 stroke overhead valves and is designed for RV type use. I figured it was a good looking generator and cheaper than a Honda. I have found this model at Roma, Home Depot and Cosco but they all have the Briggs and Straten. It seems that this unit would be good for a class B. Now you need a special approved generator for California too. Thanks again Marko.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Generators

The important thing about generators is the quality of the electrical output. And the regulation. Modern electronics want a pretty good sine wave regulated 120 volts or close to it. Those older generators, such as the Briggs and Stratton powered Colemans, did not create a very good sine wave and varied voltage by load up to 145 volts at times. Both can be killers to computers, printers and other electronics.

Okay for resistive loads such as heaters and some air conditioners, but you get what you pay for.

https://www.classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:20 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Jeepers , talk about hijacking a thread with questions regarding crappy coleman generators !! I think any class b rv manufactured before 1990 is old school , and yes , I'm interested in any modern upgrades ! We have a 1988 Islander Goldstream II on a Dodge b350 platform. I've installed a modern 4 speed overdrive trans , upgraded curtains , fantastic fan , vents, and travel with a Boily generator and and and..... what '' stuff '' can you share ???? I really like the '' later '' pre 1994 class b's . When it says '' 350 '' , it's a real 1 ton , with real 1 ton brakes and suspension . Any takers ?
lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
Silver Member

My old Horizon is based on a Chevy 200 chassis. It's hell-for-stout and gets the job done with few problems. I pay the cheapest vehicle taxes (Plates, registration) each year, and I don't see buying anything else newer, likely ever.

Chip
Old 06-21-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Hey Chip , I've read in your previous posts you use an external shower. My camper van ( 1988-89 Dodge wide body ) has no water heater . I've purchased Coleman's instant water heater , and it works like a hot dm! It even comes with a shower head attachment . So I'm going to rig up a small '' privacy'' house and try this setup using a 10 gallon water jug. The only problem is water runoff and wet feet . I've got to either make something to stand on which also collects the ''grey'' water . Any ideas ?
Old 06-22-2008, 04:20 AM   #9
Silver Member

Well, you could either make or "appropiate" a lattice-or pallet to stand on.. But myself, I use a small washtub that also is used for other purposes.

I also have a collapsable vinyl trash can from Harbor Freight. It's too tall to get in and out of, but they go on sale all the time around here for about four dollars, so I might take a pair of scissors to one and experiment.

The washtub I use is advertised as a "Keg Cooler", and it's wide at the sides.

Chip
Old 06-22-2008, 03:58 PM   #10
Silver Member

On another site I saw a folding dog bath tub/shower setup, http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...7.cfm#21556007
kenking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #11

I would be interested in old school Class Bs - just purchased 1989 Chinook on 1 ton Ford Chassis and would love to see pics of others or similiar. I will post some pics soon.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:35 AM   #12
Bronze Member

Kenking, that's exactly what I was looking for !!!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #13
Silver Member

Glad to hear it! When I saw that shower setup it made me wish I still had my 84 Falcon.... my current van doesn't have the roof height to use that setup. However, I found a link for an outside one that I like the brackets for
http://windsurf.mediaforte.com/roadt...te_Shower.html
kenking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #14

How about a 1982 Dodge B250 Cargo Conversion w/318 4BBL 727 and HD9.25 rear? The wife, daughter and I have made many trips and they just keep getting better and better. The antique tag is just icing on the cake (never have to buy another tag!).

Am currently in the process of building and wiring of the solar and associated electronics (for longer boondocking) and also a hydrogen fuel cell that I built and will be installing in the van after prototype verification on my old carbed pickup (for doubling my fuel economy which isn't bad already at 15+ mpg).

Pics to come (we are still working on finishing kitchen and shower/bathroom remodeling...
Old 07-16-2008, 10:06 PM   #15
Silver Member

Right on! Anything new and different, on a old chassis ..Works for me!

Keep us posted,
Chip
Old 07-17-2008, 12:37 AM   #16
Bronze Member

Regarding the ''old'' Dodge B series conversions , the best one to find is a 1988 B350 with the 360 . It is the very last 4 barrell production van ! No ''closed loop'' throttle body system with sensors to restrict what you can do . I've added a ''modern'' A518A 4 speed overdrive , which drops the RPM'S way down on the highway , getting great mileage . It will do 100 miles an hour if I push it , but if I stay out of the secondaries (don't floor it) I can get over 500 kilometers out of a 120 liter tank . The trans cost $4000 to rebuild and bullet proof and install , taxes in . It has a manual on/off switch on the dash for when you want to cut it out . This one is an ''Islander Goldstream II'' wide body , converted in 1989 . Sure the trans was expensive, but it's what we(I) wanted. Now about installing a shower....... pics coming next month. And by the way , most of the 1990 model year and up came with the overdrive as an option , but you are stuck with that closed loop , can't modify it TBI system.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:14 AM   #17

Default 1987 Okanagan

How about those great old Okanagan Class-Bs with the big high ops that hung over the sides? Ours is a 1987 Ford 19.5' length, slick sided van with a cab-over top. She has a queen sized bed up top where it belongs. We lived in it for two months before getting a late 90s Class-A Pace Arrow Vision (Chevy P series chassis).

We keep the Okanagan for extended camping trips and would live in it again if need be. It's a neat old van painted in a typical 80s color scheme of metallic gray with maroon stripes. All systems are completely refurbished and she runs like a new rig. Right now, she's in the shop getting a new starter motor, but at least it's just down the street, so the old Okie is still closeby. Gonna pick her up tomorrow and drive her around town.

I love this rig!
Old 11-08-2009, 01:14 AM   #18
Bronze Member

Default Re: OLD SCHOOL CLASS B`s

I just finished a 1988 Discoverer by Cobra class B on a E250 Ford chassis with a 351 Windsor engine and C6 transmission. It is totally refurbished top to bottom, front to back, inside and outside. It looks new and runs better as I upgraded the engine a tad with some Mustang heads, injectors, plenun etc. Will be installing some shorty smog-type headers soon also. It has a tub/shower, toilet, microwave, 2 burner propane stove, 3 way refrigerator (newly refurbished also) central heat, overhead and dash a/c, propane water heater, TV, VCR, DVD player, all new plumbing including the black and grey tanks, electrical, including the converter, carpeting, window seals, upholstery, air shocks, new fuel pumps and sending units in both tanks, all new exhuast system, brakes, rotors, 4 core diesel radiator, hitch-mounted 3500 watt generator, and my daughter is in the process of making custom window coverings for it as I am typing this. It has a new sound system in the dash with cd changer also. I know this sounds more like bragging but it needed all of the above mentioned to ensure a safe and reliable camper for my daughter to use when she gets time to go wherever she wants to. Its a fairly impressive little camper in that it has plenty of power, handles great, and even though it sounds like it should be crowded inside with all the amenities, it isn't. It is actually pretty comfortable, but if more than one or two people tried to go along, it would get jammed up I think. I am still working the TV antenna issues and may just put a dish on it, don't know yet. Thats what I did on my class A rig and I am very happy with that. So, thats the Yosemite Express as it was dubbed and rightously so as it will get many round trips there now that it is in such great shape.
leslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:51 AM   #19
Platinum Member

That sounds fantastic. I'd love to post photos if you have any and want to. You can send them to markopolo (at) classbforum (dot) com. Send as many as you want.

I mention to my DW today that I'd like to get a fixer upper Islander Class B and restore it. She didn't say no

I can't say I know what plenun and shorty smog-type headers are but I wanna do that too

I believe this is what an '88 Cobra looks like:

markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:36 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Once a B, always a B.
Even if it's a B igfoot?