Old 12-01-2007, 04:09 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Thanks for the information.

I did not look on the anti-freezewas not 100%

We don't have a way to get 110 here so we are on our own.

It is snowing again this morning, we have about 4". It may sonw a couple of feet today and tonight.

http://www.waskomtexas.com
Rolacoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:51 AM   #12
Bronze Member

It snowed most of the day in Rico, CO on Saturday, but only accumulated about 4" additional snow. The electricity went off about 3:00 PM so I decided to stay in the hotel with my wife. I left the heat on in our Roadtrek, set to about 55 degrees. The temperature got down to 18 degrees by the next morning.

Sometime during the night the coach battery went dead so the heater stopped working. I checked the temperature inside the MH and it was 26 degrees. I was worried about the fresh water/anti-freeze that I had in the MH. I turned on the pump and it pumped up and shut off. Then it would come back on for about 2 seconds and shut off. It that that continually. I figured that a line had split and that it would not hold pressure. Then I realized that it was too low on water to be able to pick up the water mix.

The electricity was still off and there is only one service station in Rico. They did not have any RV anti-freeze. We decided to leave Rico about 11:00 AM because I was having trouble with the altitude. I would have liked to have stayed another day or so. We drove down to Pegosa Springs, CO and I felt much better.

However, I pulled a stupid stunt. I stopped at a gas station, I asked the attendant if they had any RV anti-freeze. He said that he did not know, but look on the shelf, he pointed. I found the anti-freeze, Peak, Just like I had bought in Bartlesville. I dumped 3 gallons into the tank. Then I realized that it was windshield washer fluid. Oh well, I dumped in the forth one also.

We drove to Albuquerque, NM to spend the night at Wal-Mart. "I wonder what windshield washer fluid is made of", Methyl alcohol, great it is combustible. It's 9:00 PM, I could have drained it out but that would have left the fumes, it's the fumes that are combustible. You know gasoline is combustible too. We left in in because I had no way of flushing it out with water. We did not light the heater and spent the night. Next morning I drove to Borger, Texas where I filled the tank to force out the fumes. I drained the tank and put in a mix of 4 "RV" anti-freeze and 8 water.

My conclusion is that you can mix the RV anti-freeze and water. This allows us to use the MH during the winter. We will not use water mix out of the tank for the kitchen sink, but can use it in the commode. We do not drink water out of the tank anyway.

We had a real good trip and should be back home in East Texas about Saturday noon.

Thank you for your advise.

http://www.waskomtexas.com
Rolacoy is offline   Reply With Quote