Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2023, 08:40 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Permanent vs. Aisle Bath in Roadtrek

We are narrowing our choices, and wonder whether the "permanent" expanded wet bath option in the Roadtrek 190 Popular is worth giving up the third seat for.

The little sink doesn't seem all that useful, but it might be nice to have a quick, seated shower out of the aisle. I am also wondering if the ceiling height is enough for a 6' man to use the toilet standing up. (The smaller, single arrangment faces the aisle, so I don't think it's an issue there.)

Any thoughts or experience would much appreciated!
ExpressVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 09:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpressVan View Post
We are narrowing our choices, and wonder whether the "permanent" expanded wet bath option in the Roadtrek 190 Popular is worth giving up the third seat for.

The little sink doesn't seem all that useful, but it might be nice to have a quick, seated shower out of the aisle. I am also wondering if the ceiling height is enough for a 6' man to use the toilet standing up. (The smaller, single arrangment faces the aisle, so I don't think it's an issue there.)

We have had an 07 190P since new and for us the choice was "neither". We took out the third seat and put in an armoire with shelves on the existing seat base, and then cut the outside out of the base and put it back on with a hinge so we can access that area from the outside. Perfect for us. We much prefer the aisle bathroom as it is less crowded doesn't eat up all that extra space.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 09:30 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We have had an 07 190P since new and for us the choice was "neither". We took out the third seat and put in an armoire with shelves on the existing seat base, and then cut the outside out of the base and put it back on with a hinge so we can access that area from the outside. Perfect for us. We much prefer the aisle bathroom as it is less crowded doesn't eat up all that extra space.
I think that is brilliant! '07 was the year I got "van fever." I still have the '07 Roadtrek brochure, so I guess I'm still not cured.

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2023, 07:44 AM   #4
Platinum Member

My preference is the aisle shower. The wet bath takes up too much space.

The van nomads refuse to waste space on a toilet or shower. Just too much lost space for full time van living. Few of their conversions have either.They use a bucket and shower at a gym or truck stop.

I prefer to keep the toilet and aisle shower. I am not a full time van nomad and like the convenience of the toilet and shower.

My third seat went to storage, also.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 11:00 AM   #5
Platinum Member

We had a 200 Versatile with the aisle shower.

I liked the aisle shower for the storage area not taken up by a wet bath that one would generally need Vaseline and a shoehorn to actually use. One of my brothers had a wet bath in his last class B, he showered outside whenever possible.

With our Versatile aisle shower we would also deploy the ceiling fan to blow inside(weather permitting). This would tend to blow the shower curtain out, providing even more room. We also deployed the fan to blow in after the shower to dry the area and curtain, leaving the shower curtain set up while doing so.

On TDY boondocking on TVA land near Hiawassee, GA.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 07:00 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
The van nomads refuse to waste space on a toilet or shower. Just too much lost space for full time van living. Few of their conversions have either.They use a bucket and shower at a gym or truck stop.

I prefer to keep the toilet and aisle shower. I am not a full time van nomad and like the convenience of the toilet and shower.

My third seat went to storage, also.
As long-time, part-time van campers, we have portable, compact "options" for toilet and shower needs, but rarely use them.

Onboard options for both would be a nice upgrade, I must admit, and the input here has helped me clarify our priorities space-wise.

Now, if I can just find the set-up of choice.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:13 PM   #7
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=ExpressVan;
Now, if I can just find the set-up of choice.[/QUOTE]

You might consider something a little bit larger than an Express Van. A class C easily handles the stand up shower. It is probably twice as expensive to run.

A friend has an LTV Serenity with a permanent shower. Works well for him as he lost a leg and it is very inconvenient to use outside facilities.

Were I forced to start over I would look at a long, tall Ford Transit.

Along with the shower come the water tanks, water system, and water heater. It takes a lot of space in a Roadtrek 190 but I prefer it. Almost forgot the furnace. I’m such a *****.

There are some downsides in taking a shower in a van, massive condensation in cool weather is one. I still prefer to have the option.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 04:02 PM   #8

We love our wetbath and use it all the time. We do mostly sit down showers in it. We actually sought out our 09 190Pop because it did have that feature. We have the option of the outside shower but never do that because the wetbath requires so little setup and clean up. I use it even in campgrounds that have public showers, depending on the state of the showers. I would not like to use an aisle shower, too messy in the living space.
kimbpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 05:07 PM   #9

Default Armoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I saw in an old brochure that Roadtrek offered the armoir as an option. Where did you get yours and what was the installation like?
mp2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 05:23 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp2727 View Post
I saw in an old brochure that Roadtrek offered the armoir as an option. Where did you get yours and what was the installation like?

We got ours from Mobilife RV in Kitchener, but nobody even makes them anymore like they did for aftermarket.

You would need to go with a local cabinet shop.
Old 10-26-2023, 07:05 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I have a wet bath in a 144wb Sprinter that has a shower pan of 30" x 31" with the toilet in the space as kimpdx said that you could sit down as an option. It is 38" x 31" at shoulder height since the vanity sink is recessed. There is a surround pull curtain so you can keep the walls dry. It is totally private and you don't block an aisle. Actually the shower is a benefit in keeping you bathroom clean or odor free. I'd have it no other way.

If a campground has decent private showers I would use them. I just wear flip flops. There is nothing bad using the campground's water same as you luxuriously do at home vs. a Navy shower to conserve water in a van.

We can all envy Class A RV's just for bathrooms.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 07:56 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post

If a campground has decent private showers I would use them. I just wear flip flops. There is nothing bad using the campground's water same as you luxuriously do at home vs. a Navy shower to conserve water in a van.

We can all envy Class A RV's just for bathrooms.
Totally agree
Our 210 has the wet bath with aisle shower - we've never used the shower but we use the bathroom on our trips. We've had good success with decent showers at campgrounds so that's been our go-to for showers.
We're softies - we don't boondock and at a minimum want electrical hookup at campgrounds.
In a couple cases we've used one of those pop-up privacy enclosures for an outside shower/rinse. Works quite well.
TX-Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 09:09 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Davydd's post reminded me that you have to consider not only your fresh water capacity but your grey tank as well. I tend to go 4 days without needing a dump. I always do a navy shower every day using a 16oz squeeze bottle. I estimate that I put less than a gallon in the grey tank (I fill the bottle twice, once for hair rinse, once for body rinse but also fill sink several times for face and body washing). I'm guessing that we use 2-3 gal/day on dish washing, hand washing and getting ready for bed. So we're putting about 4 gal in grey/day. My gray only holds 18gal. I don't use a shower curtain so I'm careful to wipe dry wood door and trim. Even then I have to add a few coats of poly every few years.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 09:41 PM   #14
Silver Member

We have a wet bath in our PW Lexor, but the chassis is a couple of feet longer than the 190 and that makes a difference. I've never showered in it, sponge bath yes, but my wife does regularly. A wet bath was a requirement of hers when we were looking.
Sleeping Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 09:52 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Dog View Post
We have a wet bath in our PW Lexor, but the chassis is a couple of feet longer than the 190 and that makes a difference. I've never showered in it, sponge bath yes, but my wife does regularly. A wet bath was a requirement of hers when we were looking.

What chassis is your Lexor on that is longer than a Roadtrek 190 by a couple of feet?
Old 10-26-2023, 10:14 PM   #16

Default batj option

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpressVan View Post

The way you travel will determine it's value. My wife and I have had a class B since @1995. The first unit did not have a shower. 2nd unit, a RT 210 had an isle shower. We have never used it. Even on a 30 day trip to Baja Ja. We stop at RV parks or motels every 4-6 days to freshen up. We are older and not a active so not much dirt or sweat. We have used the extra seats a lot.
warrene2535@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 03:24 AM   #17
Bronze Member

Default Permanent vs aisle shower

Years ago, I toured a Roadtrek with a wet bath. The aisle to the back was much narrower. I had to walk sideways to get to the back bed. I have a 01 Roadtrek Versatile with the aisle shower. To me much more roomier. I take a shower in my RT every 3 days. My previous class B was a 89 ford falcon with the shower/tub combo in the rear with the toilet & closet. That was very tight. Much more roomy in my RT.
ChristyCappello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 02:40 PM   #18
Platinum Member

I think it depends on what in "mode" you are using your van. If I was primarily in "camping" mode I would opt for the aisle shower or outdoor shower. However, for mostly "traveling" mode, I would like to have the wet bath/shower because there is no wet curtain and floor to deal with and it is more convenient in the mornings when you just want to hit the road or in the evening after a long day. I have the aisle shower and it is great, but most of our time has been in traveling mode so far and I keep thinking that the wet bath would be nice. The aisle shower is just enough of an inconvenience that I tend to say heck with it

my $.02 YMMV
Old 10-27-2023, 03:11 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtFranz View Post
I think it depends on what in "mode" you are using your van. If I was primarily in "camping" mode I would opt for the aisle shower or outdoor shower. However, for mostly "traveling" mode, I would like to have the wet bath/shower because there is no wet curtain and floor to deal with and it is more convenient in the mornings when you just want to hit the road or in the evening after a long day. I have the aisle shower and it is great, but most of our time has been in traveling mode so far and I keep thinking that the wet bath would be nice. The aisle shower is just enough of an inconvenience that I tend to say heck with it

my $.02 YMMV
The wet bath still has wet surfaces to deal with. Best to squegee most water off. It is a hassle but worth it for us. We use the shower when campground facilities are not available or if they are too nasty to use.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 01:40 AM   #20
Platinum Member

We had the aisle shower in our first Roadtrek, a 190P. Our 210P has the wet bath. We prefer the wet bath and take a daily shower in the privacy of our RT and NEVER use a campground shower/toilet facility.

The ability to take a nice marine shower is one of the major benefits for us of the RT. We have also had three Class Cs over the years and having a dry shower in them was a real benefit, but a B is just so much easier to drive, park and utilize. With time and practice, you learn to manage the tanks and deal with their size.

We find that the shower is easily wiped down and the power vent in the bathroom really assists with a quick drying time, weather permiting.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote