Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2018, 10:06 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Pleasure-Way

I just wanted to start a general thread on this company. As an internet shopper who has gone to all the local RV shows, I have to say I’m really enamored by this company. I researched their history, downloaded all their brochures, read them going back 5 years and watched all the YouTube videos on their channel. And finally got to see the plateau FL and Lexor TS.

By the way, YouTube is a fantastic shopping tool. Bit doesn’t replace actually going into RVs and eventually test driving them, but it’s a huge advantage for learning the details and evaluating a lot of RVs you might not have known about.

I’m really impressed with their construction methodology, and I believe (including looking first hand at models from everybody) nobody is close (except maybe Leisure Travel, but alas they don’t make Bs anymore.)

So I wanted to say, anyone shopping should check out the Pleasure Way YouTube videos for the Plateau XLMB and Plateau FL.

I’m personally interested in the Lexor FL. (Its new, not on their website but some are on dealer lots— they remove the small wardrobe in front of the bathroom and relocate it to the back over the passenger side ottoman— which moves the TV back further. This is a double win for me- TV further back plus a work area up front.)

So anyone who has owned a Pleasure Way want to share their experiences? Anyone run into trouble with them? If you switched away, what made you switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:09 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Also some info I gathered— the dealer in Lakeland Florida keeps one of each PW model in stock and then sells people on them and special orders them.

PW uses a stall based approach rather than the assembly line which means one person builds the entire interior of your coach cabinetry (or a crasmftsman and an apprentice) and they work on one model at a time for years.

So their capacity is limited.

They make about 8 XLA type a month and 60 vans.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:16 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I have a 92 Pleasure Way. Built the same way they still do today. Everything is solid and the only thing that squeaks is the bathroom door because of the latch. Love it and one day I'll look at upgrading, but my current van offers me everything I need and will last for many more years.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:20 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technomadness View Post
I just wanted to start a general thread on this company. As an internet shopper who has gone to all the local RV shows, I have to say I’m really enamored by this company. I researched their history, downloaded all their brochures, read them going back 5 years and watched all the YouTube videos on their channel. And finally got to see the plateau FL and Lexor TS.

By the way, YouTube is a fantastic shopping tool. Bit doesn’t replace actually going into RVs and eventually test driving them, but it’s a huge advantage for learning the details and evaluating a lot of RVs you might not have known about.

I’m really impressed with their construction methodology, and I believe (including looking first hand at models from everybody) nobody is close (except maybe Leisure Travel, but alas they don’t make Bs anymore.)

So I wanted to say, anyone shopping should check out the Pleasure Way YouTube videos for the Plateau XLMB and Plateau FL.

I’m personally interested in the Lexor FL. (Its new, not on their website but some are on dealer lots— they remove the small wardrobe in front of the bathroom and relocate it to the back over the passenger side ottoman— which moves the TV back further. This is a double win for me- TV further back plus a work area up front.)

So anyone who has owned a Pleasure Way want to share their experiences? Anyone run into trouble with them? If you switched away, what made you switch?

Excellent build quality. However, I've got two reservations regarding Pleasureway:

Generator. There is no option for an underhood generator & inverter to replace the Onan dinosaur.

Warranty. It's for five years which is generous but it isn't transferable to a second owner so for any used PW you buy, you pay all the freight for repair work. Also, even for the first owner, after the appliance warranties expire, PW doesn't pick up the protection til the end of the five year period like Roadtrek does. However, that said it's still better protection than provided by WGO or Coachmen.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:45 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
I have a 92 Pleasure Way. Built the same way they still do today. Everything is solid and the only thing that squeaks is the bathroom door because of the latch. Love it and one day I'll look at upgrading, but my current van offers me everything I need and will last for many more years.

That’s over 25 years! Very impressive!

Old 02-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #6
Silver Member

Cruising7388 has nailed it. I think the PW products are amazing. They really stand out in person. If they'd get rid of the generator, and add a second underhood alternator, I'd buy one tomorrow. I don't need voltstart. I don't need cutting edge/untested technology. But getting rid of that generator is a must for me. Oh well, time will tell.
JakeyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:44 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeyLee View Post
Cruising7388 has nailed it. I think the PW products are amazing. They really stand out in person. If they'd get rid of the generator, and add a second underhood alternator, I'd buy one tomorrow. I don't need voltstart. I don't need cutting edge/untested technology. But getting rid of that generator is a must for me. Oh well, time will tell.

Seems like an easy modification you could make yourself. I’m not a big fan of generators but it’s worth the weight for emergency use in my opinion.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:08 PM   #8

I liked the build quality. But they all look like Vegas bordellos. Give me 4X4 and no microwave and more utility.
Mofrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Default Underhood alternator added to a PleasureWay?

I'm in a similar position. really like the PW, but intensely dislike the generator. (Noisy, weight, one more thing to break etc.)
Has anyone swapped out the generator for a 2nd under-the-hood alternator? I'm not sure if you can if the mounting bracket wasn't ordered with the fan or if would be cost effective.
joelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:42 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Seems like an easy modification you could make yourself. I’m not a big fan of generators but it’s worth the weight for emergency use in my opinion.
I wouldn't describe it as easy but it's been done by some members. You need to delete the existing separator and route 3/0 or 4/0 cable back to the batteries and integrate it with the converter. I think the brackets can be ordered from Mercedes.

No question that emergency power is valuable but IMO the Onan is less dependable than a second alternator and an inverter. Also, for a diesel power coach, for longer than brief periods, the Onan will have to be a really expensive diesel version (around $7.5k because an LPG Onan won't run very long on the amount of propane typically carried in a B
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:17 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Completely agree with others, I would have bought a PW in a heartbeat except for a few odd PW choices.

I agree with the generator comments, especially the LP generator in the Sprinter models. There is no need for a loud generator any more with 2nd alternators. It would be difficult to rewire a PW for a 2nd alternator after the fact not to mention the extra cost.

Secondly, they don't have spare tires (at least on most models). This is one of the big downsides to a generator. I have had two flat tires in remote areas in the last few years. A flat tire is one of the most common reasons for roadside assistance and is one I can easily fix if I have a spare. I go places where there is no roadside assistance. One can't be prepared for every potential emergency but we can be prepared for the most common ones.

Thirdly, they still use old fashioned 3 way absorption refrigerators. It make no sense in 2018 not to use modern 12 volt compressor refrigerators with all the advantages including no need for propane.

Lastly, I prefer a heating system that runs off the main fuel tank and not propane. A diesel (or gas) Espar furnace makes a lot of sense in a Class B RV.

These were enough reasons for me not to choose a PW even though I loved their floorpan and their build quality.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:21 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mofrid View Post
I liked the build quality. But they all look like Vegas bordellos. Give me 4X4 and no microwave and more utility.

Sounds like you want a Winnebago Revel. Minimalist interior, no microwave. 4WD

Several other winnebagos can be ordered 4WD too.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:31 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post

No question that emergency power is valuable but IMO the Onan is less dependable than a second alternator and an inverter. Also, for a diesel power coach, for longer than brief periods, the Onan will have to be a really expensive diesel version (around $7.5k because an LPG Onan won't run very long on the amount of propane typically carried in a B

Excellent points! Plus there’s all the weight of the generator. Been coming to understand that weight is a critical issue in a lot of cases.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:25 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Default Pleasure-Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
There is no need for a loud generator any more with 2nd alternators.

Secondly, they don't have spare tires (at least on most models). This is one of the big downsides to a generator.

Thirdly, they still use old fashioned 3 way absorption refrigerators.

Lastly, I prefer a heating system that runs off the main fuel tank and not propane. A diesel (or gas) Espar furnace makes a lot of sense in a Class B RV.

I think Pleasure Way is being conservative with the second alternator idea. Though I agree they are intrinsically more reliable, and they should be including them now to get experience with them. (Though they aren’t really second alternators but also aren’t “Underhood generators” either.)

It’s really weird how much of these choices come down to external suppliers. It was Truma that got hydronic heating going, not the RV companies. Though I bet Truma charges a pretty penny.

Pleasure Way is really a furniture company with a fiberglass shop.

So when Roadtrek adopts new technology it gives them quite an advantage. I just wish they made a floorplan I liked.

Spare Tires— I agree with that and I would get a hitch mount storage solution and hopefully two spare tires, plus put a bike on it.

The absorption fridges part is where your point is strongest. I know that compressor drives for RVs are a bit unreliable, and maybe this is just a warranty thing, but a residential fridge should be pretty reliable (though not sure how they handle being on the road.)

Know if anything besides the etrek with hydronic heating using vehicles fuel plus compressor fridge and an no generator, but enough capacity to get by without one? (“Get by” for me means being able to run the AC for 4 hours without plugging in— long enough to cool down at night if I can’t leave for cooler weather for some reason.)

Old 02-20-2018, 02:45 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
…………………….
It’s really weird how much of these choices come down to external suppliers. It was Truma that got hydronic heating going, not the RV companies. Though I bet Truma charges a pretty penny.
……………………….
The absorption fridges part is where your point is strongest. I know that compressor drives for RVs are a bit unreliable, and maybe this is just a warranty thing, but a residential fridge should be pretty reliable (though not sure how they handle being on the road.)
………………………..
Some correction:

Truma doesn’t have hydronic heating.
RV compressor refrigerators are more reliable than absorption ones.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:08 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Default Pleasure-Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Some correction:

Truma doesn’t have hydronic heating.

https://www.truma.com/int/en/product...a-combi-4.html

Lame. It seems so obvious if you’re heating water you could hear coolant and use an air exchanger.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:18 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Truma Combi is not hydronic based heating system, it is a diesel-powered air furnace which also heats water tank.

Hydronic heaters are usually based on Espar/Eberspacher and Webasto and a new one by Swedish Alde. Rixen Co from Sandy Oregon is using Espar Hydronic D5 hydronic heater. RV hydronic heaters are known for many years, nothing new.

Hydronic heater is based on a furnace which heats coolant which is circulating for space and water heating via heat exchangers.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:58 PM   #18
Platinum Member

The Truma Combi is also used in gas units... not just diesel.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:

Spare Tires— I agree with that and I would get a hitch mount storage solution and hopefully two spare tires, plus put a bike on it.
k
One of the best parts of my Sportsmobile build is my rear Aluminess rack with 2 deluxe storage boxes and two high quality 1UpUSA bike racks on top of the boxes. The 2nd alternator allows me to preserve the standard RV spare tire under the van (where PW puts the generator) which frees up the back space for a large amount of storage in the boxes and 2 bike racks. Plus I still have my hitch available if I need it for towing. It isn't cheap but I didn't waste money on a generator.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #20
Platinum Member

In case anyone from PW is listening... I agree with the points above. We really liked the PW Ascent but has some issues with the decisions they made:

Front seat swivels - At the time the front seats didn't swivel (they do now), and that was a HUGE downer for us. Yes, you could in theory add a swivel yourself but not a great plan IMO to buy a $100K+ van and then remove the front seats with airbags to put a swivel in.

Old Generator tech - We bought a RT Agile and LOVE the underhood generator. I might have been able to rationalize the swivel seat but the UG was a deal breaker for us. It has been great to not have to deal with essentially another engine to run, service, fuel, etc. We just turn on the engine and everything charges, etc. Note - On our RT we do not have lithiums or volt start. If PW had the UG we most likely would have purchased from them.

Propane - They still use propane for hot water and heat. Our van has zero propane (induction cooktop, Alde heat/hotwater). We have been super happy to have diesel heat (RT uses the Alde system). Super quiet and works well. That being said we did need 3 dealer trips and 8 weeks to get it all sorted. I could have lived with propane if they had an underhood generator

Anyway, everything is a compromise but PW seems to have superior build quality to other manufacturers and the right attitude regarding customer service from what I have read. Also... as a slight aside... I am a member of the PW Owners group on Yahoo and the only posts I really see are spam... no one seems to complain about a PW. We love our RT but we went into it knowing the first year would include some work to get the van to work as intended and the 4+ RT Facebook groups are filled with similar owner experiences. They have addressed them all and covered under warranty but it was part of the owner experience for us.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote