Old 08-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Roadside Assistance for Class B

I will start by saying I try to maintain and operate my Roadtrek Class B so I won't have a breakdown. In 46 years of driving I only had one breakdown that I could not fix or that required towing, and that was when the vehicle wouldn't start due to a broken wire in the starting security circuit that occurred at home.

I have bounced around between State Farm roadside, AAA, Good Sam, or having no roadside assistance plan in place. AAA and Good Sam have gone way up in price and have many bad service reports. I am considering joining FMCA and getting their roadside plan. My main concern is getting help when I am in very rural or remote locations.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

We have ours through State Farm on the vehicle insurance policies, quite inexpensive. Have use it twice in about 40 years, both times local.

My agent says full country coverage is good, (of course he does) and all you do is call the main office, or his to facilitate a tow.

booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We have ours through State Farm on the vehicle insurance policies, quite inexpensive. Have use it twice in about 40 years, both times local.

My agent says full country coverage is good, (of course he does) and all you do is call the main office, or his to facilitate a tow.
I always got a fuzzy answer from State Farm on their coverage. Do you think they would arrange for a flatbed tow in an out of the way place?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
I always got a fuzzy answer from State Farm on their coverage. Do you think they would arrange for a flatbed tow in an out of the way place?

I did ask our agent that question, and he said they would, but I don't have it in writing anywhere, which might be a good thing to get and carry. He claimed they will get whatever it takes to move the insured vehicle, including flatbed. Of course, he is an insurance agent.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:46 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I can't speak to the RV issue, but we have State Farm. We were towing an 18 ft inboard/outboard boat with our F350 diesel Crew cab 4X4 when the water pump failed on Hwy 15 about 30 miles east of Barstow, Ca. I called State Farm and they called a towing service. The service flat-bedded the truck and towed the boat. It took over an hour and a half to get back to the Barstow repair shop because you can't make a U-turn in the emergency crossovers - you have to go to an overpass like regular traffic and there aren't very many out there. The total cost of the tow was well over $1,000. State Farm covered it.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I have CoachNet and love it. Last year, I had my pickup truck (not the RV) towed via CoachNet. I had to pay the extra costs for towing it out of town to my preferred facility. State Farm reimbursed me for the extra cost. I just took a picture of the receipt and emailed to my agent.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #7
Site Team

I'm in the CoachNet camp as well. Have tried many options over the years. CoachNet has bubbled to the top. AAA is a nightmare--if for no other reason, look carefully at the geographic coverage exclusions and total cost. Good Sam is just a marketing organization reselling Allstate. They are OK (especially since GS has apparently eased up a bit on their ridiculous marketing practices). But CoachNet is the class act. When you call them, you actually get to talk to somebody who sounds like they care. In my limited experience, they carefully follow the course of your predicament. Pretty impressive.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:50 PM   #8
Gold Member

Interesting thread. How do you deal with it when you're in a "no service" cell area? Curious because I do have a Garmin capable of satelite communication via text messages. Wonder if any companies out there have the ability to respond to text messages.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:15 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default What do you mean by remote location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
I will start by saying I try to maintain and operate my Roadtrek Class B so I won't have a breakdown. In 46 years of driving I only had one breakdown that I could not fix or that required towing, and that was when the vehicle wouldn't start due to a broken wire in the starting security circuit that occurred at home.

I have bounced around between State Farm roadside, AAA, Good Sam, or having no roadside assistance plan in place. AAA and Good Sam have gone way up in price and have many bad service reports. I am considering joining FMCA and getting their roadside plan. My main concern is getting help when I am in very rural or remote locations.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
First, I hope you mean you can still make a cellphone call??? if you can't then that's an entirely different conversation.... I have an answer for you, but, first let me know if that's where you're going with that question..

Second, I've had AAA roadside assistance for 38 years.... let me tell you, yeah, they're more expensive, but, they're the best there is. They will come anywhere to your location as long as you're on the road.... not "off road", if you know what I mean.

Third, AAA Premiere RV is what you need.... period.

All of the other services are "also rans"... look, AAA has been around over 100 years.... enough said.

Now, if you mean "remote" as in you're not sure about cell phone service, let me know and I'll respond.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:18 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Default Garmin - text satellite is the way to go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Interesting thread. How do you deal with it when you're in a "no service" cell area? Curious because I do have a Garmin capable of satelite communication via text messages. Wonder if any companies out there have the ability to respond to text messages.
I hope you have the "In Reach Explorer"... ?? Yes, that's perfect.

And, NO... there's no really good alternative to that, I've checked that out thoroughly.

Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote