Old 10-11-2019, 09:39 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Roadtrek P190 Cabinets Sagging

I had noticed some time ago that the door on the cabinet next to the microwave doesn’t latch and appears misaligned. During our recent trip I discovered that both galley cabinets- microwave and the one next to it- appear to be pulling out of the ceiling and separating. If I push up against the bottom of the cabinets there is a quarter to half an inch of play, and the pieces seem to come together.

Here’s the affected cabinetry with the area of concern circled.
7382556B-4CBC-47CD-B75C-73C3F10C133E.jpg

In this photo you can see the misalignment of the cabinet door.
24A4BAD5-4AA6-4BE0-AF75-540D73F1FDBA.jpg

Close-up showing separation and gap between top of cabinet and headliner.
5014E012-9F0D-45CD-BA74-69E4A34D20B0.jpg

The only visible attachment screw is toward the front end of the storage cabinet, and it is solid.
75394B6B-DB7C-4959-A43D-CCDC17FDF3A9.jpg

I’m thinking there must be at least one more inside the microwave enclosure. I think I need to pull the microwave, but I can’t see how it is attached. There is a piece of stainless steel under the cabinets. If I remove that, will I find screws holding the microwave?

Any suggestions or personal experience? I’d also appreciate some general information about how the cabinets are attached to the fiberglass roof. What am I dealing with behind the headliner? Are there wood strips embedded in the fiberglass?

Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:22 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hi Jon,

Ah, Roadtrek quality and "The Butcher of Kitchener" strike again. : (

The cabinets are not supported/attached to the ceiling in any way. Most of the support is provided by the galley "box" itself which is screwed to the floor. The galley is also attached to the adjacent closet/cabinet. The overhead galley cabinet is fastened to what was originally the box beam (I call it the bolster) at the juncture of the side wall and original roof behind the microwave. The adjacent closet/cabinet also has a bracket to that bolster. IIRC, that is all there is.

Thanks to Booster for this tidbit: There are two boards under the microwave. It is fastened to the upper one of those (but the fasteners are inaccessible), and the board in turn is fastened to the piece of solid wood trim just below the microwave. To pull the microwave you have to remove 2 screws underneath that fasten the two boards together, and then pull/jiggle the microwave, the board, and the trim piece out. Mine was/is quite "sticky".

On my way out the door, but if this doesn't help enough, I might be able to find (or create) some photos later.

What year is yours?

Good luck, Dick

dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
Platinum Member

It’s a 2014. Thanks for the tip about the microwave.

“Butcher of Kitchener”... hadn’t heard that before. I never had any illusions about build quality, since it was originally purchased by my mother, and I helped her fix a number of build quality issues when she made her first trip to visit us in Arizona. I winced at the thick, heavy, particle board cabinet cases, from which several screws had already pulled out in a shower of wood dust.

So now I’m thinking in terms of some kind of reinforcement under the front edge of the upper cabinets that spans the whole galley. Any ideas regarding what material to use for strength and a neat appearance? With the microwave out, I’ll also look for ways to tie the two cabinets together more securely.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:04 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It’s a 2014. Thanks for the tip about the microwave.

“Butcher of Kitchener”... hadn’t heard that before. I never had any illusions about build quality, since it was originally purchased by my mother, and I helped her fix a number of build quality issues when she made her first trip to visit us in Arizona. I winced at the thick, heavy, particle board cabinet cases, from which several screws had already pulled out in a shower of wood dust.

So now I’m thinking in terms of some kind of reinforcement under the front edge of the upper cabinets that spans the whole galley. Any ideas regarding what material to use for strength and a neat appearance? With the microwave out, I’ll also look for ways to tie the two cabinets together more securely.
Thanks for your PM.

Ours is a 2010, and I don't think there is any particle board, but rather plywood. Perhaps they changed, and that might be the root of your problem. However, some of the joints are screws into the plywood edges, so not very secure (although some are also in routed grooves: "dado's"). There are better fasteners (then the sheet metal type screws used on ours) out there that are made for particle board and such; they have much steeper/coarser threads: https://woodworkingtoolkit.com/best-...le-boards-mdf/.

Again from Booster (what would we do without him?) that I forgot: the microwave cabinet is also screwed to the cabinet behind it. That cabinet sits on and is screwed to the bolster.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:27 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Dick has had a whole lot more of the parts of his Roadtrek apart than most anyone, I think, so he is the best source for fastener locations and such, both missing and present, and put in, not put in, or stripped by the "butcher".

The "particle board" thing is a pretty common misconception, I think, as the pylwood used is super lightweight stuff in which the cores are made of something like balsa wood. The screwholding ability is horrible and when they pull out or strip you do get particle board looking stuff. Even when you bolt through, the stuff compresses.

Screw selection can help as Dick said, and also putting adhesive on the screws when you put them in can be a benefit, but bolting through and using T nuts is way better if possible.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:29 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I had noticed some time ago that the door on the cabinet next to the microwave doesn’t latch and appears misaligned. During our recent trip I discovered that both galley cabinets- microwave and the one next to it- appear to be pulling out of the ceiling and separating. If I push up against the bottom of the cabinets there is a quarter to half an inch of play, and the pieces seem to come together.

Here’s the affected cabinetry with the area of concern circled.
Attachment 8214

In this photo you can see the misalignment of the cabinet door.
Attachment 8215

Close-up showing separation and gap between top of cabinet and headliner.
Attachment 8216

The only visible attachment screw is toward the front end of the storage cabinet, and it is solid.
Attachment 8217

I’m thinking there must be at least one more inside the microwave enclosure. I think I need to pull the microwave, but I can’t see how it is attached. There is a piece of stainless steel under the cabinets. If I remove that, will I find screws holding the microwave?

Any suggestions or personal experience? I’d also appreciate some general information about how the cabinets are attached to the fiberglass roof. What am I dealing with behind the headliner? Are there wood strips embedded in the fiberglass?
Oops, in looking at my galley cabinets to see where you could add some support, and then looking back at your photos, I see some major differences, so now all my earlier comments are in question. : ( It looks like you only have the microwave and then one cabinet in front of it. Ours is like that, but we also have a long, low cabinet over both of those, so I think your microwave is mounted higher than ours, and it may or may not be mounted the same (poor) way as ours. And because you don't have the extra cabinet up above, I have no good explanation of the screw your red arrow is pointing to. We have a bunch of these in the cabinet "ceiling", but they tie that cabinet to the extra cabinet above.

In answer to your question "Are there wood strips embedded in the fiberglass?", the answer is yes, and I have previously posted some photos of them in another thread (I'll have to see where, or repost them here), BUT they may have modified those locations between 2010 & 2014. So perhaps that screw you pointed out does indeed attach to the ceiling/roof.

We also don't have a piece of stainless under the microwave, only a stainless backsplash, a formed stainless cover around the bolster, and a piece of stainless under the cabinet (which is over the stove). Could you provide some more photos?
Old 10-12-2019, 09:58 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I didn't see the missing top cabinet, either. They much have done that to get rid of the microwave head bonker we have, which sits way low. Tough to brush teeth with it there. I wonder when they changed that?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:51 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Yes, just the two cabinets over the galley, tight against the ceiling. I’ll take a picture of the underside when I have a chance. There are two screw heads under the microwave but toward the front, not into the microwave itself. If they’re still using the same mounting technique (which makes sense), they would be holding the board holding the microwave. I’ll be pretty busy from tomorrow,, but I’ll at least try those two screws and see if they release the microwave as described. I’m really curious if there are any more screws into the ceiling.

I can’t imagine the cabinets hanging any lower than they are. Head bonker, indeed! Not to worry, though. Mine has plenty of other head bonkers, and I’ve found them all...

Good to know about the case material. At least it’s not so heavy, though it’s space-robbing, and there are better ways to build cabinets in a rolling earthquake zone.

Thanks for the help, all! This forum is a great place.