Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #161
Platinum Member

Another ecotrek battery issue reported

Bobby R. Jones on the facebook roadtrekkers page has posted that his pickup

of his zion with 400 ecotrek has been cancelled because of issues with the batteries.

I don't know the exact issue-and neither does he.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:44 AM   #162
Platinum Member

If it were my dealer, he would tell me what the issue was as the tech understood it. I've got my fingers crossed for the new Zion owners down in Nebraska with their Eco400. Thus far, they haven't reported any issues.

Things worked fine for me this past week visiting friends and family and driveway camping. My uncle even has a 30 amp plug. I still want to test the 12v system and make it shut down again... to see if the normal process will bring it back up... and it won't take down the 120v system again. But before I do it, I am going to run it by the tech at the factory so that I don't inadvertently cause a bigger problem. But this seems to me to be a process that any owner of the Eco Trek system should know how to handle.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:44 PM   #163
Platinum Member

Andrew Covington- ecotrek battery issues on his 1600 amp hour 'deathstar'-stuck at dealership
Old 09-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #164
Platinum Member

Well it's not the new product roll-out Roadtrek would have wanted but it's better that these problems have been discovered so early before too many customers are affected.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:08 PM   #165
Platinum Member

So... now we have two stuck at their dealers. ugh...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 09-20-2015, 01:40 AM   #166
Platinum Member

Very disappointing. Everyone keeps hoping they will get their act together and fulfill their promotional hype promises, but it looks like it isn't going to happen (again). I think they need to back off on the self praise for a while and release new stuff more slowly to Beta customers, to make sure they are right. I feel sorry for the techs that have to deal with customers and dealers all day.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:53 PM   #167
Bronze Member

My dealer, the one who sells the most RTs each year, is not receiving a response from RT about when my Zion will be ready. Maybe that means they're making sure it works properly. Sure. Right.
sammie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #168
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammie14 View Post
My dealer, the one who sells the most RTs each year, is not receiving a response from RT about when my Zion will be ready. Maybe that means they're making sure it works properly. Sure. Right.
i actually think they are trying to make sure
Old 09-20-2015, 01:41 PM   #169
Platinum Member

I think they are going to find they will have to regroup and consider a more sophisticated system monitor display. Even better, something where they can hook it up to a laptop and it can be diagnosed and be adjusted remotely from Roadtrek. Advanced RV, I believe, can monitor their rigs via the cellular network, correct Davydd?

If every one of these will have to go back to the mothership for repair, they are going to get swamped right away with plenty of customers with pitchforks. Angry customers on their doorstep, not 1500 miles away at their dealer in Podunk.

Additionally, they are going to have to have some kind of display that lets owners be assured that everything is operating normally. Not 4 dummy lights - it's rather appalling that they think a guy who'll pay this kind of money will accept that.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #170
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
i actually think they are trying to make sure
I so hope you are right.
sammie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:22 PM   #171
Platinum Member

I agree with Wincrasher, they probably need to get away from the sealed "magic box" and get to a place where folks can see what is going on. A skeptic might say they haven't done it already because folks would see that things weren't working all that well.

It would be a big blow if they have to stop shipping until they get all things fixed, and totally redo what is already in the field.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:45 PM   #172
Platinum Member

Just get it to work thats all they have to do
Old 09-20-2015, 10:29 PM   #173
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
Just get it to work thats all they have to do
Yep, but don't you think part of that would be to have folks be able to see how much battery they have left, and to see how much they are using so they can adjust as necessary?
Old 09-20-2015, 10:32 PM   #174
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Yep, but don't you think part of that would be to have folks be able to see how much battery they have left, and to see how much they are using so they can adjust as necessary?
actually they probably do. Mumkin has a control screen with no instructions=that is typical roadtrek-no instructions. it's a control screen that comes with ecotrek-it probably has it-if she could ever get instructions-lol
Old 09-20-2015, 10:55 PM   #175
Platinum Member

Take a look at the one I showed in my Hershey report and confirm if that is what you are talking about.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:07 PM   #176
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Take a look at the one I showed in my Hershey report and confirm if that is what you are talking about.
no-that's the inverter/charger. Mumkin told us about another screen- i will look for it
Old 09-20-2015, 11:09 PM   #177
Platinum Member

That isn't the controller, that is the inverter. I can't see that as it is under my sofa. I was told basically... no need to touch it. (which in my case is probably good advice.)

The BMS along with a screen branded Samkoon are in the cabinet above the sofa on the driver's side... the inverter is below... same side.

The screen gives me a constant reading that I assume is supposed to be battery status. It stays between 12.8 and 14.2. It is at the higher numbers after driving or being plugged in... which makes sense. There is other stuff on the screen, but as Gerry said, I have no manual or instructions for this, so I don't know the significance of any of it.

Sure would be nice to have a Trimetric, but I don't know where I could even put it in the itty bitty 170.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 09-20-2015, 11:13 PM   #178
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
That isn't the controller, that is the inverter. I can't see that as it is under my sofa. I was told basically... no need to touch it. (which in my case is probably good advice.)

The BMS along with a screen branded Samkoon are in the cabinet above the sofa on the driver's side... the inverter is below... same side.

The screen gives me a constant reading that I assume is supposed to be battery status. It stays between 12.8 and 14.2. It is at the higher numbers after driving or being plugged in... which makes sense. There is other stuff on the screen, but as Gerry said, I have no manual or instructions for this, so I don't know the significance of any of it.

Sure would be nice to have a Trimetric, but I don't know where I could even put it in the itty bitty 170.

SAMKOON HMI Touch Screen SA-5.7A, 5.7" HMI Genuine original

she has this but does not know how to use it-
Old 09-20-2015, 11:35 PM   #179
Platinum Member

LOL. I asked to see such a screen to Jim and one of this salespeople and they didn't point to this. They pointed to the under-hood voltmeter. Hillarious - do they even know what they are selling?
Old 09-20-2015, 11:37 PM   #180
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
LOL. I asked to see such a screen to Jim and one of this salespeople and they didn't point to this. They pointed to the under-hood voltmeter. Hillarious - do they even know what they are selling?
this screen is only in roadtreks that have ecotrek(lithium) batteries-it is one of the upper cabinets usually

it is possible that they've now changed to the underhood device you saw-i only know of mumkins