Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #21
Platinum Member

I'm confused... so the Boldt will have a B model and a C model?
Nevermind... the two photos confused me. That is the Boldt and the View.

So... the Boldt is replacing the ERA? Why not just call it the new and improved Era? Rather than give it a name with a word that doesn't exist in English...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:46 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I'm confused... so the Boldt will have a B model and a C model?
Nevermind... the two photos confused me. That is the Boldt and the View.

So... the Boldt is replacing the ERA? Why not just call it the new and improved Era? Rather than give it a name with a word that doesn't exist in English...
My reading is that the Boldt is a Class B that must be replacing the ERA and it is available with two floor plans and the Class C View keeps the same name but gets a new camper body style.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
ERA must not have rated highly with the marketing folks

Boldt sounds 'radical, edgy, current'

The Revel targeted a different market and the Boldt appears to do the same.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:28 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
ERA must not have rated highly with the marketing folks

Boldt sounds 'radical, edgy, current'

The Revel targeted a different market and the Boldt appears to do the same.
The ERA was competing in the market against a a lot of me too Sprinter Class B’s (maybe less if Roadtrek stays out of the business). Sure they have some differences but they are all basically the same in terms of the target market.

If the Boldt targets a younger demographic, which has been the focus of the custom Sprinter builders (Sportsmobile, Outside Van, etc.), with 4 season capability and other features targeted to this market at a lower price point then they should have a better chance of carving out a customer base that is not being served by the mass producers.

I think the success of the Revel is a good example of this strategy...
Old 03-12-2019, 10:15 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Available in April 2019
Old 03-13-2019, 01:30 AM   #26
Bronze Member

A more in-depth look at the new Winnebago Boltd from fitRV:

And the Winnebago page has been updated with the specifications of the Boltd:

https://winnebagoind.com/products/cl...19/boldt/boldt

Starting at $185,000.... That's $35K more than the outgoing Era (but adds Pure3 Lithium with a 33% bigger battery bank than on the Travato KL/GL).

Still ouch ouch...
tooTallforB? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:00 AM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooTallforB? View Post
A more in-depth look at the new Winnebago Boltd from fitRV:

And the Winnebago page has been updated with the specifications of the Boltd:

https://winnebagoind.com/products/cl...19/boldt/boldt

Starting at $185,000.... That's $35K more than the outgoing Era (but adds Pure3 Lithium with a 33% bigger battery bank than on the Travato KL/GL).

Still ouch ouch...
I agree.

Nice? Yes.

Desireable? Very.

Affordable? Sorry, no.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:47 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I agree.

Nice? Yes.

Desireable? Very.

Affordable? Sorry, no.

When they started calling it the luxury Revel I knew the price would be insane. I just do not understand who is buying these. I dont get it. If I have this money to spend, that money is going to Advanced RV, not Winnebago. Are people really financing RVs of this price? The interest paid over the course of a loan like that would be crippling to think about.
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:55 AM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowtime3 View Post
When they started calling it the luxury Revel I knew the price would be insane. I just do not understand who is buying these. I dont get it. If I have this money to spend, that money is going to Advanced RV, not Winnebago. Are people really financing RVs of this price? The interest paid over the course of a loan like that would be crippling to think about.
The price of the Boldt is somewhat less than what you would pay for an Advanced RV unless you were picking up a used one so they have a customer base somewhat different than Advanced RV, those who won’t pay the premium for a custom build but want some of the same features.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:32 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Having some experience of converting my own van with top notch equipment I am struggling to understand their price, it seems as their cost and price came from two different universes. This $150-300K price range is good for folks which accumulated sufficient wealth and mostly retired, but I don’t believe it is growing like a younger family market segment would be.

Traveling through EU often I can see that EU and NA camper van markets are very different, with EU tuned for younger folks.

I remember the first and the last digital watch from HP with red LED displays, in seventies these watches were about $700, so tuned for folks who could afford but their reading capabilities of small LED characters and keyboard were limited. So, too expensive for younger folks, unreadable for older ones. It was a great but very short-lived project.

I also remember program manager from HP stating that LCD will never work because it is based on organic polymer, this was 1977.

Back to prices, in my view if B-class larger manufacturers are not going to tune their product designs and prices to younger generation their business growth will be limited at best.
Attached Images
File Type: png 123.png (1.40 MB, 17 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:10 AM   #31
Platinum Member

They have the Travato and Revel to address the younger market with the Boldt targeting the higher end market which also includes the customers who are downsizing from their larger Class A’s.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:38 AM   #32
Platinum Member

I don’t think $100K Travato or $150K Revel are tuned for potentially large market of young families. My reference points are our old VW Westfalia Campers then perfect for my young family, first one in 1977 for$7K (today equivalent of $30K) and the second one in 1985 for $20K ($47K today). Yes, I didn’t have Li bank (wouldn’t have one today), no water heater, LPG fridge but we loved it for real camping enjoying our beautiful West Coast parks.

Purchases were easy, prices were set by Volkswagen, walked into a VW dealer and drive off the lot. Fortunately, there was no pleasure of dealing with RV sales folks.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:56 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Default Thor is getting into the B game

Only a concept...maybe brought something over from Europe. Link does not even reference a chassis

https://www.rvbusiness.com/blog/tmc-...rvx-event.html
Old 03-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisefx View Post
Only a concept...maybe brought something over from Europe. Link does not even reference a chassis

https://www.rvbusiness.com/blog/tmc-...rvx-event.html
I read the working name for the concept is:

Straße Trekking 2.0
Old 03-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Having some experience of converting my own van with top notch equipment I am struggling to understand their price, it seems as their cost and price came from two different universes. This $150-300K price range is good for folks which accumulated sufficient wealth and mostly retired, but I don’t believe it is growing like a younger family market segment would be.

Traveling through EU often I can see that EU and NA camper van markets are very different, with EU tuned for younger folks.

I remember the first and the last digital watch from HP with red LED displays, in seventies these watches were about $700, so tuned for folks who could afford but their reading capabilities of small LED characters and keyboard were limited. So, too expensive for younger folks, unreadable for older ones. It was a great but very short-lived project.

I also remember program manager from HP stating that LCD will never work because it is based on organic polymer, this was 1977.

Back to prices, in my view if B-class larger manufacturers are not going to tune their product designs and prices to younger generation their business growth will be limited at best.
Revels sold through the roof right? People are going into insane debt for these things. I wonder what % of buyers are cash buyers. Doubt its very high.

And Winnebago and these companies know they have no real competition from people selling cheaper self builds because its impossible to finance the purchase of someones self build.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
I read the working name for the concept is:

Straße Trekking 2.0
This name could be translated to Street Camping, implying staying in cities. I would than pick a name “Stealthy Walmarter”
Old 03-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
The price of the Boldt is somewhat less than what you would pay for an Advanced RV unless you were picking up a used one so they have a customer base somewhat different than Advanced RV, those who won’t pay the premium for a custom build but want some of the same features.
When you are at $180k for a van, jumping up to 200 or so doesnt really matter. If im paying that money, theres no way I want Winnebago building it. I want the proven, highest level craftsmanship of Advanced RV. And getting it just how I want it. IMO, this type of offset twin bed setup is the worst possible option.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I don’t think $100K Travato or $150K Revel are tuned for potentially large market of young families. My reference points are our old VW Westfalia Campers then perfect for my young family, first one in 1977 for$7K (today equivalent of $30K) and the second one in 1985 for $20K ($47K today). Yes, I didn’t have Li bank (wouldn’t have one today), no water heater, LPG fridge but we loved it for real camping enjoying our beautiful West Coast parks.

Purchases were easy, prices were set by Volkswagen, walked into a VW dealer and drive off the lot. Fortunately, there was no pleasure of dealing with RV sales folks.
You see more tiny vans like that in Europe. Only know of a couple here. Recon Campers got a deal with Nissan to sell right at Nissan dealers.

https://www.reconcampers.com/envy
Old 03-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
When you are at $180k for a van, jumping up to 200 or so doesnt really matter.
Can you say "slippery slope"?

Can you still get an ARV for $200K?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
When you are at $180k for a van, jumping up to 200 or so doesnt really matter. If im paying that money, theres no way I want Winnebago building it. I want the proven, highest level craftsmanship of Advanced RV. And getting it just how I want it. IMO, this type of offset twin bed setup is the worst possible option.
But, you are not going to pay $180,000 for a Boldt, with a typical discount it will be in the $140,000s. And not many Advanced RVs come in at the base price once you start getting what you really want.

But, to each his own...