Old 02-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
BBQ
Platinum Member

Default Sprinter vs Chevy

This is a very nice write-up.

The author is an engineer; you can tell by the objective way he describes each vehicle and experience.

Detailed Comparison - Sprinter and Chevy Camper Vans

Roadtrekking 210 - http://roadtrek210.blogspot.com/: Camper Van Comparison

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:25 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Thanks for posting, it was really informative. We bought the 210 this time, after looking at the Sprinter. We had an '05, really like it, so moving to the 210 was logical. One of the big things for me is it is a Chevy, and I can get parts and service performed at any Chevy Dealer, or garage for that matter.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:01 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I'll point a neighbor to that- thanks.

he is looking at my PW on a chev and the other nieghbors PW sprinter to see what appeals to him.

As above parts, service and DIY make me favour the chev. But I think for an owner who is going t depend on a shop for even oil changes, that would be less a factor...although the chev would likely cost less for each equivalent service than an MB

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:55 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

This is a very nice write-up.

The author is an engineer; you can tell by the objective way he describes each vehicle and experience.

Detailed Comparison - Sprinter and Chevy Camper Vans

Roadtrekking 210 - http://roadtrek210.blogspot.com/: Camper Van Comparison
The comparisons are not completely accurate because the standard equipment profiles for both builders using these platforms have changed in current production in addition to the addition of recent options.

IMO, one thing in favor of the Chevy 210 is that Roadtrek has been building and refining this model for close to 25 years which most likely has served to correct shortcomings in the original design. They also have a lot more flexibility regarding modifying the platform (e.g. lengthening it) that Mercedes prohibits for Sprinter van builders (e.g. you are not permitted to drill any holes in their chassis).

I doubt that the Chevy 210 will stay in production much longer and will be resigned for the Promaster or Transit platform.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:17 AM   #5
Platinum Member

It was pretty much an apples to oranges comparison with different miles and conditions driven. I think a better comparison would have been with a 3500 22'-9" Sprinter Roadtrek of 1'-3" difference than a 2500 Sprinter that is 2'-0" shorter and seemingly of unknown converter.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:36 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
It was pretty much an apples to oranges comparison with different miles and conditions driven. I think a better comparison would have been with a 3500 22'-9" Sprinter Roadtrek of 1'-3" difference than a 2500 Sprinter that is 2'-0" shorter and seemingly of unknown converter.
Good point. The 210 (and the 170/190) is at this juncture the only Class B game in town for the Chevy platform, but there are a dozen of Sprinter builders that provide significantly different products.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:46 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I think it could also be very probable that when the Chevy based 210 goes away, it could be replaced with a Hymer style small C on a Promaster or Transit cutaway. The 210 has as much in common, or more, with a class C as it does with class b units, so it would be a natural way to go.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:18 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The 210 has as much in common, or more, with a class C as it does with class b units.....
Uh oh, is this going to result in an executive order banning 210 owners from the forum?
Old 02-10-2017, 03:24 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Nah, they let the Roadtrek 200 owners be here, and those are totally a C, so 210s will still be able to get in, and they do start with a full van, there just isn't much of it left when they are done.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:49 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Nah, they let the Roadtrek 200 owners be here, and those are totally a C, so 210s will still be able to get in, and they do start with a full van, there just isn't much of it left when they are done.
OK, I gotta make sure I've got this right. If you start with a cutaway, even if it ends up looking like a dead ringer for a Sprinter, it's still a class C but as long as you start with a full van, even if it ends up looking like a bloated white whale, it's still a class B?