Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2023, 03:47 AM   #1

Default Tent or RV site when making a reservation

We are new to the class b world, we always tent camped. When making a reservation but don’t need/want hook ups can you just reserve a tent site or do you need to reserve a RV site? Our 2006 RT adventurous is 22ft long?
Zwillingsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 04:23 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I usually want at least a 30A pedestal so this generally isn't an issue for me personally, but it's going to depend on the campground. Some private campgrounds may not allow you to stay on a tent site with a motorhome; one or two state campgrounds I've stayed at didn't allow any vehicles at all on tent sites - they had a parking area separate from the camp sites & you had to carry your stuff in, so that obviously wouldn't work for an RV.

Also, some campgrounds may want to keep tent campers a bit separated from RVs so the tent campers don't have to listen to generators & air conditioners, and wouldn't appreciate you trying to sneak a motorhome in there. In the most extreme cases - like Denali - they have entire campgrounds set aside for tent campers.

I find it's best to be honest with the campground about what I'm driving & what kind of site I want, let them do their best to accommodate me, and accept that I'll sometimes wind up on a site that provides more hookups than I need.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the parking spot in a tent site might not be as level as it would be in an RV site, since only the tent needs to be level. I've been in one or two sites where even with leveling blocks I couldn't get level enough for the fridge to work. I don't think I've ever had that happen with an RV site.
Old 08-01-2023, 04:44 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I believe you can reserve tent sites as long as there is no length restriction, like "20 ft max".

Usually it means "no hook-up".

Some places say "tent only", but I think it is more directed towards those class A 🚌 busses. Our campers are often not that different from other vans or pickups.
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 12:27 PM   #4
Site Team

There are many campgrounds in which "tents only" means "tents only". Often, you can't even drive up to the tenting area, but need to park in a nearby parking area.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 01:54 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We are 18’. If we are reserving directly, instead of online, I usually say, "All we need is a flat spot." We are very rarely directed to an RV area if there is a tent area available. If we are, it's usually because the tent area is unsuitable as described above.

If we are parked near tenters, we minimize the interior light (we don’t usually cover windows) and we don't run the heater.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 02:03 PM   #6
Platinum Member

It all depends. Everyone gave you all the caveats of tent sites. Tenters often camp with the RV's only they just pitch a tent. The best you can do is look at a site plan, read the restrictions, and judge a bit if the site is appropriate for a Class B. Some campgrounds have actual photos of each site. Reserving a campground site, sight unseen for the first time, is always a crap toss. I guarantee there will be a better site that you should have taken. That is the pitfall of making reservations.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 02:09 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
There are many campgrounds in which "tents only" means "tents only". Often, you can't even drive up to the tenting area, but need to park in a nearby parking area.
Those are called "Walk-in" over here.
Old 08-01-2023, 02:34 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
Those are called "Walk-in" over here.
Often, yes.
But there is a continuum between "hiking a quarter-mile to the shorefront" and "stepping over a curb". The former are more likely to be labelled as walk-ins.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:43 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwillingsmama View Post
We are new to the class b world, we always tent camped. When making a reservation but don’t need/want hook ups can you just reserve a tent site or do you need to reserve a RV site? Our 2006 RT adventurous is 22ft long?

True an RV Park, will charge you for everything used or not. Each are privately owned in most cases and then there are a few chain operations. You're not just paying for the RV space and hook-ups but the amenities. State Parks and county Parks maybe a better option, unless you can get a special deal with the RV Park owner as it's all about money. As they do have showers, pools, etc. during my youth in scouts and young Marines, we stayed on farmland, military bases, state parks. Not sure what state you are in but look for an REI or Bass Pro as they may know about local tent camping areas. You may also want to check out the website campingtipsforeveryone (dot) com/ this is a 101 for tent campers website.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote