Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2023, 02:03 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default West coast rv

Are rv's that are used along the west coast within a short distance from the ocean prone to rusting from the salt air? Reason for asking is a friend is looking at an RV that spent 10 plus years in the Torrence Redondo beach area of California. He seems to think the pictures he has been sent don't show enough. I told him to get a video walk around and go from there. Any info, especially from West Coasters or anyone living by the ocean would help. Thanks
ph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 08:40 PM   #2
Gold Member

Living 19 blocks from the beach for 27 yrs in SoCal, I got basically surface rust instead of the nasty flakey rust from Michigan.
Old 07-23-2023, 07:52 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I wouldn't worry about it...chassis today are far better proyected....just keep an eye on it
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 11:40 PM   #4

Yes, things rust near the ocean. In a big way. The longer the exposure, the worse it gets. Protective coatings can help, but it is inevitable. The chassis generally lasts a long time, but little fittings (such as propane inlets, etc.) get that rusty look quickly. Typically they are made of light metal and not well protected against exposure. Garaging, regular rinsing, and other care can slow it down a lot.

Don't buy without a visual inspection if extensive salt exposure is involved. Same issue for road salt in some areas of the country far from the ocean.
Trav59KL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 12:26 PM   #5
Platinum Member

As a former east coaster for 20 years on the coast, I would say yes. Even the rain water seems to be salty. Your friend should exercise caution and vigilance when purchasing the vehicle. (IMO) His vehicle inspection should start under the vehicle. Look at frame members, drive shaft, universal joints, brake lines, transmission cooler lines, and fuel lines especially. If he can't get under the vehicle, bring a pair of chocks so that the RV can be backed on, to look underneath. Next, look carefully at the roof, especially where the AC unit and vent are attached. If these two areas are free of rust, breathe easier and then proceed with the rest of the inspection. Wheel wells, windshield trim, body trim points and anywhere else that may trap salt and moisture. A little rust is not necessarily a deal breaker; just have to factor in body repair. Major rust around the windshield can be a major expense. I always looked for all of the deal breaking areas before I fell in love with the good stuff. Don't let the seller try to steer you away from the areas that you are scrutinizing. May be hard to capture this on video. Good luck.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote