Old 09-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default What do you wish you DIDN'T have?

Like many people, I bought a "standard" RV, meaning it wasn't custom built for me. Not knowing what I would want or not want, I picked a fairly generic build. I could have upgraded to a second solar panel and an induction cooktop, but didn't feel the need.

Now that I've spent some time in the van, it's clear I will never use the TV, DVD player, satellite input, and antenna. Will probably never swivel the passenger seat (driver's seat didn't come with swivel - and we wouldn't have used it). Will probably never use the black tank flush (nothing solid goes in there).

The AC could have been smaller - it starts at gale-force and goes up from there...so that could have been downsized.

I'm reserving judgment on whether we will use the awning (haven't used it so far), the outside water sprayer, and the outside AC outlet (not the one for shore power).

Don't misunderstand - I'm not unhappy with these things, it's just that I don't need them and the manufacturer could have saved some money if they had been options. It also would have meant five fewer holes in the outside skin of the van.

So what do you have on your rig that you could live without?

Old 09-23-2017, 03:25 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I am one of the DIY crowd, so, a little outside of your question's scope. Big difference is that my finger can point at me only. We like a lot about our conversion but microwave was a mistake not only from the perspective of microwave itself but required infrastructure to be able to run it off the grid. Since 2013 we did not use it once, should have listen to our past experience of having them but never used them.

Regarding your list we like a lot: both front seats swivel, awning, LED projection TV.

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Now that I've spent some time in the van, it's clear I will never use the TV, DVD player, satellite input, and antenna. Will probably never swivel the passenger seat (driver's seat didn't come with swivel - and we wouldn't have used it). Will probably never use the black tank flush (nothing solid goes in there).

The AC could have been smaller - it starts at gale-force and goes up from there...so that could have been downsized.

I'm reserving judgment on whether we will use the awning (haven't used it so far), the outside water sprayer, and the outside AC outlet (not the one for shore power).

Don't misunderstand - I'm not unhappy with these things, it's just that I don't need them and the manufacturer could have saved some money if they had been options. It also would have meant five fewer holes in the outside skin of the van.
I think the main issue is that switching to a-la-cart RVs would make the manufacture process MORE expensive because it would slow things down while the factory line is going through this, but not this, that, but not that. So even though it feels to us like it should cost less money, it actually makes it more expensive for the converter. So, they choose to include the things that the majority of buyers want.

Like you, I never use the TV system and pulled it out of mine, but it can quickly be reinstalled for the next purchaser. I have never once used the awning in any of my 3 rigs. I also don't even use my black tank in my current rig. I have also never used that outside shower or electrical plug

Odd detail... while we all complain about the noise our AC makes, every other complaint that I read on boards is that they are too small and don't cool the van enough. There is just no pleasing us.

Speaking of extra holes in the side of the rig. I chose the option of NOT getting a 3 system fridge, but a compressor fridge mainly because of not having to worry about leveling, but also to not have those vent holes cut in the side. But, guess what? I got the compressor fridge AND the two unnecessary vent holes cut in the side. Sometimes you just can't win. Different spots on the factory line, I guess.

But all of the things that you mentioned (that we don't use) could interfere with your finding a purchaser for your rig in the future because they want it.

For instance, I ordered my first rig without a generator, but with a gen set in case the next purchaser wanted one. Sure enough, that was the BIG issue for the next buyer. He immediately installed one. I ordered my second rig without an awning. And the next purchaser? That was his big complaint and he had one installed first thing.
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Like many people, I bought a "standard" RV, meaning it wasn't custom built for me. Not knowing what I would want or not want, I picked a fairly generic build. I could have upgraded to a second solar panel and an induction cooktop, but didn't feel the need.

You could have bought a cargo van, put a cot in it... and saved a bundle.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I am one of the DIY crowd, so, a little outside of your question's scope. Big difference is that my finger can point at me only. We like a lot about our conversion but microwave was a mistake not only from the perspective of microwave itself but required infrastructure to be able to run it off the grid. Since 2013 we did not use it once, should have listen to our past experience of having them but never used them.

99% of the people use it for bread storage (even at home).

Old 09-23-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:

I've had a number of RV's that had too much stuff. Way too much maintenance.

So I had Sportsmobile build me a KISS van.

I wanted to be comfortable with low maintenance. Lots of travel, eating out, eating leftovers, etc.

So we have,

No propane.
No generator.
No extra under hood generator.
No outside plugs or lights.
No outside shower.
No awning.
No solar.
No sound system.

I you want to see what we do have check out
My new Promaster 3500, High Roof, Long body, Sportsmobile. - Sportsmobile Forum
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Not us, I would bet 99% of our cooking is either in the microwave or on the gas grille. Inside cooktop or gas campstove are basically never used, and we rarely eat out.

We used to think the awning was unnecessary, but some recent stays in very sunny places had us getting used to using it, and liking it.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:42 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Our microwave is the only way we can heat food. Works for us.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHitt View Post
Our microwave is the only way we can heat food. Works for us.
How do you power your microwave - batteries, generator or shore?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:01 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
How do you power your microwave - batteries, generator or shore?
AGM batteries and 2000 watt inverter, or shore if it's there. No generator