Old 08-14-2018, 06:09 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Who services your Mercedes Sprinter?

How many of you bring your Sprinter to Mercedes or an independent garage you trust? What's your experience?

What service interval? Mine is recommended once per year or every 10,000 miles for a regular oil change and every 20,000 miles in addition, I have the water filter and fuel filter and all the necessary stuff that the owner's manual requires.

Do you get your transmission serviced every 20,000 miles.. Mercedes Benz told me that was very desirable. Judging by the excessive curb weight of these vehicles, I'm willing to spend some extra money on maintaining the transmission fluid and filter changes.

Finally, approximately what do you pay for the following;

Service A- Oil change... approximately $150- $200
Service B- Oil change, fuel, and water filters plus transmission service--$825

Thank goodness the $825 service is only once EVERY 20,000 miles.

The Mercedes Benz Sprinter is a very expensive vehicle to maintain, no question.

Fortunately I have a personal mechanic I can absolutely trust, even more than the Mercedes Benz dealership.

How many of you actually do your own vehicle work? Maybe you're lucky enough to know exactly what to do, if so, congratulations.

Newer vehicles especially like my 2011 Sprinter 3500 with the 3.0 turbo diesel is a very complicated engine...

Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:41 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Service on your Mercedes Benz Sprinter....who does it????

Who services your Mercedes Sprinter?
How many of you bring your Sprinter to Mercedes or an independent garage you trust? What's your experience?

What service interval? Mine is recommended once per year or every 10,000 miles for a regular oil change and every 20,000 miles in addition, I have the water filter and fuel filter and all the necessary stuff that the owner's manual requires.

Do you get your transmission serviced every 20,000 miles.. Mercedes Benz told me that was very desirable. Judging by the excessive curb weight of these vehicles, I'm willing to spend some extra money on maintaining the transmission fluid and filter changes.

The Mercedes Benz Sprinter is a very expensive vehicle to maintain, no question.

Fortunately I have a personal mechanic I can absolutely trust, even more than the Mercedes Benz dealership.

How many of you actually do your own vehicle work? Maybe you're lucky enough to know exactly what to do, if so, congratulations.

Newer vehicles especially like my 2011 Sprinter 3500 with the 3.0 turbo diesel is a very complicated engine.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post

Newer vehicles especially like my 2011 Sprinter 3500 with the 3.0 turbo diesel is a very complicated engine.
We've only had our first service done but did that at Freightliner.

Reading here and elsewhere is they are less expensive. If my vehicle was off warranty I would be tempted to find a reputable mechanic.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #4
Platinum Member

We have the older T1N Sprinter. We do our own oil changes using the Mobil turbodiesel synthetic. Cost for oil and filter is about $75 if I can get the oil on sale.

We have a local MB Sprinter-only shop that is expensive, but that I trust (zip code 77573). The lead mechanic has worked exclusively on Sprinters for 11 years. The trick for some of it is getting them to bundle services so that they charge an hourly labor rate instead of stacking book rates for each individual service. Sometimes that has to be negotiated.

I actually used www.millionmilesprinter.com to do an unexpected repair for me as I was en route from Houston to Nova Scotia the week before last. I had to make a detour in to Philadelphia but that was no big deal. He's great. He's active on Sprinter Forum but I found him on Instagram. He makes one-minute instructional videos on IG, and he works on T1Ns only.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:

I have ours done at our local dealer, but only because their prices are very reasonable. They charge $300 for the A-servcie (15K miles for MY2014) and a little over $400 for the B-service (30K). Sprinters are easy to self-service (I did my own on our old T1N), and dealer service has absolutely nothing to do with warranty validity. However, in our case they are convenient, they take care of the record-keeping and any recall work, the price is right, and the biscotti is yummy. And, it must be admitted that establishing "good will" with Mercedes sometimes has value in unusual situations. Some dealers apparently charge three times what ours does. At anything like that kind of money, I would have my local garage do it. It isn't rocket science. The engines may be complicated, but the service regimens are not.

Not sure what you mean the "Mercedes-Benz" recommends 20K transmission service. Your model year specifies every other "B" service, which in your case would be 40K miles. Mine is the same, except that for MY2014 it would be 60K. Recent model years say the first B-servcie and then at (I think) 80K miles and that is it. Maybe by "Mercedes-Benz" you meant your service advisor. If so, you should be aware that they are typically a truly awful source of information. It is kind of like going into a health-food store and asking the clerk whether Ginkgo Biloba is good for you. In what possible universe would the answer ever be anything other than "of course"? Service advisors have a financial conflict of interest, little training, no real access to the relevant statistics, and generally are prone to just make stuff up. Fluids that are not subjected to combustion products last a LONG time. Exceeding OEM recommendations is almost certainly a waste of money.

As for cost, I disagree that current production Sprinters are particularly expensive to maintain, assuming you only do what is actually required and avoid overpriced dealers. Service intervals are 20K these days, and the needed service is quotidian. Out of warranty repairs are a different matter, though. THEY can be ruinously expensive.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Default How much are you paying for Mobile 1???

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
We have the older T1N Sprinter. We do our own oil changes using the Mobil turbodiesel synthetic. Cost for oil and filter is about $75 if I can get the oil on sale.

We have a local MB Sprinter-only shop that is expensive, but that I trust (zip code 77573). The lead mechanic has worked exclusively on Sprinters for 11 years. The trick for some of it is getting them to bundle services so that they charge an hourly labor rate instead of stacking book rates for each individual service. Sometimes that has to be negotiated.

I actually used www.millionmilesprinter.com to do an unexpected repair for me as I was en route from Houston to Nova Scotia the week before last. I had to make a detour in to Philadelphia but that was no big deal. He's great. He's active on Sprinter Forum but I found him on Instagram. He makes one-minute instructional videos on IG, and he works on T1Ns only.
There's 13.2 quarts of oil in this engine......I paid $7 per quart.... that's a pretty good deal...but, that's still $92.40 just for the oil plus another $15 for the filter..,..My shop only charged me $50 for labor on the basic oil change,. I don't think that's unreasonable at all...do you????

Do you actually change your own fuel water separator element ?? That's a lot more maintenance and work...,The water separator element alone costs $75..…plus labor to install of $100....

My mechanic charges me $100 per hour flat rate for the work he actually does....not bad compared to the Mercedes Benz dealership...they charge $205 per hour.... RIDICULOUS...
Old 08-14-2018, 02:46 PM   #7
Site Team

Redundant threads merged. Please avoid double-posting.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Default Congratulations on the "longer" service intervals.. I think??

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I have ours done at our local dealer, but only because their prices are very reasonable. They charge $300 for the A-servcie (15K miles for MY2014) and a little over $400 for the B-service (30K). Sprinters are easy to self-service (I did my own on our old T1N), and dealer service has absolutely nothing to do with warranty validity. However, in our case they are convenient, they take care of the record-keeping and any recall work, the price is right, and the biscotti is yummy. And, it must be admitted that establishing "good will" with Mercedes sometimes has value in unusual situations. Some dealers apparently charge three times what ours does. At anything like that kind of money, I would have my local garage do it. It isn't rocket science. The engines may be complicated, but the service regimens are not.

Not sure what you mean the "Mercedes-Benz" recommends 20K transmission service. Your model year specifies every other "B" service, which in your case would be 40K miles. Mine is the same, except that for MY2014 it would be 60K. Recent model years say the first B-servcie and then at (I think) 80K miles and that is it. Maybe by "Mercedes-Benz" you meant your service advisor. If so, you should be aware that they are typically a truly awful source of information. It is kind of like going into a health-food store and asking the clerk whether Ginkgo Biloba is good for you. In what possible universe would the answer ever be anything other than "of course"? Service advisors have a financial conflict of interest, little training, no real access to the relevant statistics, and generally are prone to just make stuff up. Fluids that are not subjected to combustion products last a LONG time. Exceeding OEM recommendations is almost certainly a waste of money.

As for cost, I disagree that current production Sprinters are particularly expensive to maintain, assuming you only do what is actually required and avoid overpriced dealers. Service intervals are 20K these days, and the needed service is quotidian. Out of warranty repairs are a different matter, though. THEY can be ruinously expensive.
My personal mechanic, whom I have trusted and used for more than 20 years told me that even though Mercedes has "extended" the service interval up to 15,000 now 20,000 miles...on oil changes...he said in his professional opinion, that the actual limit for oil to break down is 10,000 or one year....are you driving 15,000 miles per year...OR...do you disagree that the oil should be changed at least once per year???

My 2011 Sprinter requires the oil to be changed once per year...

As far as the transmission is concerned....I had the transmission service at Mercedes Benz dealership the first time around 18,000 miles ago......they said.. that they did the "full service"...my mechanic thinks that they only changed the fluids and not the filter!!! I'm going to ask them about this....my mechanic said that the fluid was pretty dirty.....

Mercedes Benz said to have the transmission fluid changed EVERY 20,000 miles not 40,000 miles..... Glad I did it....

I don't know where you live...my mechanic charges $100 per hour for labor.. which I think is reasonable....MB charges $205 per hour....

Your $300 price for service A...at the dealership labor price would not allow for anything here where we live...you know what I mean??

Out of warranty repairs are a different matter, though. THEY can be ruinously expensive.[/QUOTE]

My 2012 RS Adventurous ( with the 2011 Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500) is out of warranty.... What do you mean by ruinous? Everything is extremely expensive ...it's a Mercedes.

Good luck with your vehicle..
Old 08-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Yes... sorry.... I originally posted this on the Class B plus page....

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Redundant threads merged. Please avoid double-posting.
Wanted this in the regular Class B discussion....
Old 08-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
My personal mechanic, whom I have trusted and used for more than 20 years told me that even though Mercedes has "extended" the service interval up to 15,000 now 20,000 miles...on oil changes...he said in his professional opinion, that the actual limit for oil to break down is 10,000 or one year....are you driving 15,000 miles per year...OR...do you disagree that the oil should be changed at least once per year???

My 2011 Sprinter requires the oil to be changed once per year...
I strongly believe in doing exactly what the OEM recommends. They are the ONLY ones who have the data necessary to do objectively valid analyses. I am fully aware that the Internet is full of conspiracy theorists who believe that MB wants your vehicle to fail the day the warranty expires. I am not one of them.

This is a question for a chemical engineer not a mechanic. Most people have not the slightest idea how much science goes into the OCI recommendations. Take 20 minutes and watch this:

As for time-based OCI, I really don't know. Mercedes is all over the place on that. My model year (2014) has no such requirement, but other years do, and there is no obvious pattern. I just wait till the van's ASSYST system says I need service. It monitors all kinds of stuff. Usually, it is 15K mines, but I have had longer and shorter.

Quote:
As far as the transmission is concerned....I had the transmission service at Mercedes Benz dealership the first time around 18,000 miles ago......they said.. that they did the "full service"...my mechanic thinks that they only changed the fluids and not the filter!!! I'm going to ask them about this....my mechanic said that the fluid was pretty dirty.....

Mercedes Benz said to have the transmission fluid changed EVERY 20,000 miles not 40,000 miles..... Glad I did it....
Don't think so.

From the MY2011 Maintenance Manual:

2011 trans fluid.jpg

If my transmission oil were "dirty" at that milage, I would want to know why.

Quote:
I don't know where you live...my mechanic charges $100 per hour for labor.. which I think is reasonable....MB charges $205 per hour....

Your $300 price for service A...at the dealership labor price would not allow for anything here where we live...you know what I mean??

Out of warranty repairs are a different matter, though. THEY can be ruinously expensive.

My 2012 RS Adventurous ( with the 2011 Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500) is out of warranty.... What do you mean by ruinous?
I mean that there are failures (mostly emissions-related) that can cost an absurd amount of money, as has been extensively discussed on this forum.