Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2019, 05:32 PM   #1

Default Winnebago Era no longer in production

I have been looking forward to making a class B purchase but the industry seems to be working against me. The Paseo was discontinued, Roadtrek has major issues and now I have been told the Winnebago Era is no longer in production. (It is not clear if a redesign is in process or if it is simply being discontinued.) My short list is now down to the Ford Ecoboost CrossFit. Being new to RVs, how much concern should a buyer have on sustainability of brands? It appears the industry is small with around 5,000 units being produced per year. Is the class B concept economically unsustainable for manufacturers seeking scale and dealer networks for support?
4Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I highly doubt that is true. Most likely they are retooling for the new model of vans. Even that may be doubtful as the body and interior are not changed - only the drivetrains and the front and rear clips.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:42 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Season View Post
now I have been told the Winnebago Era is no longer in production. (It is not clear if a redesign is in process or if it is simply being discontinued.)
With the next generation Sprinter production volume ramping up in SC and the larger Amazon order being fulfilled, I hope this announcement is due to the changeover.

LTV was mentioned as working on their next gen B+ vans on the new Sprinter Chassis at the moment.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #4
Platinum Member

if i was buying today i would buy a Travato KL
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #5
Platinum Member

If you visit the Sportsmobile website, there was a comment on their homepage which may explain the Era situation. It said that they have factory time available (it is normally a one year wait) for work as there is currently a delay in the delivery of the new 2019 Sprinters.

LTV is already having 9+ months to wait for a new one, so the slow roll out of the new Sprinters may not be a major problem for them yet... and they are using cab/chassis models, not the full van. So they wouldn't be competing for rigs with the big fleet buys.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:52 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
If you visit the Sportsmobile website, there was a comment on their homepage which may explain the Era situation. It said that they have factory time available (it is normally a one year wait) for work as there is currently a delay in the delivery of the new 2019 Sprinters.

LTV is already having 9+ months to wait for a new one, so the slow roll out of the new Sprinters may not be a major problem for them yet... and they are using cab/chassis models, not the full van. So they wouldn't be competing for rigs with the big fleet buys.
As near as I can tell, Wendland is going to switch from the Wonder he has to an LTV Unity on the 2019 Sprinter on a new floor plan in a month or so.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:16 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
As near as I can tell, Wendland is going to switch from the Wonder he has to an LTV Unity on the 2019 Sprinter on a new floor plan in a month or so.
So I wonder if they bumped somebody's order so Mike could get his.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:33 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
So I wonder if they bumped somebody's order so Mike could get his.
It doesn’t seem so, it is the first Unity build on a new floor plan that hasn’t been released yet but it did use up a production slot. They must have already been building it to reveal the new floor plan. Who knows, he may decide he wants something different in the end.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:11 PM   #9
Platinum Member

LTV is already building the Unity on new 2019 cab chassis. It was featured in the Wendland's recent "Most Epic RV Factory Tour Ever!" video. In the video Dean Corrigal said their new Sprinter cab chassis were from Germany. Image of new 2109 Sprinter from video attached FYI.

https://youtu.be/vwcsmFfotD4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (83.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 02-19-2019, 11:19 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
If you visit the Sportsmobile website, there was a comment on their homepage which may explain the Era situation. It said that they have factory time available (it is normally a one year wait) for work as there is currently a delay in the delivery of the new 2019 Sprinters....
There is no delay on Sprinters as long as you buy off the lot. New Sprinters are out there. Mercedes and Freightliner dealers around me in Washington DC/Baltimore area have 4-5 new Sprinters on each of their lots. The problem is they are all spec'd by Daimler Vans marketing and only in black or white colors. They are not yet filling custom orders - that is the real delay.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:41 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
There is no delay on Sprinters as long as you buy off the lot. New Sprinters are out there. Mercedes and Freightliner dealers around me in Washington DC/Baltimore area have 4-5 new Sprinters on each of their lots. The problem is they are all spec'd by Daimler Vans marketing and only in black or white colors. They are not yet filling custom orders - that is the real delay.
This is accurate for the most part. You can also find grey and silver. All of these were imported from Germany because South Carolina can’t seem to build a van that passes QC.

There are VS30’s shipping to the largest fleets. Airstream got the majority of the 4x4’s for 2019. Sorry for the customers who thought they would pick up a 2019 4x4 off the lot because it ain’t happening. Us van builders are not happy.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:10 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
LTV is already building the Unity on new 2019 cab chassis. It was featured in the Wendland's recent "Most Epic RV Factory Tour Ever!" video. In the video Dean Corrigal said their new Sprinter cab chassis were from Germany. Image of new 2109 Sprinter from video attached FYI.

https://youtu.be/vwcsmFfotD4
The new front end looks like a step backwards to me. The black plastic looks about as homely as the Promaster. Although, I know all models look better when painted to match body color.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Not surprising if they continue bringing cutaways in from Europe as they ramp up production over here.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:18 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
The new front end looks like a step backwards to me. The black plastic looks about as homely as the Promaster. Although, I know all models look better when painted to match body color.
The size of the Sprinter front bumper plastic cover has been growing over the years. Attaching images of the 2012 and 2018 front look. My 2012 has sheet metal in the strip under headlights. The new model has trendy slimline headlights so the black plastic in front got even larger. They do look better with matching body painted front bumpers as seen in the last attached image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012Sprinter.JPG (64.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 2018Sprinter.JPG (48.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 2019Sprinter.JPG (48.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-21-2019, 02:36 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
The size of the Sprinter front bumper plastic cover has been growing over the years. Attaching images of the 2012 and 2018 front look. My 2012 has sheet metal in the strip under headlights. The new model has trendy slimline headlights so the black plastic in front got even larger. They do look better with matching body painted front bumpers as seen in the last attached image.
Thanks, the pictures are a great comparison. I agree the new model looks much better with the painted plastic, but perhaps a little Transit-like? For that reason, I still like the looks of the previous generation. Just my opinion.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
I like the look painted. Agree with the not liking the black. I cringe when I see some of the older Advanced RV's with the black side moldings. Such a great van with black plastic trim is a shame.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #17
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
I like the look painted. Agree with the not liking the black. I cringe when I see some of the older Advanced RV's with the black side moldings. Such a great van with black plastic trim is a shame.
I understand your concern or opinion on the trim, but my experience is that these are the areas that get rubbed, scrapped, and popped by random car doors in parking lots. So I've come to prefer the black plastic/rubber. Looks more utilitarian and stealthy. Like a utility van should.
JakeyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:36 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Winnebago website says Era is "no longer in production. "

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/me...icture1062.jpg

TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:22 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeyLee View Post
I understand your concern or opinion on the trim, but my experience is that these are the areas that get rubbed, scrapped, and popped by random car doors in parking lots. So I've come to prefer the black plastic/rubber. Looks more utilitarian and stealthy. Like a utility van should.
My experience is that the plastic trim fades and looks bad over the years. Paint it to match the body or LineX it.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:29 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerMark View Post
Winnebago website says Era is "no longer in production. "
Wow! Now that Roadtrek is gone, I wonder why they'd leave the Mercedes market. Unless they made the decision before the excrement hit the fan at RT. Wonder if they will reconsider?

EDIT: After I posted above, I went here and they still show the ERA among their product offerings.

https://winnebagoind.com/products/cl...9/era/overview