Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2018, 01:13 AM   #721
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Nice builds! Wish they were on the east coast...they only stock 4x4 vans.
Oliver2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:22 AM   #722
Platinum Member

If you are on the east coast then maybe these people can accommodate you.

Blue Ridge Adventure Vehicles |
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:29 AM   #723
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
the biggest price of the travato-after the promaster-is labor.
You are right...good point. My question is answered.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #724
Platinum Member

9 Apr -
When buying an RV, most of the manufacturers have a base product that cannot be changed. There will be a very limited option list. You cannot order these RV's directly from the manufacturer. All (at least that I know of) are sold by dealers. Dealers realize which of the complete models and available options sell the best and will typically stock those that sell the best. The dealers can also order a model or model with particular options they do not have on their lot with some level of prepayment. Sometimes a special order like this cannot be obtained for many weeks if the production line is not currently putting that model together. Or the lineup is changing for a new model year or perhaps they do not have the chassis itself in inventory to do the conversion, etc. The entire process of bringing together specific chassis's and especially all of the hundreds of individual interior components for the coach build is for most RV builders, a just in time orchestrated process with very defined assembly sequence on planned production dates with dealers assigned to specific units ideally before the build-outs are even completed.

You can tell what you can get from WINNEBAGO, ERWIN HYMER, THOR, etc by looking at their brochures at the dealers or simply downloading them from those companies. Unless the brochure has call outs to let you uncheck a feature, you can only check/add the options they list, if any.

It would be a big deal to alter the sequence of production to do custom builds for most all of these builders. But there are a few that will do whatever you want. Sportvan is one such builder. Be prepared for weeks and sometimes months of backlog. And depending on what you want and the quality level you might seek to pay as much or more than a production unit.

The idea of building your own has been considered by many and certainly has been done by a few (few, relative to production units sold). If you were to attempt to build one with every feature of a Travato, you are looking in the neighborhood of at least $60,000. Depending on your skill set, the end product likely will not be as nice as a Travato but of course you can as the saying goes, "have it your way". My wife and I considered that path even after penciling out the cost to as it happens, replicate a Travato 59K as close as possible. We also looked at other candidates but ultimately we purchased a Travato 59K. By the way, the 59K we bought had only one flaw when we picked it up. A mating pair of connectors hidden in a wall above the bathroom ceiling either had not been plugged together at the factory or more likely separated during the 1,500 mile delivery from WB factory to the dealer. This rendered the solar charging system inoperative since the panel on the roof was not connected. With connectors mated and wire tied together, zero other issues inside or out for the RAM Promaster 3500 EXT chassis or the WB Travato build out coach, aside from one very tiny rock chip on the optional painted nose. In actual use, we found only two rattles which is amazing. (1) The pull up, flip down table up front in the 59K coach rattles slightly; fixed with addition of some small felt pads. (2) The pull-out TV mount which works great, lets the TV rattle in its locked travel position. I almost do not hear it and have not dealt with it yet but I will add some adjustable equipment feet that will take care of that.

If you like the general layout and most of the things included in a Travato, you might consider checking out a CARADO Bannf which is produced by ERWIN HYMER of NORTH AMERICA (EHGNA). I did not see if you were referring to a rear bath Travato 59K or a side-rear bath 59G. The twin bed, rear bath Bannf layout is similar to the 59K. Execution is a whole different matter. Quality of almost everything inside the coach is not at the WB Travato level. And if I recall, the chassis itself does not have a few mior things that normally come standard on the truck chassis. For example, the in-dash entertainment system was downgraded so there is no bluetooth for smartphone hands free use. And it does not have steering wheel controls for the phone operation either. You could get somebody like CRUTCHFIELD to replace that dash unit but you still will not have a RAM steering column & wheel to have at-hand controls. Perhaps not a big deal for some but don't have a phone in your hand in some states like Washington or you will get ticketed.

The CARADO Axion or Bannf models will come at a lower price so that can open the door to self-customizing after purchase. Upgrade the beds for example. You can really appreciate how WINNEBAGO did their bed system after you sleep on most anything else provided by coach builders. Do not want the refrigerator? Pull it, sell it and build in what you want. My wife and I considered going that way too but in the end, the turn key Travato was purchased. As for the EHGNA use of a 2nd engine alternator, power generating system, the concept is excellent. Execution needs some major refinement but it does mostly work. WB will have conceptually a similar system on the L versions of the Travato and other models except they had an outside engineering firm develop their system. The price of the WB L option will be breathtaking but it is in my opinion, done the right way. It starts out with a very different, smaller and higher voltage 2nd alternator. There are very definite advantages just because of this alternator choice over a 12 volt unit used by RoadTrek/EHGNA RV's. But it will require deeper pockets over a conventional generator. Depending on what you want and need, the EHGNA RoadTrek's, Activ, Axion and Bannf models might work for you. Possibly even the Sunshine V2. I'd stay away from a Sunshine V1 unless you want what amounts to a proof of concept, pre-production prototype that was sorted out much better in the V2 version. But if you can get a V1 cheap enough, it might pencil out for reworking it into what you want.

My wife and I took 2+ years to buy our Class B Travato 59K. We decided on this model early in our process. We looked at just about everything else that was more expensive and not. We looked at MERCEDES Sprinter based units and we looked at FORD Transit based units. Transit chassis was just too awkward to get from the front to the coach and back. Believe it or not, that was the only thing that killed that off from our list; it was that big of a deal for us. We like the Sprinters for a few reasons but are totally turned of by (1) the much higher cost of maintenance and repairs, (2) the higher center of gravity that even on dually rear tires, wobbles like it is in a high wind even when standing still on a no-wind day and (3) are just downright expensive. Yes it has a very nice diesel and the drivers area is definetly higher end. And they can tow 5,000 pounds even after conversion weight of the Class B coach is in it. We never tow anything so our life is simpler. We have a purchase, maintenance and insurance with resale in mind budget and the Sprinter flat out did not fit our model at all. Otherwise we like it, except for the high centered design that sways too much for our liking.

Are we completely in love with the RAM Promaster, gas engined, front wheel drive, unibody type chassis? With no towing unless 2,000 pounds is enough after coach conversion? Yes. Well it's almost love. We can say we like it VERY much. As a FIAT DUCATO built here in Mexico with a RAM engine and transaxle, it drives like an upper end SUV. It is relatively quiet even going on steeper uphill grades. Pulls nicely up those steeper hills although it takes a little bit of work. The mpg with realistic around town stop and go driving will drop to about 13-ish with the lowest average being 12.8 so far. Hey come on now - your pulling away from a stop with about 9,000 pounds. On the road it can hit a peak average of over 18 mpg but with mostly pleasureable gentle incline/decline driving the darn thing easily calculates out to 17 mpg all day long. OUTSTANDING for a somewhat aerodynamic, 9,000 lb brick. And you can drive this 22 footer into town and steer it into a parking spot at HOME DEPOT as long as you park way out because get real, you can only do so much to manuever even this RV into some spots. But try any of those up front parking spots in a 24 foot or longer and possibly wider RV. What is really amazing is how stable the front wheel drive with a single pair of rear tires on the rear is versus the duallys on the Sprinters and Transits. Gusty winds, driving out from under an overpass bridge and big rigs disturb our lower ground clearance/lower CG of gravity Promaster based Travato the least. It may not tow as much. It may not be the optimal off (rough) road camper. It may not have the ultimate life of a diesel rig (*). Pick at it here or there but for us, overall it is the cats meow and we do not think we will wear it out before our plugs are pulled or we are just to old to drive it.

(*) RAM ProMaster in North America started out with diesel and gas powertrains. Most everybody liked the automatic transmissioned gas engine power train. Few liked the semi-manual transmissioned diesel powertrain. I found it very strange to drive with the transmission they used with that diesel engine. It is no longer available.

Finally from a resale value perspective, the WINNEBAGO Travato 59K model seems to hold its value the best over all, and mean all other WB and other brands & models on the market. The 59G is ok too but the 59K seems to be one of, if not the hottest selling manufactured Class B on the market today. That is my opinion; I do not have facts to back that up but this is what I see.

We chose a 2018 before they become unavailable since the 2019's have been arriving. There are a few nice changes and improvements in the otherwise similar 2019 coach build. The available option of having dual paned acrylic windows on a '19 is very nice from a thermal perspective. The new, integrated window blinds are nicer. We did not like that with glass or acrylic windows, the 19's have three smaller side windows versus the two larger pair of windows on each side of the 2016 through 2018 59K's. The possibility of being able to get the outstanding design of the Lithium based 59KL models generating system in a later model release was attractive but will be too costly for needs. We use a generator very little anyway so the somewhat noisy "genny" setup is ok with us.

Good luck on your Class B decision. Take your time. We did.

Gene
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #725
Platinum Member

Gene,
Wow...thank you! Excellent review and advice!
Old 04-10-2018, 02:28 AM   #726
Platinum Member

I second that, very informative and helpful review, thank you for the information and your perspective.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:40 AM   #727

Agreed. Thank you.
This adds to the information gathering.
tonyp063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #728
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Having just talked to the largest single spot volume WGO dealer in North America, you can no longer delete standard items when you order a Travato. The only variance can be what's listed as options.
Someone mentioned above about popularity. Travatos are coming off the line at the rate of 5 or 6 per day currently.
What floored me while talking to him was the fact that he said they have orders with deposits on hand for 96 Revels. 11 month delivery time. WGO management is just amazed at the response to them.....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #729
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Oh, and confirming what was said above. The diesel powertrain is no longer being manufactured for the Promaster. So gas only now

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:43 PM   #730
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
Having just talked to the largest single spot volume WGO dealer in North America, you can no longer delete standard items when you order a Travato. The only variance can be what's listed as options.
Someone mentioned above about popularity. Travatos are coming off the line at the rate of 5 or 6 per day currently.
What floored me while talking to him was the fact that he said they have orders with deposits on hand for 96 Revels. 11 month delivery time. WGO management is just amazed at the response to them.....
not to be objectionable- at 6 a day is 30 a 5 day week. 52 x 30 is 1560

1560 is about the same as 2017 -the amount of 35 percent

not actually much different

ps actually that sounds less than the amount on the sales thread you should check maybe i'm wrong
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:47 PM   #731
Platinum Member

Default Should NOT Be Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
Anybody who is in marketing and knows anything about cohorts (generations and their attitudes, behaviors, needs/wants/desires) is not the least bit amazed at the demand for the Revel. What's amazing is that ONLY Winnebago has stepped up to address this target audience. Amazing and frustrating for those of us desiring a van for adventure.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #732
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck13 View Post
Anybody who is in marketing and knows anything about cohorts (generations and their attitudes, behaviors, needs/wants/desires) is not the least bit amazed at the demand for the Revel. What's amazing is that ONLY Winnebago has stepped up to address this target audience. Amazing and frustrating for those of us desiring a van for adventure.
Winnebago had the Revel on display at Overland Expo East last October and got a very good response from the overland community. Surprising that Erwin Hymer did not identify this market and use one of their European Sprinter models to target it. Going to be hard to compete with the Revel now.

I wonder if Winnebago is getting priority for 4wd Sprinters which seem to be in short supply?
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #733
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:

Over the past few years a few people have told RT to make something like the Revel. But RT was (is) doing well with the Agile; they are flying out the door as fast as RT could build them. They were not about to interfere with a "winning" formula. They had no reasons to.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #734
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
Over the past few years a few people have told RT to make something like the Revel. But RT was (is) doing well with the Agile; they are flying out the door as fast as RT could build them. They were not about to interfere with a "winning" formula. They had no reasons to.

Given the life expectancy of the current Roadtrek buyer base they might want to add some more focus to the next generation of buyers...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:06 PM   #735
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Given the life expectancy of the current Roadtrek buyer base they might want to add some more focus to the next generation of buyers...

why? everyday the overall population is getting over 60. the roadtrek demographic is getting larger.

it's got nothing to do with life expextency and more to do with the number that turn 60. 60-75 is probably the key demographic.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:31 PM   #736
Platinum Member

Default Tunnel Vision Leads To Blindness

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
I’ve posted quite a bit about this. When your current target is 65+ and they have disposable bucks is easy to get lulled into complacency. We end up with vans that have interiors from the 1970s, mixed quality , little innovation and superficial luxury best for RV Parks. I’m not that far removed from this target but we want a light, open design and durable build that maximizes off grid functionality. Something that can navigate forests service roads and get to trailheads. A cross between a Revel and Agile if you will.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:49 AM   #737
Platinum Member

Quote:
What's amazing is that ONLY Winnebago has stepped up to address this target audience.
Winnebago is stepping it up...but...my beef is they only supply lap belts for the bench seat behind the driver in the 2019 Travato...the target audience deserves to be able to properly secure their grandchildren and loved ones.

Wish they take an extra step towards passenger safety instead of pushing me to wait for a used Aktiv to come on the market...
Old 04-12-2018, 12:57 AM   #738
BBQ
Platinum Member

I looked at those seatbelts in horror; I think it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:12 AM   #739

Quote:

I looked at those seatbelts in horror; I think it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Why? If you have a severe crash in a Travato, or any RV for that matter, do you really think that 3 point belts will make that much of a difference? Once the crash forces start shearing the cabinetry off the walls, having lap belts only will be the least of your worries. BTW, I am genuinely curious why this bothers people so much.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:18 AM   #740
Platinum Member

Quote:

Since RV rear passenger restraints are not held to the same safety standards for passenger vehicles, the RV owner is really taking a big risk transporting rear passengers.

Looking at the Winnebago Revel bench seat with only lap belts and no headrest is a real wake up call that rear passenger safety is a joke.