Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2023, 12:45 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Working with Pex pipe and fittings

I'm replacing the kitchen faucet and have found the water connection fittings are excessively worn and should also be replaced. It's all done with Pex pipe and fittings. I don't have any specialty tools to deal with removing and reinstalling these fittings. Is there an efficient way to remove the clamping bands with ordinary hand tools? I'll be under the sink in a small cabinet so working space is tight. I don't want to damage any surrounding items with caveman practices if I can help it. Assuming I get the old camping bands off, can I reinstall the fittings with standard hose clamps or will it leak? Thanks!
RV-there-yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 12:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-there-yet View Post
I'm replacing the kitchen faucet and have found the water connection fittings are excessively worn and should also be replaced. It's all done with Pex pipe and fittings. I don't have any specialty tools to deal with removing and reinstalling these fittings. Is there an efficient way to remove the clamping bands with ordinary hand tools? I'll be under the sink in a small cabinet so working space is tight. I don't want to damage any surrounding items with caveman practices if I can help it. Assuming I get the old camping bands off, can I reinstall the fittings with standard hose clamps or will it leak? Thanks!
You might want to consider Flair It products. They make lots of 1/2 inch fittings which work with pex piping without the crimping tools and bands. You will require a pex cutter, fittings and maybe a tightening tool(I use pliers). I have used both Flair it and regular pex connectors depending upon the space. Take a look at shark bite fittings as another alternative. A bit more expensive but ease of application
Old 07-02-2023, 05:52 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I've used SharkBite connectors with great success (no leaking). First with the toilet feed where the original (1997) fitting was leaking. I cut the feed pex shorter and then put a SB fitting on it. Then used a standard household wall to toilet braided hose to the toilet.

Later replaced both the bath and sink faucets with single handle faucets. Used same process with SB fittings.

They're easy to put on. Cut pex pipe where you want it. Use plastic SB tool to clean cut and mark on pex pipe a line. Insert SB connector and push to line. Done.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 12:07 AM   #4
Platinum Member

A proper crimper and the tool for cutting off old Pex rings aren't that expensive. Using the right tools makes any job easier and more reliable.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 01:22 AM   #5
Platinum Member

When I've needed to I removed Pex bands by using a Dremel to cut through the nub (the crimped part) and then pulling the band off with a pair of needle nose pliers. I went ahead & bought the crimping tool to put new Pex bands on; I would assume hose clamps would work but I've never tried using them with Pex connectors.

I've used Sharkbite connectors at home but I don't know if I'd trust them in the RV where they're getting bounced around so much. But there are some Pex connections in the RV where I simply could not fit the crimp tool, so if one of those needed replacing I might try Sharkbite.
Old 07-03-2023, 01:52 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I have the pex tools and have used them a bit. No way could they be used under the sink in my Roadtrek, definitely a Shark bite area. I was able to use them for the toilet but the toilet was removed at the time. I second using the dremel to cut off rings, need a steady hand and some finesse to not take out the pipe!.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 03:58 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I believe the Sharkbite on the toilet is over 4yrs old with no issues of leakage (or anything else). Sinks are newer, about 1-2 years. We're definitely state/national campground campers and have traversed some very bumpy washboard roads. The original PEX on both the toilet and one sink feed started to leak from the fitting connecting to the valve. I like the idea of putting a male SB on the PEX and being able to use the same type of SS braided hose found on faucets and toilets in my home.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote