Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2018, 03:02 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Poly-Iso Roof

Anyone ever put Poly-Iso panel (or other panel for that matter)on top of the roof and then seal with Everbond to create a reflective insulated roof? - Why? Increased insulation (decreased summer temperature, reflective for summer, minimal cost, replaceable/reversible. I am working with an OEM RV so taking inside apart is not an option I wish to explore. No solar panels on top to deflect summer heat. My only concern might be trapped moisture between the panel and painted roof. Probably get 10-20 years before rust was an issue.

thoughts?
aturner1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:17 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturner1973 View Post
Anyone ever put Poly-Iso panel (or other panel for that matter)on top of the roof and then seal with Everbond to create a reflective insulated roof? - Why? Increased insulation (decreased summer temperature, reflective for summer, minimal cost, replaceable/reversible. I am working with an OEM RV so taking inside apart is not an option I wish to explore. No solar panels on top to deflect summer heat. My only concern might be trapped moisture between the panel and painted roof. Probably get 10-20 years before rust was an issue.

thoughts?

Could be plausible, nothing strictly wrong with it in theory. Though RVs usually have lots of junk up there so you may be cutting a lot of panels. I would put plastic over the polyiso to protect it. It’s pretty strong but not sure how abrasion resistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:39 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Loading the roof with solar cells or made a double tropic roof could be easier. Tropical Roofs (Double Roof) - Expedition Portal
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:42 AM   #4
Platinum Member

You might do better with something like this if you want to just insulate and reflect some heat.

https://www.laminatorsinc.com/sign-p...ucts/alumalite
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:40 PM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member

Add a pop up roof

Old 03-18-2018, 03:41 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I used a coating product called Bus Kote which helped tremendously (blog post here, complete with some before-and-after temperature readings). I researched this issue before choosing a course of action, and I know from that research that any coating probably would never help as much as a compound or layered roof would, but I didn't want to go compound as a first measure when (a) I've got so much other stuff already on my roof and (b) I want to be able to carry an inflatable kayak up there (here), so I don't want to lose any vertical space.

Just this morning I posted this performance update on another forum. I will probably touch it up, but it is in good shape after a year of service.

Here's a pic taken shortly after it was added:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:19 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Thanks for that post and write-up, InterBlog. We have a dark van. There's insulation in the roof, but probably not enough. I'll be reading the temps next time I see sunshine and considering how confident I am that I can get up there to paint...
Old 03-18-2018, 09:46 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Bus-kote looks compelling. Other elastomeric coatings out there. Looks like they also offer the ceramic beads (the secret sauce) to add to your own paint. I need to decide on the final "look". I am looking for something I can wash/clean the top and roll on with minimal effort (no sanding / priming). Will research further. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:15 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturner1973 View Post
Bus-kote looks compelling. Other elastomeric coatings out there. Looks like they also offer the ceramic beads (the secret sauce) to add to your own paint. I need to decide on the final "look". I am looking for something I can wash/clean the top and roll on with minimal effort (no sanding / priming). Will research further. Thanks.
If you find anything fitting that description, please post back. I was not successful in finding anything that convinced me would apply well without much preparation. All painting is much the same - the effort process amounts to 75% surface preparation, 25% application.

Yes, there are ceramic beads in Bus Kote, but I think that portion of the product, and similarly-marketed products, has been proven to be a form of snake oil. The heat-lowering capacity derives from its albedo, not from any "secret sauce". I knew that when I bought it, but snake oil aside, it was clearly formulated for automotive roof applications and that's why I chose it.

I did a light overcoat yesterday using a four-inch paint brush, and my slightly-dulled roof is back to its former blindingly-white glory. But as I noted in the blog post, at the manufacturer's recommendation, I opted to leave off their clear top coat so that I could do this kind of touch-up work routinely. It's not hard. This weekend was wax time, and brushing up the roof is really not more difficult than applying and buffing wax.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:28 AM   #10
Bronze Member

Albedo? Had to look that one up. If I got it right or maybe even close, I am thinking white Plasti-Dip would be a good compromise. Minimal application prep (wash and tape), low cost, removable, and still reflective due to color.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:45 AM   #11

yes , the Poly-Iso panel is good material
luxeshower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:32 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Don’t assume Eternabond to be removable. It’s darn close to permant.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote