Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2023, 03:03 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default free rv apalachicola florida camping

free rv apalachicola florida camping suggestions.

I'm planning to cruise by Mexico bch Florida to look for real estate. it's been recommended to check out apalachicola.

any suggestions on free RV spots? thanks
Old 10-13-2023, 10:01 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I'll share our secret... Check out the Florida Water Management Districts: https://floridadep.gov/owper/water-p...ment-districts

They have some (not exactly in Apalachicola) but "commutable." Many are call or go-online for free reservation. Reservations required due to low number of sites. Also, check marinas nearby. They may permit over-nite stay if you are not "setting up camp," and are low key.

BTW downtown Apalachicola has a spot, but is $30 over-nite in the Battery Park. Pay by Kiosk - CC.

Enjoy your trip.

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 04:46 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
I'll share our secret... Check out the Florida Water Management Districts: https://floridadep.gov/owper/water-p...ment-districts

Cheers - Jim
Any pointers on how to find a map of camping locations. The site is a bit clunky to navigate and find what would work for a van camper. We go to FL Jan - Mar and would like to find out of the way (and quiet) places to camp.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 05:04 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post

They have some (not exactly in Apalachicola) but "commutable." Many are call or go-online for free reservation. Reservations required due to low number of sites. Also, check marinas nearby. They may permit over-nite stay if you are not "setting up camp," and are low key.

BTW downtown Apalachicola has a spot, but is $30 over-nite in the Battery Park. Pay by Kiosk - CC.

Enjoy your trip.

Cheers - Jim
hello Jim I'm right down the street in Destin.
my main objective on this trip is to check out prospective new homes.
I've been browsing homes on net for about a year. attached is my desired areas.
an now it's been suggested when I cruise though Mexico bch for a possiable fixer upper from huricane damage to continue on to Apalachicola.

last night I did a brief search and found this attached.
the marinas sound good bc I want live near the bayfront. prefer to talk to locals directly rather than a realtor.
plan to use realtor to show a few properties but not today it's kindof riskie to leave the house today being fri-13. I may walk around the neighborhood.

Jim here's a prospect for me the yellow house w/ the vette out front.
305 Morgan Ln,Mary Esther, FL 32569 cicle driveway would be prefect for my 24' ocean cruiser.
is this a ghetto area I google earthed it appears rundown next door to the east guy has a hummer h2 so he/she must be OK.I could camp in front an see who comes out of the ajoining homes.

I've spent a few summers on the Mary esther sound on south side of 98 so I'm kindof familiar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg desired locations3.jpg (151.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg navare prospect 180. fixer upper.jpg (265.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg florida RV spots.jpg (204.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-13-2023, 07:31 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Mexico Beach really got SCHWACKED last time. As a result major anti-hurricane efforts in construction. My understanding tighter than Miami's was years back. Co$t$ are up as I understand too.

Mary Ester and most of Fort Walton has some "old" stuff around. Friends had a place just 4 blocks east. It backed up against the reservation. They fixed it up real nice. You have water in the back yard that could be a +/-

But if you don't mind doing work...

It has turning room for the trailer and boat and side parking where the trailer is too. Also looks to be a RV friendly neighborhood. I wouldn't expect any HOA there, but never know.

My advise - don't try and grow any grass. Go for ground cover. Let nature take care of it and just don't mind the occasional snake.

Good luck. Watch that Beach -Traffic.

Cheers - Jim
Old 10-13-2023, 07:45 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Any pointers on how to find a map of camping locations. The site is a bit clunky to navigate and find what would work for a van camper. We go to FL Jan - Mar and would like to find out of the way (and quiet) places to camp.
It is klunky - and I bet they do that on purpose!

You can look on line and the various districts have their campground info, contact online/phone and set it up. It is not "same-day" and some limitations on stay over. Many free and a few $$ at best. We stayed in free ones. Markings off the main-drag not always so clear, so be prepared for an overshoot. The ones we've stayed at had a boat ramp - water district, usually a porta-potty or 2, and fire-pits/picnic tables. No power drops but yes on waste disposal/trash - no dump facilities.

The Florida State Forrest (not the Parks) has a network as well, they are a money-deal, but more upscale with dumpsites etc. https://floridastateforests.reservea...eParksWeekends

It looks like the Florida State Parks has a new reservation system - worth checking out too:
https://www.floridastateparks.org/stay-night
FL State Parks will waive fees for mil/veterans.

Friendly Florida sportsmen/women out for some fish usually.

Cheers - Jim
Old 10-20-2023, 09:22 PM   #7

If you are still looking for boondocking places in Apalachicola, in 2019 we've spent a night in each of Battery Park--south end of Water St.--and Waterfront Park--about six blocks north on Water St. I don't know how Covid has changed the landscape, though.