Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
For one we are talking about Class Bs and the LTVs you speak of are Class Cs, and we are talking about the real physical possibilities of locating plumbing in Class B vans which in many ways is a height, location and physical size issue that building Class C boxes can address but Class Bs not so easily. So, if you want to cite examples, get real.

Check valve for the floor drain? Explain. Got any Class B examples of that? How soon do you think a check valve will fail when one side is backed up with slurry and what happens when you have to drain water from your shower? Liquid flows both ways and I did ask you about water seeking its own level.

Tell me again what you accomplish other than one over all smaller tank vs two separate tanks with potentially more capacity?
For one we are talking about Class Bs and the LTVs you speak of are Class Cs, and we are talking about the real physical possibilities of locating plumbing in Class B vans which in many ways is a height, location and physical size issue that building Class C boxes can address but Class Bs not so easily. So, if you want to cite examples, get real.

Check valve for the floor drain? Explain. Got any Class B examples of that? How soon do you think a check valve will fail when one side is backed up with slurry and what happens when you have to drain water from your shower? Liquid flows both ways and I did ask you about water seeking its own level.

Tell me again what you accomplish other than one over all smaller tank vs two separate tanks with potentially more capacity?[/QUOTE]

I've read a lot of Class B vs. Class C diatribes but this is the first time I've seen the distinction used for defending a particular plumbing approach.

The Unity TB is on the same platform as any other Sprinter Class B coach. Plumbing is plumbing and the immutable rule in plumbing is that poop and pee flows downhill. Despite your pronouncement that the black tank must be directly below the toilet, I provided an example of an exception to this practice. Your response that well, it's a class C, not a class B is bizarre. I got real. Perhaps, you are the one that needs to get real.

I didn't propose using check valves as a solution. Rather, since check valves are commonly used for flow control, I simply asked the question whether they could be of value in mitigating a flooding risk or the extent of a flood in an RV application. I certainly don't know if or when a check valve dealing with macerator slurry would fail but despite your objection, the fact is I suspect you don't know either. No question, an operating check valve below a toilet or shower drain about to flood will make them both unusable but at the point of threatened regurgitation of waste, might that not be closer to a virtue than a shortcoming? I'm fully aware of water seeking its own level but my cursory knowledge of check valves indicates they are capable of preventing liquids from doing precisely that. Given the unwelcome choice, I would prefer having undrained grey water sloshing around in my shower stall than black water.

Tell me again what you accomplish other than one over all smaller tank vs two separate tanks with potentially more capacity?

Avanti is the lead proponent for a single tank system and he has the credentials of working with both single and dual tank systems. I've only dealt with dual tanks so I don't have that breadth of experience so on this subject, I'm a student, not a teacher. His argument may or may not be persuasive but at least it's based on real world experience. Your pitch that a single tank is inferior is based essentially on the allegation that the current Class B builders have uniformly adopted two tank systems as a convention, (which is not true), so it's the only sensible way to build a waste discharge system. I don't buy it. Conventions do have their virtue of promoting stability and averting disaster but at the unfortunate price of encouraging the Not Invented Here syndrome and inhibiting thinking out of the box.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote