Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2021, 05:50 PM   #1

Default Brake Service on Mercedes

Has anyone had to have their brakes serviced on a Mercedes based Class B? (I have a 2017 Era/2016 Sprinter 3500) Wondering what to expect when I do have to do it...such as how many miles logged when pads replaced, cost, etc. Mercedes service is very expensive and don't want to be blindsided when It does occur.
KYRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Nothing very special about Sprinter brakes. Any good garage can do it for a lot less than the dealer would charge. Parts are somewhat high, but won't ruin your day.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:11 AM   #3

A family member who had a problem with her brakes forced me to learn how to change pads and rotors. It's usually not that hard and it may be an idea to learn how to do it yourself, though I understand how people may be hesitant to work on such a critical part of their rig.

I don't have a Sprinter, but to make a general comment about mileage between brake jobs is that it can vary dramatically depending how you drive. City driving is harder on brakes (usually) than highway. Hilly terrain harder than flat (obviously). So living in some parts of San Fran could cause you to need more frequent brake jobs...

Also, Class Bs (Sprinter or not) are often pushing the limit in terms of max weight. Weight also has a harsh effect on brake life.
ProB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:20 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I have never had brakes serviced over three Sprinters after 61,000, 65,000 and 95,000 miles and getting MB only service which everyone knows is costing us at a premium and if they had to be serviced you know they would gladly tell you. The 95,000 Sprinter was last serviced at the 80,000 interval but the last time I drove it, I noticed know need for brake service. I attribute that from only using our Class B Sprinters mostly on the highways with little need for braking for several miles as opposed to day to day city driving.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:56 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I bought my Sprinter with 41K miles, replaced the back brakes around 43K, front at 53K. Local mechanic shop that works on Sprinters replaced them, the parts were a little more expensive than a car but he gave me 2 options on brakes and I chose the better brakes.

I can and have replaced brakes on my vehicles but I'm not that fond of the bottle jack that comes with the vehicle and it's easier to take it in.

I spend a lot more time driving through large, congested cities and mountains than I like just to go places so I can't really give you a good idea of how long your brakes will last. Plus most of the miles on my Sprinter were driven by someone else. I try to avoid the Mercedes dealer.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote