Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2020, 05:12 PM   #1

Default Recommendations for stove top coffee percolator

HI
I am a newbie . Just got my first van - a vintage PW1999 . Spending the winter slowly getting her outfitted for spring travel . Wondering about recommendations for a stove top coffee percolator > for the 2 burner propane stove . Would not be using on a outfire set up . There are so many on the online stores - it hard to decide - just wondered what folks out there have been using to make a nice simple cup of coffee .
Thanks
Mayanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Since you’re using the stovetop, have you considered a pour-over set-up? Easier cleanup and a superior cup of coffee IMO. Any cone holder will do, with filters to match. You need a fresh, fine grind, and we usually treat ourselves to a small bag of locally roasted beans when we head out on a trip, pre-ground to order for convenience.

We make ours into vacuum tumblers so it stays hot. Since I like mine quite a bit stronger than my wife, it’s easy to adjust each pour to taste.

We actually use an old SS percolator (minus the guts) to heat water. The tall, narrow profile fits a small RV burner better than a kettle, and it’s easier to control the pour.

We have kids, so the same hot water makes tea or cocoa for them.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:23 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayanna View Post
HI
Wondering about recommendations for a stove top coffee percolator >.
I brought a really nice used Revere Ware percolator on Ebay. It is nice and has come in handy once in a while. But you have to be really careful, cause it is really easy to boil it over, so I seldom use it anymore!

I'm considering buying a pour over Melitta 10 cup coffee pot for the RT. I'd get the Aero Press, but I'm a coffee drinker - several cups before going out the door!
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:40 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny-pat View Post
I brought a really nice used Revere Ware percolator on Ebay. It is nice and has come in handy once in a while. But you have to be really careful, cause it is really easy to boil it over, so I seldom use it anymore!

I'm considering buying a pour over Melitta 10 cup coffee pot for the RT. I'd get the Aero Press, but I'm a coffee drinker - several cups before going out the door!
My tumbler is 20oz, so I basically brew my first and second cups at once. The tumbler keeps it hot for a couple of hours. At the strength I drink, a third cup would be inadvisable!

I’ve heard good things about the Aeropress, but I’d rather splurge on the beans than the equipment.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:19 AM   #5

Default Making coffee

thank you for your advice about the coffee making options .
Mayanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:35 PM   #6
Platinum Member

My first thought is what do you know about or think about PRESS COFFEE? Then there is the type of coffee maker. Then my go-to while on the road is Drip Coffee makers. Some have timers, but I'm not into that. Here is a website for a few drip coffee makers: https://www.cooksillustrated.com/art...r-on-the-cheap

If I were to suggest a coffee bean, I would strongly suggest finding a local coffee roaster.
as for the press coffee here is a site: https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/app...-french-press/

For the campfire coffee, I would direct you to

GOOD LUCK TO YOU MY FELLOW RV'ers and COFFEE Lover haha. I do wish you well on your coffee search.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:56 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I've tried many of the drip coffee makers, and my personal choice is Bunn. I'm on my third regretfully, due to very hard water. Hard water kills drip coffee makers. No room for the Bunn in my Roadtek, but I use to take it in the Foretravel.
As to local coffee roaster, don't have one within 50 miles. I use Folgers Black Silk. Any one who visits and drinks coffee, raves how good mine is. I credit Bunn and Black Silk.
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
Old 12-07-2020, 04:16 PM   #8
Platinum Member

That’s funny. My county is officially classified as a “food desert, “ and we have to drive 150 miles to get good produce, fresh seafood, and ethnic specialty ingredients. But we have a local roaster and a gazillion small coffee shops.

Vinegar will save an automatic coffee maker, but it’s a pain when it has to be done every week. We have the same problem at home. Any electric coffee making system might be a problem for the OP, who has an older unit likely sporting a fairly rudimentary power set-up.

I think pour-over is the simplest stovetop method. We used a percolator for several years when camping until I discovered pour-over.. I find stovetop percolators fussy, requiring continuous babysitting, and take a lot of water to clean.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:13 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I use an AeroPress, I make it strong and then dilute it. I find it's less acidic and the little puck of coffee is very easy to toss. I think it works best with a stronger coffee like espresso with a fine grind. Previously I used the pour over method, I like the AeroPress better.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
I use an AeroPress, I make it strong and then dilute it. I find it's less acidic and the little puck of coffee is very easy to toss. I think it works best with a stronger coffee like espresso with a fine grind. Previously I used the pour over method, I like the AeroPress better.
I've been thinking about going to AeroPress. Better flavor? Easier to use, clean?
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:25 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I've been thinking about going to AeroPress. Better flavor? Easier to use, clean?
Have read really good reviews about them!
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
Old 12-08-2020, 05:10 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Default Pour-over is inexpensive

I use this at home and am very happy with it. It uses #2 filters (which are carried in pretty much every grocery store and cheaper to buy locally). Just set it on top of your cup / travel mug / pot, put the appropriate amount of ground coffee in the filter, and pour the water over the coffee. Retains the flavor of the coffee unlike percolator method. Filters the coffee which I think gives it a smoother taste than french press. Is easy to clean because you just toss the filter and give it a slight rinse. No complicated parts like an Aeropress.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For camping I recently acquired this portable pour-over coffee maker:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is pretty good. Makes decent coffee, though a metal filter doesn't create quite the same smooth taste that a paper filter does. The grinder is slow but still much faster than my hand grinder. Overall I am happy with it.
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:06 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I'm currently using mostly a Ready Set Joe plastic cone from Melitta though sometimes use a collapsible silicon cone. I generally use number 4 filters as they are usually cheaper and are easier to work with(Melitta brown).

I picked up an el cheapo burr grinder from Aldi that works OK about two years ago and has been used at least once a day in that time period. No complaints except it will not grind to a fine powder. I just run it on the inverter when camping. I do carry a hand grinder "just in case". I shudder to think of going coffee-less in the morning.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Before I bought the aeropress I used the pour over method or purchased concentrated cold brew (which was easy but flavor wasn't great).

I usually drink light roast due to acidity, I also add half and half or milk. I practiced with the aeropress at home and found the medium and darker roasts taste better and it wasn't acidic or bitter. I took all 3 types with me on my last trip and brought espresso for the aeropress. We only used the aeropress.

My SO thought the aeropress was a pain but he wasn't the person using it. I find the pour over to be messy, the grounds are messy and take up a lot of space in my tiny trash can and usually one of us is drinking coffee and the other one is waiting. The aeropress is very easy to clean and they give you a ton of filters however light roast coffee tends to taste weak (it's possible longer steep time may fix that). The aeropress coffee definitely tastes better than the pour over (there may be a required skill that I don't have) and the purchased cold brew.

For the aeropress if you drink a lot of coffee, I suggest make it strong and dilute it and don't buy the smaller travel size. I don't flip it upside like some people recommend, you can find a lot of suggestions and reviews for it online.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:42 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
Before I bought the aeropress I used the pour over method or purchased concentrated cold brew (which was easy but flavor wasn't great).

I usually drink light roast due to acidity, I also add half and half or milk. I practiced with the aeropress at home and found the medium and darker roasts taste better and it wasn't acidic or bitter. I took all 3 types with me on my last trip and brought espresso for the aeropress. We only used the aeropress.

My SO thought the aeropress was a pain but he wasn't the person using it. I find the pour over to be messy, the grounds are messy and take up a lot of space in my tiny trash can and usually one of us is drinking coffee and the other one is waiting. The aeropress is very easy to clean and they give you a ton of filters however light roast coffee tends to taste weak (it's possible longer steep time may fix that). The aeropress coffee definitely tastes better than the pour over (there may be a required skill that I don't have) and the purchased cold brew.

For the aeropress if you drink a lot of coffee, I suggest make it strong and dilute it and don't buy the smaller travel size. I don't flip it upside like some people recommend, you can find a lot of suggestions and reviews for it online.
Thanks.

Extra characters added to meet minimum.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:06 AM   #16
Platinum Member

I use a perc ( farberware?)

Happy with it, clean up is a bother- I dump out what goes easy and then let the left over grounds dry, and they tap out easy in a few hours.

the quality of the coffee favor is very good

it's of a size which stores easily, cost about $18

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:41 PM   #17
Bronze Member

I like a pour over. They make a great cup of coffee and come in various sizes from small to large. They're very easy to clean, just lift up the filter with the grounds or dump it. (No need to rinse is very important when boon docking.)

To get great coffee from a pour over:
• pour just enough water to cover the grounds and let rest for 30-45 seconds (the bloom)
• Then slowly add water and occasionally stir and rinse down any coffee that's sitting high on the filter. Don't add all the water at once!
ikanode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #18
Bronze Member

We use a Coleman propane coffee maker works well 10 cups and use a thermos for whats left over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coleman.jpg (4.2 KB, 138 views)
Monstermash74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:07 PM   #19
otr
Gold Member

Default Coffee

We use a stove top espresso maker, like a bialetta, there are some great stainless ones which don't oxidize like the traditional Italian octagonal ones.
Also I use and aero press when camping, turn it upside down, and put in the coffee, add boiling water, stir then install the filter and base, let it sit upside down until it steeps to your desired level, the. Turn over and press thru the filter.
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:20 PM   #20

Kettle and an aeropress... easy peasy. Boil a little extra water to rinse the aeropress.
BasicBill is offline   Reply With Quote