Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2021, 10:53 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Lady View Post
RLUM - you mentioned you are waiting for the compressor and that you "ordered vitrifrigo components". Thought the compressor was part of a refrig. ...but not with vitrifrigo?? Is there an advantage to ordering components separately?
Hi:

My situation is a little different. I have existing Dometic RML 8330. Very narrow(16.5 inches) so cabinets are built around unit. Dometic just came out with a compressor refrigerator replacement. Unfortunately model is not available in USA. Decided to convert my Dometic to compressor. Removed and strip out 3 way components. Originally ordered a Nova Kool conversion kit. Unfortunately, the compressor foot print was too large for available space. Returned and reordered the Vitrifrigo conversion components. Now waiting for the final component to arrive probably January. I would not suggest doing this unless you cannot get a complete unit to fit existing space.

Most all refrigerator manufacturers sell conversion units. You cannot go wrong with any compressor refrigerator found in the marine world. They generally are made more robust than rv products. I would stay away from products made in China. Nova Kool made in Canada and Vitrifrigo made in Italy. Just have to wait 3-4 months.
Old 12-23-2021, 11:41 AM   #22
Platinum Member

You have a 2016 Lexor & I presume this is the model;

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdoo...0?v=9105706990

I didn't realize Novakool & Vitrifrigo/Isotherm even made retrofit units. Has been getting the parts from Italy problematic?

Did you know others that have converted & had great success?
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 11:59 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
You have a 2016 Lexor & I presume this is the model;

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdoo...0?v=9105706990

I didn't realize Novakool & Vitrifrigo/Isotherm even made retrofit units. Has been getting the parts from Italy problematic?

Did you know others that have converted & had great success?
Actually most companies make retro fit or conversion kits. Dometic, Norcold, etc make conversion kits. Most are sold by marine outfitters. You can get them just have to know which one fits best.

I ran into a problem because I copies/followed a Travator onwer. He had the same Dometic but a Winnebago build. Mine being a PW has different space limitations.

My conversion is not complete. About 50 percent done. I have changed the design many times. Learning and doing as I go along. Think I will get there but it has been a journey. Saved money but would have been easier if I could purchase a replacement unit. Some people on Facebook PW forum have done a conversion but did not post their progress or results. If they had I could have saved some time/money.
Old 12-23-2021, 02:48 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Here's someone who upgraded the absorption fridge in her Pleasureway Ascent (e.g. 19' Sprinter) to an Isotherm in the same space. Thus far, they seem quite pleased with the results.

BTW, I am with those who would never install a Dometic fridge, and I would also push NeverKool to the back of the line vs. an Isotherm or a Vitrifrigo. We have a NeverKool in our van right now, and the struggle to keep it cool inside is real. Most likely a ventilation issue, but I have also noted that insulation on our NeverKool unit is quite poor - so bad in fact that putting a couple of layers of Reflectix on the top of the fridge actually made a difference. As has been noted, the NeverKool also fails miserably when it comes to keeping ice cream frozen hard enough to be worth eating.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 02:59 PM   #25
Silver Member

LOL... too funny... multi use sensor!! Love it!
NW Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 03:02 PM   #26
Silver Member

Mexican Doctor - do you know why isotherm keep ice cream hard but novakool doesn't? I just got an email that west marine has one isotherm in stock... the 85L one (height about 25"). Wondering if I should jump on that.
Old 12-23-2021, 03:03 PM   #27
Silver Member

Rocinante - thank you for the video and your thoughts on novakool.
Old 12-23-2021, 04:10 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Lady View Post
Mexican Doctor - do you know why isotherm keep ice cream hard but novakool doesn't? I just got an email that west marine has one isotherm in stock... the 85L one (height about 25"). Wondering if I should jump on that.
Go here & it's near the bottom, look for;
WHY IS ICECREAM SO HARD TO KEEP FIRM?

If you are in a rush, buy the 85 NOW before anyone else reads this.

But ONLY IF you are not going to have any venting* or carpentry** issues.

*at Engineering School it's called the Venturi effect. I am allergic to understanding anything but Human Engineering & Health.

**then the cost can increase dramatically

I know a few people here including Booster started with the 85 Isotherm.

The Isotherm & Vitrifrigo are better made, they look better but from the Marine guys they hinted at the level of complication if something goes wrong, a smaller service network & the issue of parts from Italy & this was before the Supply Chain problems.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 12-23-2021, 04:14 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
Actually most companies make retro fit or conversion kits. Dometic, Norcold, etc make conversion kits. Most are sold by marine outfitters. You can get them just have to know which one fits best.

I ran into a problem because I copies/followed a Travator onwer. He had the same Dometic but a Winnebago build. Mine being a PW has different space limitations.

My conversion is not complete. About 50 percent done. I have changed the design many times. Learning and doing as I go along. Think I will get there but it has been a journey. Saved money but would have been easier if I could purchase a replacement unit. Some people on Facebook PW forum have done a conversion but did not post their progress or results. If they had I could have saved some time/money.
What a hassle. My RV Guy told me about this episode now& how Dometoc screwed lots of buyers & offered them no alternatives.
Old 12-23-2021, 04:18 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Here's someone who upgraded the absorption fridge in her Pleasureway Ascent (e.g. 19' Sprinter) to an Isotherm in the same space. Thus far, they seem quite pleased with the results.

BTW, I am with those who would never install a Dometic fridge, and I would also push NeverKool to the back of the line vs. an Isotherm or a Vitrifrigo. We have a NeverKool in our van right now, and the struggle to keep it cool inside is real. Most likely a ventilation issue, but I have also noted that insulation on our NeverKool unit is quite poor - so bad in fact that putting a couple of layers of Reflectix on the top of the fridge actually made a difference. As has been noted, the NeverKool also fails miserably when it comes to keeping ice cream frozen hard enough to be worth eating.

Call the Head Engineer at Novakool, they went out of their way to help me.
Old 12-23-2021, 04:23 PM   #31
Site Team

The fact is that most or all of these compressor units use the same venerable Danfoss compressors and controllers. The differences are in (a) fit and finish; (b) insulation; and (c) thermostat system. A few have dual compressors.

With the exception of electronic thermostats (which few have--sometimes an option), I see no reason to expect much difference in repair difficulty. Parts availability, I don't know. My current NovaKool has never failed.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:29 PM   #32
Platinum Member

That video of the Pleasure-way Ascent above is an Isotherm Cruise Freeline 115, which is the same refrigerator I put in my van. This is an X-ray view of my cabinet from my 3D SketchUp CAD drawing.

It is a tall cabinet in the sliding door space with a gap so it is not on an exterior wall. The cabinet has a storage notch of 17" high where there are vents at the bottom of the fridge which vents out the top of the cabinet at the ceiling. The fridge is at a convenient height instead of under counter. The microwave is above and then the Advanced RV Silverleaf monitor and a "ton" of controller modules behind it.

I like this fridge for the large freezer and good design as the video mentioned. It is smaller than the two Nova Kool 6800s I had in my prior two RVs but is proving adequate at 115 liters or 4 cubic feet. The freezer will hold a quart of ice cream or 4 frozen pizza boxes as Isotherm illustrates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4DCB9447-CE25-4CAF-BBAC-262EFB64E714_1_201_a.jpg (296.0 KB, 4 views)
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:37 PM   #33
Platinum Member

A Dometic will work fine if you add fans to blow air over the coils, particularly if you block certain vents to force air over the finned tube at the top. This is not hard to do and much easier and cheaper than installing a new fridge. When I ran instrumented tests it maintained a 35°F differential on 120v AC and could probably maintain as much as 45°. It stays cold driving on DC. I'll elaborate if you're interested in the details.

In 20 years (and 15 since installing fans) we've never bothered too much about careful leveling. If the van is comfortable for walking around inside the fridge will be fine.
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:48 PM   #34
Silver Member

thank you, Rtbill. I do have a "refrig" fan that I turn on in warmer temps but.... last summer, camping in 80+ temps with no shade, could NOT keep temp in refrig safe even with fan going 24/7. Did not have shore power so couldn't run AC and didn't want to try and run gen too much. Parked so sun didn't hit refrig side.
So.... I am probably going to switch to compressor type. Sad as my dometic is only about 4 yrs old.
Old 12-23-2021, 04:53 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
The fact is that most or all of these compressor units use the same venerable Danfoss compressors and controllers. The differences are in (a) fit and finish; (b) insulation; and (c) thermostat system. A few have dual compressors.

With the exception of electronic thermostats (which few have--sometimes an option), I see no reason to expect much difference in repair difficulty. Parts availability, I don't know. My current NovaKool has never failed.
Sawafuji Swing compressor is considered better than Danfoss/Secop by some folks, less moving parts. Engel fridges are using them, I considered Engel for my conversion but popularity of Danfoss swing my decision.

https://www.mygenerator.com.au/blog/...amping-fridge/
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:10 PM   #36
Platinum Member

My mistake -- the test I quoted was actually on 12v DC. That was an 80 degree clear summer day with the fridge facing the sun.

Different Dometic models may work better or worse.

NW Lady -- If you're in the Seattle area you're welcome to drop by and see what I've done with our fridge.
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 07:35 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Sawafuji Swing compressor is considered better than Danfoss/Secop by some folks, less moving parts. Engel fridges are using them, I considered Engel for my conversion but popularity of Danfoss swing my decision.

https://www.mygenerator.com.au/blog/...amping-fridge/
I have two Engels in my van—one set as fridge (33°F), the other as freezer (0°F). Amazing machines.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 12:08 AM   #38
Bronze Member

In my 1998 coach house I am running the original 2way fridge. It runs off battery power(2 lead acid) or shore power. It gets cold in 90 weather. I run the Genny every couple days to charge the batties. I personally love my 2 way.
Frumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 01:42 AM   #39
Silver Member

That is impressive. Definitely an oldie and a goodie!!
Old 01-08-2022, 06:41 PM   #40
Bronze Member

Yes,I fear the day when it dies(back of my mind) but when it does,I will get another 2 way compressor fridge.My currant model # is a Norcold Tek 2. Model #DE-390. Might as well start looking now, Anybody have any Ideas for a drop-in replacement. Another option is to rebuild this one. Any appliance repair shop should be able to do it.If the parts were avalibale. One other nice thing about this fridge is,I dont have to be worried about being level!
Frumpster is offline   Reply With Quote