Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2023, 07:02 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Dual Alternator setup for 04 Chevy Express?

Has anyone had luck installing a dual alternator system in a 2004 chevy Express? 04C190P. What I've seen is 2006 and on.
Thanks!
Old 09-17-2023, 02:03 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Have you considered just installing a heavy duty alternator in place of your stock one?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 02:37 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I think a 2004 will be the same as the rest of the Chevies of that generation. Probably best to check with Nations Starter and Alternator to see for sure as you would likely be getting it from them. Not a simple or overly hard to put in but does take some disassembly of stuff to do and probably want to move the mountings for the dipesticks a bit.

With a 2004 you will have a better choice of how to do the wiring as you don't have a PCM controlled alternator in it. The wire to the PCM is just a signal of load and doesn't get controlled. This allows you put both alternators on a single remote regulator in parallel if you want. You can also put in the second alternator as a standalone on an internal or external regulator depending on you battery type and preference. We run our 2007 setup parallel.

What are you looking to get for benefit and use from the second alternator?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 04:48 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I've already added a high-output alternator, but it is not providing as much output as I was hoping. I've got another thread regarding that:https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...90p-11671.html. I am playing phone tag with Nations on causation. Looking again at a dual setup, but not finding kits.

We've got 3 Lifeline 125AH AGM's, and the original alternator took forever to charge them (still happening with the high-output alternator).

I did talk with Nations, and their kit starts at 2006. I've seen that at other providers as well.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2023, 06:35 PM   #5
Platinum Member

This should be the kit for a 2004 van unless there was some change in the vans that I haven't heard of.

https://www.nationsstarteralternator...k-3992v-i6.htm

I don't know why they list it for only 2006 and up as the change in system to PCM controlled came in 2008 and those and higher have to use it as a standalone alternator not parallel.

There probably is someone on the forum that has added one to a pre 2006 model though.

Be aware that an internal regulator if you go that way will not charge in absorption long enough to get totally full on an AGM, and neither will a Balmar. Getting totally full on lead acid batteries is very difficult unless you can lock in absorption longer.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 04:47 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Please note that I asked the moderator to split most of the original commentary over to this thread: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...90p-11671.html