Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2023, 03:55 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Ecoflow for RV

If I would do a new conversion, I would certainly evaluate this option. A 2kWh option would be at comparable cost to my home brewed kit of 230Ah AGM. (Magnum, Morningstar, Fullriver)

https://ourkaravan.com/ecoflow/
https://www.ecoflow.com/us/vanlife-r...RoCutgQAvD_BwE
https://shopsolarkits.com/blogs/lear...rator%20sector.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 05:12 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
If I would do a new conversion, I would certainly evaluate this option. A 2kWh option would be at comparable cost to my home brewed kit of 230Ah AGM. (Magnum, Morningstar, Fullriver)

https://ourkaravan.com/ecoflow/
https://www.ecoflow.com/us/vanlife-r...RoCutgQAvD_BwE
https://shopsolarkits.com/blogs/lear...rator%20sector.

The specs don't look great if I am looking at the right pages.

NCM batteries so not as safe. 500-800 cycle life? Kind of like phones are.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 05:46 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The specs don't look great if I am looking at the right pages.

NCM batteries so not as safe. 500-800 cycle life? Kind of like phones are.
I didn’t dive into technical details, so you could be correct. What I like is a design as a system, integrated approach to multiple charging sources.

Unfortunately, the fellow from the Sprinter forum (Asimba2) who evaluated it for a couple of months didn’t reveal any evaluation details except it worked.

Ecoflow folks claim an intelligent charging control, this could be important for safety, likely safer than “just use Lithium like AGMs” advertising.
Time will tell how well their system will sell in NA.
Old 11-15-2023, 05:50 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
I didn’t dive into technical details, so you could be correct. What I like is a design as a system, integrated approach to multiple charging sources.

Unfortunately, the fellow from the Sprinter forum (Asimba2) who evaluated it for a couple of months didn’t reveal any evaluation details except it worked.

Ecoflow folks claim an intelligent charging control, this could be important for safety, likely safer than “just use Lithium like AGMs” advertising.
Time will tell how well their system will sell in NA.
George, booster, Drifter Vans is installing the Ecoflow Power Kit.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 07:35 PM   #5
Platinum Member

It appears that the Delta Max 2000 is the only one with the non LFP chemistry and low cycle life.

The others all list LFP batteries and an optimistic, I think, 3K cycles at 80% DOD.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:20 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Good summary from Ourkaravan page listed above:

In summary, this EcoFlow Power Kit is an absolute game-changer when it comes to van electrical systems. The time savings from not having to research, mount discrete electrical components and wire it all together is massive. EcoFlow provides an additional level of safety because this is a highly engineered and integrated electrical system. Finally, the ability to easily expand the battery capacity and the over-the-air updates will keep this system relevant for years to come.

We can’t come up with any reason we wouldn’t go this route if starting over today.

I likely spent a month designing my system and would still make some changes today, this is why I like their integrated approach.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:37 PM   #7
Site Team

Looks nice. But I'm not sure I see the advantage over buying into the Victron ecosystem. As far as I can see, it is just integrated and much more mature and flexible. Perhaps the learning curve may be a little bit steeper, but the effort pays dividends in power, openness, and sophistication.

OTOH, I guess the fancy plugs are nice. Also, the integrated distribution panel may have merit if it works out well with your layout. But while gaining in convenience, you are giving up flexibility if space is an issue.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 09:43 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Looks nice. But I'm not sure I see the advantage over buying into the Victron ecosystem. As far as I can see, it is just integrated and much more mature and flexible. Perhaps the learning curve may be a little bit steeper, but the effort pays dividends in power, openness, and sophistication.

OTOH, I guess the fancy plugs are nice. Also, the integrated distribution panel may have merit if it works out well with your layout. But while gaining in convenience, you are giving up flexibility if space is an issue.
I am not familiar enough with Victron so I don’t know how they manage individual cells and charge termination but Ecoflow guys have at least a good promise. Engineers who started the company came from DJI drone company, they should know something about Li batteries. I never dived into Li technology so my knowledge is limited, but reading stories here and there, charging and individual cell management is not trivial, not trivial enough for a camper fellow like myself.

Copied from shopsolarkits site:

"X-STREAM Technology
Every EcoFlow device comes with proprietary X-STREAM technology. X-STREAM recharge technology allows EcoFlow devices to charge 10 times faster than any of their competitors.
The company won’t disclose exactly how the technology works. According to their press release, EcoFlow batteries use a sophisticated AI power Battery Management System to monitor and control the individual Lithium-Ion cells in the battery.
X-STREAM technology is what keeps the EcoFlow Delta 1300 charge time under 2 hours, from 0% to fully charged."
Old 11-15-2023, 10:28 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am not familiar enough with Victron so I don’t know how they manage individual cells and charge termination but Ecoflow guys have at least a good promise. Engineers who started the company came from DJI drone company, they should know something about Li batteries. I never dived into Li technology so my knowledge is limited, but reading stories here and there, charging and individual cell management is not trivial, not trivial enough for a camper fellow like myself.

Copied from shopsolarkits site:

"X-STREAM Technology
Every EcoFlow device comes with proprietary X-STREAM technology. X-STREAM recharge technology allows EcoFlow devices to charge 10 times faster than any of their competitors.
The company won’t disclose exactly how the technology works. According to their press release, EcoFlow batteries use a sophisticated AI power Battery Management System to monitor and control the individual Lithium-Ion cells in the battery.
X-STREAM technology is what keeps the EcoFlow Delta 1300 charge time under 2 hours, from 0% to fully charged."

2 hour charging really isn't all that fast, I think. It would mean charging at .5C if I read it right. Many of the lithium manufacturers are now suggesting best charge rates at .2-.4C but some are still at 1C. That puts .5 right at the higher end of current recommendations, I think.

We will be charging at .2 to .25 on our 618ah bank at 120-150 amps depending on how I set it.

Tags
ecoflow