Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2023, 08:27 AM   #61
Platinum Member

Jim - In the B2B solution you went with, are you using the internal regulator on the alternator, or an external?

I've already got a Nations 240Amp hairpin wound in place of the stock unit, using the internal regulator. At the most basic level, if I wanted to improve my system, all I would need to add is a B2B? Wiring has already been updated.
Old 09-09-2023, 10:09 AM   #62
Platinum Member

Internal, no additional regulation required.

The B2B has "the ball" for ensuring enough gets to the house bank. That is why it is important (IMHO) to match the B2B to the alternator, and to the house bank. The alternator is connected to the Starting battery the the B2B to the House from the start battery. That way the Starting battery gets priority, and the rest is passed to the house. An alternator will give what it has, and when the internal regulator senses the demand (from the house) continues its output. If the B2B is too large, the alternator will give unitl is is toast.

So with a 240A hairpin wound alternator, I'm guessing the Hot Rating is maybe 150A? I believe (and understand from working with Sterling on my build), that with a 240/150 Hot Rated Alternator, a 120 amp B2B might be the highest you'd find. [Coincidentally, it is the biggest they have available in the US - no import duty - but still set you back 1 BOAT BUCK!]

Such a unit produces around 1600Watts, so it wouldn't replace a genset, but let you boondock a while-fuel, water, food, tankage limitations notwithstanding.

More info than you asked for. Not a salesman, just impressed with the technology. I have used a variety of Smart Regulators (Xantrex, Balmar, Next Step, SAR-v3, etc.) in the past on both single and dual alternator installations.

I think the B2B (DC-DC) is the next step.

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 10:46 AM   #63
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
Internal, no additional regulation required.

The B2B has "the ball" for ensuring enough gets to the house bank. That is why it is important (IMHO) to match the B2B to the alternator, and to the house bank. The alternator is connected to the Starting battery the the B2B to the House from the start battery. That way the Starting battery gets priority, and the rest is passed to the house. An alternator will give what it has, and when the internal regulator senses the demand (from the house) continues its output. If the B2B is too large, the alternator will give unitl is is toast.

So with a 240A hairpin wound alternator, I'm guessing the Hot Rating is maybe 150A? I believe (and understand from working with Sterling on my build), that with a 240/150 Hot Rated Alternator, a 120 amp B2B might be the highest you'd find. [Coincidentally, it is the biggest they have available in the US - no import duty - but still set you back 1 BOAT BUCK!]

Such a unit produces around 1600Watts, so it wouldn't replace a genset, but let you boondock a while-fuel, water, food, tankage limitations notwithstanding.

More info than you asked for. Not a salesman, just impressed with the technology. I have used a variety of Smart Regulator in the past. I think this solution is the next step.

Cheers - Jim

Yep, and he also has to be aware that he will be sharing the output with the van electronics, so the 150 amp hot rating would not all be available to the coach. Our Chevy takes about 15-20 amps for normal driving and if you add a heater fan running at 15+ amps, headlghts and other lights, etc it an go up quickly. I have read that at full load and high rpm some vehicles will be using well over 50 amps for just the engine.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 09:09 PM   #64
Platinum Member

Thanks, guys for the input. More to noodle over!
Old 09-22-2023, 11:59 PM   #65
Platinum Member

Stupid question time, I'm trying to wrap my head around the alternator side of this equation.

If I configure the Sterling to limit to 100A, would it pull that much (when needed per the charge curve) from my Alternator, regardless of the alternator regulator?
Old 09-23-2023, 01:11 AM   #66
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauscs View Post
Stupid question time, I'm trying to wrap my head around the alternator side of this equation.

If I configure the Sterling to limit to 100A, would it pull that much (when needed per the charge curve) from my Alternator, regardless of the alternator regulator?

I think that depends on what Sterling you have. I haven't looked at their lineup in quite a while but last time I did they had one normal remote regulator, b to b chargers, and also a regulator that will increase the field voltage to pull more from the alternator than the internal regulator was doing by itself (essentially it piggy backed the internal regulator.

The problem with the internal regulators is that they are designed to do the charging on the van starting battery so have profile to do that. In general, starting batteries rarely are charged to full and run in the 80% full range, it appears from looking at our vehicles. Put that on an AGM bank that you want to take care of by getting full charges and it just doesn't work out right.

You have to be careful with a remote regulator also, though, and B to B chargers similarly, as some of them don't let you set the all the parameters you need for decent charging. None of them, with the exception of the new Wakespeed regulator (which I intend to install this winter and test next camping season will charge to tail amp absorption to float transition. You Trimetric is able to do that and that is why you got the full indicator light on it even with the correct settings which are such that normal charging doesn't get there.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 05:25 PM   #67
Gold Member

@phantomjock - where'd you mount the sterling B2B ? can you post or dm a pic?
Old 09-24-2023, 09:04 PM   #68
Platinum Member

Default Sterling B2B Mount in RT170

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlillard23 View Post
@phantomjock - where'd you mount the sterling B2B ? can you post or dm a pic?
Hey Dick -

Here are a couple of pics. I've taken "command" - note the small letters - of the cabinet the TV was mounted on.

The inside real estate is basically divided in two. Top shelf is Inverter/Charger Remote, Shore Power/RP Indicator, and Battery/Charge Monitor. The bottom shelf is the B2B and its Controller.

I used some screen to fabricate a safe-space with built in cooling. No overheating even in FL sun. Sterling has these rated high - I forgot the exact temp.

The TV is out and its VESA mount. Next the DVD player. Still searching options for video entertainment, but for now it is Laptop and Bluetooth to the speakers. [Which I need to work out a better solution for...]

Hope that is helpful. Remember it is a 170 - so I really did stake out a sizable portion of the available storage space!

Cheers - Jim
Old 10-23-2023, 02:41 AM   #69
Gold Member

Thanks Jim - - I happened to be in England and picked up a 12120 and the controller. will install this winter.
Old 10-23-2023, 09:46 AM   #70
Platinum Member

Well Done. Did you do a factory pickup - or find a distributor?
Any chance you met some of their crew? They were very helpful in my decision making and organizing the shipping, etc.

You'll save some shipping and import duty for sure!

Cheers - Jim
Old 10-24-2023, 12:05 AM   #71
Gold Member

Jim - no, I didn't go to Sterling, it was a bit too far of a ride. I did contact them through email and had all my questions answered. Did save me a few $, now for the install!!