Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2024, 01:26 AM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
AFAIK the entire van flexes and twists. Ridgid panels are likely to expand and contract at a different rate than the van roof. In theory, there's a whole bunch of movement that would have to be accommodated by the mounts.

Since a hailstorm trashed all my panels anyway, my plan is to mount a roof rack using the factory roof attach points that Ford welds into the body, and switch to rigid solar panels.

Also - glue-down flexible factory panels will expand and contract at a significantly different rate than the metal roof, so the adhesive must accommodate that also.

Smart move, using the known to be secure factory roof rack mounts is by far the most secure way to go, assuming good quality hardware is used to that mounting. It should also put the panels up a bit to keep them cooler and let high speed air through so all good.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 02:10 AM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Smart move, using the known to be secure factory roof rack mounts is by far the most secure way to go, assuming good quality hardware is used to that mounting. It should also put the panels up a bit to keep them cooler and let high speed air through so all good.
Agree, the air gap is critical to keep efficiency high and keep roof cool during sunny days.

I made these solar panel mounts 10 years ago and stop thinking about it except occasional cleaning. Hein from the Sprinter Forum sells a production version of theses. https://photos.app.goo.gl/NaDXquJwAigYuTBw1
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 02:36 AM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Agree, the air gap is critical to keep efficiency high and keep roof cool during sunny days.

I made these solar panel mounts 10 years ago and stop thinking about it except occasional cleaning. Hein from the Sprinter Forum sells a production version of theses. https://photos.app.goo.gl/NaDXquJwAigYuTBw1

I assume the crossbars support the flat stock underneath the panels to support them, but are they bolted there also to hold them down? If so, how do you assemble this on the van? Or does it go up in one piece?
Old 01-21-2024, 03:08 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
I assume the crossbars support the flat stock underneath the panels to support them, but are they bolted there also to hold them down? If so, how do you assemble this on the van? Or does it go up in one piece?
All parts were assembled in situ.
1. Roof rail towers, crossbars and short flat parts under crossbars
2. Long flat parts attached to factory holes in solar panels
3. Panels assemblies to crossbars
4. Aligned an tighten.

Next time I would likely simplified this design, but I have seen a few folks copied it verbatim without anodized finish. Most of my aluminum made components I send for anodizing.
Old 01-21-2024, 05:54 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
All parts were assembled in situ.
1. Roof rail towers, crossbars and short flat parts under crossbars
2. Long flat parts attached to factory holes in solar panels
3. Panels assemblies to crossbars
4. Aligned an tighten.

Next time I would likely simplified this design, but I have seen a few folks copied it verbatim without anodized finish. Most of my aluminum made components I send for anodizing.

That certainly sounds like the logical way to assemble it, but it just doesn't look like there is room to reach under to bolt the panels to flat pieces, but maybe the pix are a bit deceiving.
Old 01-21-2024, 11:49 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
That certainly sounds like the logical way to assemble it, but it just doesn't look like there is room to reach under to bolt the panels to flat pieces, but maybe the pix are a bit deceiving.
Cearance to the roof is about 1". It was large enough to place a nut from below and with full access from the top to turn the screw the job was reasonably easy even with my large hands.
Old 01-22-2024, 12:07 AM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
Cearance to the roof is about 1". It was large enough to place a nut from below and with full access from the top to turn the screw the job was reasonably easy even with my large hands.

I must be missing the point, it appears. I see the flat bars under the panels for and aft and it appears that the panels are bolted to those bars. How do you have full access from the top with the panel there above the bar? It looks like the upper side of the bolts between the panel flange and flat bar would be impossible to get to.

Or do the long side flanges turn out from the panel so you can get them in the gap to the crossbar? The end flanges look to turn in, and our panels all the flanges turn in under the panel.
Old 01-22-2024, 02:17 AM   #48
Platinum Member

Quote:
I must be missing the point, it appears. I see the flat bars under the panels for and aft and it appears that the panels are bolted to those bars. How do you have full access from the top with the panel there above the bar? It looks like the upper side of the bolts between the panel flange and flat bar would be impossible to get to.

Or do the long side flanges turn out from the panel so you can get them in the gap to the crossbar? The end flanges look to turn in, and our panels all the flanges turn in under the panel.
The long flat bars are pre-attached and nuts tighten to solar panels before final assembly. Short flat bars are attached to the bottom of the 80/20 bars with t-nuts.

There is sufficient clearance between the panel and the crossbar to access hex screws, see the picture. Adding a nut with a finger under the short bar and threaded the hex screw was most difficult.

This writing is from my 10 years old brain folder, but I am pretty sure I got it right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZGR91028.jpg (128.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-22-2024, 07:00 PM   #49
Platinum Member

As I've been reading this, I kept thinking this was a good place to opt for using 8020 gear. Lucky guess, I guess.

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 08:06 PM   #50
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
As I've been reading this, I kept thinking this was a good place to opt for using 8020 gear. Lucky guess, I guess.

Cheers - Jim
A few folks on the Sprinter forum use 80/20 for solar panel mounting. Hein from DIY Van based on my mounting system design designed aluminum sheet metal brackets, the same concept but les expensive, for 80/20 which he sells today.

All 80/20 aluminum parts are anodized and are great for outdoor use. https://diyvan.com/collections/solar...ries-crossbars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZGR91028.JPG (190.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-21-2024, 11:21 AM   #51

Send a message via ICQ to ceoshank88 Send a message via AIM to ceoshank88 Send a message via Yahoo to ceoshank88 Send a message via Skype™ to ceoshank88

I actually used neodymium magnets to mount a flexible solar panel on my setup, similar to what you're describing. It's a fantastic way to avoid drilling holes or using adhesives, plus the rubber coating and foam weatherstripping really help protect the vehicle's paint and ensure there's enough airflow beneath the panel.

The 26lbs force per magnet was enough in my case, but I did add a few extra just for that added security, especially when driving at higher speeds or in windy conditions. It's definitely a solid method, in my experience.

If you're diving deeper into solar energy projects or looking for creative mounting solutions, I found some useful insights at https://solargenerators.to. They cover a broad range of topics on solar power that might provide additional support or ideas for your solar panel endeavor.
ceoshank88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 01:21 PM   #52
Platinum Member

I had a mechanically attached flexible solar panel that blew off in a high wind. I don't believe a magnet could have held a solar panel in that incidence. Sooner or later it will happen.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar