Old 02-04-2020, 07:55 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Headlights Roadtrek 200 P 2002 Chevy

Having just returned from a 4000 mile trip, I have uncovered a LOT of items that need attention in my 03 200 Popular (Yes, it's on a 2002 Chevy chassis).

One of which is, the headlights. I would like to replace these headlights with brighter ones. Preferably LED if available or at least brighter bulbs. I don't want to NOT use an HID system.

There appears to be 2 versions of Chevy Express headlights. Individual (separate low and high beam sealed beams) and composite, (Lo and Hi integrated in a one-piece mount, with separate bulbs). The RTs have the latter.

While staring at the vehicle in the dark, they appear to be sufficient (IE to oncoming vehicles), however they do not light the way adequately at night for driving. Note: This chassis has DRLs. They are always on when engine is running. They brighten slightly when turning the headlights on as they should. They are just not bright enough when on.

I have tried adjusting them pretty much by trial and error. Does anyone know of a proper procedure for adjusting them?

So the question remains, does anyone know of any aftermarket headlights available, or any means of brightening up my nighttime driving while still remaining legal.

Attached is a pic of my headlights,

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3512.jpg (35.5 KB, 11 views)

PJW73NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I replaced mine with aftermarket units. The fit of these was problematic. The bracketry did not match well at all. I was able to get on to fit, the other I had to disassemble the old assembly and use the old brackets on the new housing.

Another note, I have a voltage drop of 1.25 from the battery to the headlights. This is a huge drop in relation to light output. I was going to put in a relay system to get battery voltage to the headlights but was flummoxed by the differences in the wiring diagram and my actual wiring on the van. Mine is an '02 200.

I thought of putting in LED bulbs because they have a wide operating voltage range but got lost in that rat hole of different styles and results. I pretty much do not drive at night so I pretty much just blew it off.

'98 Kawasaki KLR650
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:20 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I thought of putting in LED bulbs because they have a wide operating voltage range but got lost in that rat hole of different styles and results. I pretty much do not drive at night so I pretty much just blew it off.
I have a newer model Chevy Express ('2011 chassis) with different headlight design but I agree they are poor, so I too just don't drive at night whenever possible. I realize a lot of the problem is my old eyes.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:15 PM   #4

Default Heaflights

I put these in my Ď01 Dodge Pop. Made an amazing difference! Tried the brightest Sylvania bulbs and still sucked. These LEDs are great. Plug n play. Iím sure the company makes them for Chevy. Only about $50.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D7148B3A-4F08-43C9-A5BF-9510AD841BF1.jpg (170.7 KB, 34 views)
honeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:02 PM   #5

PJW - Thanks for the post. It could have been written by me! I've had the same question for years. Did a bit of research but just ended up putting "brighter" bulbs in. They helped but not much. The lenses are in good shape, not hazed over so I know it's not that.

If you find a solution please let us know.

John
Old 02-13-2020, 08:09 PM   #6

I have a Roadtrek 02C200P. I replaced my bulbs with SYLVANIA h11 SilverStar UltraHigh Performance Halogen a couple years ago and I love the results, they ar far brighter, These are available at Wal-Mart and Amazon as well as most auto parts stores. I also use the same for my Volvo. I do not know how people see with the standard bulbs!
Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:41 PM   #7
Bronze Member

I replaced mine with aftermarket, what a mistake. My original ones, 08/09, were all scratched and looked like crap. I should have spent the extra money. Also, the fit was difficult and one of them leaked right away. (The clear caulk was bad) BTW, they both leak now, and have within 30 days.
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:44 PM   #8
Bronze Member

I meant replaced the lenses

ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlights, roadtrek 200