Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2023, 01:04 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default I added Solar to my Roadtrek (Sprinter)

I became a CPAP user in late 2022, and have found that keeping the inverter in to run it all night is cutting into my boondocking capacity. I have 235 Ampere-Hours of LA batteries. Do not plan to go lithium, as I cannot get more AH without major modification of the existing battery compartment, or sacrificing important storage spaces. Yes I do realize going to Lithium would improve performance since they can be operated to much lower state of charge. Maybe next time...

I went with a relatively simple system, a single panel, supposedly 400 watts. I have more controller than I need, Victron 100/50, in order to support more panels later. Also upsized wiring to 8 AWG to be sufficient for future increases. It is recharging from minimal use in driveway. Well have to take a trip to fully assess.

I located the panel in the middle between AC and roof vent to minimize the run distance. Since my mounts are ABS plastic I added a binding cable (8 AWG) to one roof bolt, visible on the picture.

There is something disconcerting about drilling holes in the roof!

I wanted to be able to turn the system on and off, so added a switch on my control console to a NC relay to connect the solar panel feed and the controller output. The tape label will be replaced with a permanent engraved plate.

I have a Victron Monitor so naturally the negative connects thru the shunt. The "Load" side of the shunt had too many leads piled on so I added a 6 place terminal block.

While not shown, the panel to, and feed out of the controller have over current protection of 5a and 50a respectively.

I added a picture of the electrical space (under one bench seat) in the sprinter. It is pretty full based on this, plus a prior upgrade to inverter and charger. (I have a thread on that upgrade from a couple years ago). The new inverter (silver object) is set to one side, but normally mounts on top of the transfer switches and battery charger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1118231539.jpg (165.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 1113231411_HDR.jpg (127.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 1115230945_HDR.jpg (110.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 1115230954_HDR.jpg (100.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 1113231136_HDR.jpg (115.9 KB, 36 views)
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote