Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2023, 09:06 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default I/C and Converter question

I am working on understanding the wiring system in my Class B. I have a Xantrex inverter charger, that I understand provides 120V when on battery power and, when on shore power, I can see it divert a percentage of power to charging the house battery.

But I also have a 55 Amp WFCO Power Converter that is plugged into a 120V outlet in the wiring compartment.

I am trying to understand the purpose of the WFCO converter, since I thought the Xantrex was charging the battery when under shore power.
JonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 09:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Speculation:

The Xantrax only charges when it's on shore power and turned on, so they put the WFCO in there so something will charge anytime it's on shore power?

Otherwise it makes no sense.
Old 02-11-2023, 09:47 PM   #3
Site Team

Could it be that the rig originally came with only the converter, and somebody later added the inverter/charger and decided to leave the converter in place for redundancy?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 10:04 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Thanks for the replies--it's still a mystery to me.

The Xantrex on/off just applies to the inverter function. When on shore power it just starts charging no matter what.

And the RV is a 2022 Coachmen Beyond, so it must have been planned.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:40 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMN View Post
Thanks for the replies--it's still a mystery to me.

The Xantrex on/off just applies to the inverter function. When on shore power it just starts charging no matter what.

And the RV is a 2022 Coachmen Beyond, so it must have been planned.

If it has lithium batteries, perhaps it is a way to run 12v power for heaters or the coach if the lithium is shut down for some reason and Xantrex won't start without a battery in the circuit.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 12:27 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
If it has lithium batteries, perhaps it is a way to run 12v power for heaters or the coach if the lithium is shut down for some reason and Xantrex won't start without a battery in the circuit.
Thanks for the reply! I am still on AGM, but looking into replacing my 330AH AGM with a single, heated 300AH lithium. I just want to make sure I understand the current wiring, which is a bit confusing since nothing is labeled . . .

I just sent a note to Coachmen. I'll let you know how they reply
Old 02-12-2023, 04:36 PM   #7

Same setup here: WFCO converter AND Xantrex I/C original in my AGM-equipped Coachmen Galleria. Looking forward to hearing their reply. A schematic sure would be helpful.
Thank you,
JimG
Old 02-12-2023, 09:18 PM   #8
Platinum Member

OK, mystery mostly solved. After digging around for information on my 12V based A/C unit, I found that Coachmen adds a WFCO WF-9855 to make sure that, when on shore power or generator, the battery draw does not exceed the battery charge coming in. Looks like it's on a relay that I assume kicks in with the A/C unit.

When I said mostly solved--when I tried to see where the positive lead from the WFCO was connected, I found that it was not connected at all! Contacted Coachmen already. (They are pretty fast at replying to questions.). They positive lead from the charger is in place, with a ring end, so all I need to do is find out where to connect it. My guess is the same location as the feeds for the solar are coming in--more or less a positive busbar on the coach battery side of the disconnect relay.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:59 PM   #9

Default Converter wiring

Just looked my Galleria 24A wiring. What a rat's nest - pandemic-era construction presumably!
On my rig, red wire from WFCO converter positive goes to Battery Isolation Manager (BIM 160) Batt-A post (along with two other wires) which is the chassis battery connection according to the BIM 160 documentation.
See photo (converter is at upper left). I hope this helps.

2021Galleria24A_WiringUnderDriverSideBed.jpg
Old 02-12-2023, 11:04 PM   #10
Platinum Member

^^^ Thanks SO much for the reply and the photo. This looks about like mine, and helps a huge amount. I will just hook it up when I have a chance. Your compartment looks much like mine, but with the Rear Bath I have one side for electronics and one side for plumbing. Actually reminds me of our current house. The wiring looks like a mess but has worked for 35 years. (When I wire it's in straight lines and labeled . . .)

On my "A" post I also have a couple of lines coming in, but I think these are from the solar.

On a related note, I wonder if it hurts anything to briefly test the A/C unit if it's below freezing. Just a quick "on/off" to see if the relay kicks in.

Like mine, I think they might have wired the BIM in reverse order from the current instructions. But I looked into this, and originally the BIM indicated you could be wired either way.

BTW, I see you are from Florida. We just got back from Florida--this was our first VRBO experience, and will do it again for sure. We stayed in Pensacola Beach, and walked literally for miles on the beach seeing only one or two others. It was cool, but always 50 to 70 degrees warmer than it was back in MN. We bought our van mainly for very comfortable long drives, and, as long as the road is not too rough, it really works great. Fun to pull into a rest stop and make a nice lunch rather than try to find a place to eat. And if one of us gets really tired they can lay down in the back for a while. MPG averaged 13.1, but a lot of these miles were at 70 MPH or so.
Old 02-13-2023, 12:26 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
Just looked my Galleria 24A wiring. What a rat's nest - pandemic-era construction presumably!
Mine's pre-pandemic and looked like that too.
Old 02-13-2023, 01:28 PM   #12

As long as all batteries charge properly, maintain a charge, and the alternator is happy; I won't be worrying about the configuration and connections.

Winter weather and fabulous beaches are likely still primary reasons for visiting Florida.

We began travelling by camper van due to health reasons (requiring refrigeration and an onboard oxygen concentrator) but the ability to cook, rest, or use a bathroom is a welcome bonus.
Old 02-22-2023, 08:08 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Our 2020 24A Galleria was a non-lithium unit. It originally had a Xantrex 2000 watt inverter/charger. The charging ability of the Xantrex is 80 amps. There was also a WFCO 55 amp converter wired in. The combination provided 135 amps of battery charging. I'm guessing it was cheaper to use those 2 components in tandem than installing one Xantrex 3000 watt inverter/charger that charges at 150 amps.

Shortly after buying our Galleria I rebuilt the entire coach battery and charging system. I replaced the 2000 watt Xantrex and the WFCO converter with a Xantrex 3000 watt inverter/charger.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:08 PM   #14
Platinum Member

^^^ Thanks for the info. Wow, sounds like quite a project! I was playing around a little just to see how things work, and it's set up so that the WFCO only kicks in when there is demand from the 12V Air Conditioning unit. I guess this way, when on shore power, you still keep charging even if the A/C unit is drawing from the house battery.

I am thinking of a less ambitious rewiring, perhaps replacing the 330AH AGM with a 300AH lithium, and replacing the BIM-160 with some brand of DC-DC charger.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:48 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMN View Post
^^^ Thanks for the info. Wow, sounds like quite a project! I was playing around a little just to see how things work, and it's set up so that the WFCO only kicks in when there is demand from the 12V Air Conditioning unit. I guess this way, when on shore power, you still keep charging even if the A/C unit is drawing from the house battery.

I am thinking of a less ambitious rewiring, perhaps replacing the 330AH AGM with a 300AH lithium, and replacing the BIM-160 with some brand of DC-DC charger.
I ordered our Galleria with the 12 volt air conditioner, and I think the following applies:

I have the Coachmen factory wiring diagrams. Based on my now 3 year old wiring diagrams, when a non-lithium Galleria was ordered with the 12 volt air conditioner, the charging system with the 2000 watt 80 amp Xantrex inverter/charger was upgraded to include the WFCO converter's additional 55 amp charging.