Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2019, 12:15 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Life after RoadTrek: Ecotrek, rebuild Ecotrek module, or DIY?

Hey everyone.

I had one of my lithium Ecotrek modules die in my 2018 Zion, and just got a diagnosis today. The shop I went to has a Ecotrek specific battery tester. They wouldn't tell me the exact failure mechanism It will be $7,000 dollars to replace both my modules. They can't replace one because module Rev H isn't compatible with Rev G.

Anyway, this question is for those folks who know how to design off-grid power systems. I'm educated in these systems, and looking if anyone has dissected the EcoTrek module to see what we got inside? If anyone has cracked open that red "warranty void" sticker, please let me know if you can share photos.

I'm probably going to crack mine open next week. My options are:
A) remove the EcoTrek modules and go full DIY ~$4,000 OR
B) pay $7,000 (includes 3 year KS2 warranty) OR
C) remove the EcoTrek modules, extract the cells, and build a new module with battery heaters, cell balancer, custom BMS..... ~1,000$

I'm leaning towards C) and looking for anyone whom has possibly attempted the same given the horrible situation with RoadTrek / Erwin Hymer. Obviously I'll have to re-program the Balmar, solar controller, and maybe the inverter/charger after a complete re-design.

Please let me know if you have cracked open an Ecotrek module Rev G or lower. I want pics to make my process safe and efficient as possible.

Also, I have an almost complete schematic of the entire house electrical system on my 2018 Zion SRT that I'd be willing to post when completely finished. I just have to stick my endoscope a few more places to get that done. I know this information would be like GOLD on this forum.

If any fellow electrical engineers wants to talk battery management, also please hit me up.