Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2019, 11:03 PM   #1
Platinum Member

If there is a lead acid battery in the mix (chassis bat?) maintained by the same solar panels then it would be easy enough to disconnect / reconnect the lithiums from solar charging when just above 32F. A DC thermostat control plus a no or very low current rated at the appropriate continuous duty rating relay/solenoid/etc. would do it automatically. My thinking is that as long as a lead acid battery stays connected to the solar array it would be ok. Booster or Avanti or others here could comment on this if they think there would be a problem (surge). The 24V system might make that difficult if not impossible to source the parts though (maybe use the chassis battery to power the parts?). The parts are readily available on Amazon for 12V. I looked into this while planning a hybrid LFP/lead acid setup. This would give greater temperature headroom extending down to -4F for an RV in storage. I'm assuming that there's already a way to take the LFP batteries offline from other charging sources if say starting the engine when the LFP's are below 32F.

After that layer of fail safe protection, thermostatically controlled DC heating pads under insulation seems to be the best way to go.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Can you store the batteries in your house?

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote