Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2023, 09:33 PM   #1

Default Onan QG 2800i Safety Recall - DIY?

Hello. I was notified a few weeks ago that my generator is subject to a safety recall. "The Onan generator fuel hose between the inline fuel filter and the Injection Pump Module (IPM) may have inadequate clamp force, possibly resulting in a gasoline leak." Onan is authorizing 1.7 hours for the repair.

Safety Recall: NHTSA #23V-325, Cummins 23E-030, June 2023.

Using the link in the recall notice, I can't find anyone within 100 miles to make the repair. Either too small a job or won't even attempt.

I contacted Onan, let them know I'm handy, and asked for the repair instructions so that I could make the repair myself. I received a two-liner back that said only authorized service technicians can make the repair. They sent me a link to a different facility locator. Nearest is just over 100 miles away.

Anyone have instructions on how to make this repair? I've watched a video where a technician replaced a fuel pump, and from what I gather, the connection that is loose is between the in-line fuel filter and the fuel pump. There isn't a clamp as the pump screws into the fuel filter, so I'm wondering if this isn't the issue because Onan refers to "clamp force".

Is the "fuel hose between the inline fuel filter and the Injection Pump Module (IPM)" the same as the connection from the fuel filter and fuel pump? Is the Injection Pump Module not the same as a fuel pump?

Any and all advice appreciated. Thank you!
birdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 10:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

typical fuel pressure on an injected motor is 50 psi.

a user on another forum had the recall done and on 2nd start had a gasoline sprinkler under the van.

for reasons of liability and legal recourse should your van burn down- I encourage you to have the recall done by onan.

If you have trouble contact NHTSA who ordered the recall.

The NHTSA report is real comedy- at a new product release/ RV show in January the Onans were shooting gasoline everywhere... Pleasure Way informed Onan on the spot...

Onan continued to ship the faulty gennys for another 3 weeks.
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 10:41 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Yep, the liability issue is the big issue, either if you don't do the recall with Onan so it documented and if they found out you did the repair yourself.

I hundred mile drive is cheap a compared those issues, I fear, if something should happen and if like the owner Mike mentioned it certainly could even with Onan doing it.

The may have two fuel pumps. One to get the fuel from the inlet and second to the injector.

Depending on if it is throttle body or port injection, the pressure in the line will change It think. Throttle body injectors in street vehicles typically run in the 15psi range and port injection closer to 50 as Mike said.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 12:14 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I got the letter too. Found a video with a bit of a description. It's just a short length of hose that might need to be replaced. Supposedly if hose has green printing it is current. White printing would trigger replacement,

JonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 12:25 AM   #5
Platinum Member

PS: I think this is the part
Old 08-31-2023, 12:32 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Do you happen to have the rest of parts identifier list? I think it would be interesting.
Old 08-31-2023, 12:51 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Here is the parts list that I took the image from. It's a PDF, so I think I need to just supply a link: HGLAA PARTS

My take on the recall is that the hose clamps might not be on tight enough. Looks like these clamps need hose clamp pliers to remove. I would be inclined to take them off and replace with stainless hose clamps, the type that tighten with a screwdriver.

[Funny story. After hitting a VERY big bump on the freeway, I discovered a couple broken brackets. Not the motor mounts for the system, but a couple brackets that were supposed to kick in if needed. Ironically, these were called the "Failsafe Brackets" I used the PDF above to find the parts numbers, went to Onan, and found that they don't sell the brackets--they are listed as obsolete. Days and several phone calls later I talked to someone who told me of course they still make these--the current generators all use them and they are selling them as fast as they can make them!

It was under warranty, so they said they could try to get the brackets and fix it. They wanted to have the van for several days to diagnose the problem--even though I had photos of the broken brackets and even the parts numbers. Rather than put up with this, I bought some aluminum angle iron, a M6 tap/drill set, and made my own. Easy and actually kind of fun repair, and a good excuse to finally buy a new drill press. My Onan was installed with enough cable and fuel line that I could drop it enough to raise the cover without disconnecting anything.]
Old 08-31-2023, 04:09 PM   #8
Platinum Member

It does have two pumps. A fuel pump and an injector pump. I am used to seeing those terms for diesels. It may be just a simple plunger pump for a single cylinder.
Old 09-07-2023, 03:50 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Drive the 100 miles.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 03:25 PM   #10
Gold Member

The saga of my DIY replacement of the Old KV in the 02C190P continues. After finally getting the 2.8 HGLAA installed and connected the Gen started instantly. Had a problem with the 120VAC output but that got sorted by multiple flipping of the breaker with a wireless ac voltage detector on the harness. I either did not get it initially correct, or the breaker finally started making contact, all the while the Gen started and ran perfectly. In addition, all the electronics in the RT tested and worked perfectly. Ran the Gen for breakin for an hour ,gave it a rest and then another hour or so and then it stopped on its' own. It gave a code 36 which is a mechanical fuel issue so I immediately suspected the splice in the fuel hose from a previous service from the tank connecting the old hose SAE30r7 and the new 4ft section SAE30r14-T2. It was by happen chance that I noticed the short 90 degree Gen hose, that is referenced in this Post of the recall between the fuel filter and the injector pump. had a flattened kink in the bend. I did call Cummins as they are 250 miles away and got the ok to use a small vice grip on the kink. I did so ever so gently and the Gen started and ran again. I have an appointment with a Cummins Tech to replace the hose under warranty. Like BirdGS, I think I could easily change out the hose, liability issues aside, as there is no part number for this hose and no spec available from Cummins despite the courteous and helpful Cummins part researcher I spoke with. My 2.8 is post recall according to the serial number but I bet that this post recall hose is going to cause issues for others. I have some SAE30r14-T2 Hose left over from the installation. Following a hack to make a molded 90 on a fuel hose, I have seen on the internet, I got a piece of 12awg electric wire, put it into a short section of the hose, that had a coiled memory in it, bent the hose with the wire to hold the bend past 90 degrees, soaked it in hot water for 15 minutes then dunked it into cold water. I now have a hose that probably will not kink in my lifetime and will not degrade to the ethanol gas but I'm not certain about the size, spec, hose clamps, safety and liability. I have a full service parts kit ordered (A063P557) that has the fuel filter and clamp (053-2309) in the kit. That will certainly help with the inside diameter size of the hose and of the hose clamp. There is a great FB group for Onan Gens that has been helpful. I'm hoping to get some definitive answer to the Gen fuel line connection at the gas tank as I know that the old brittle SAE30r7 needs to be replaced. One comment on the issues of the old KV Gen on the FB Onan Group page was to tag it the Cummins OHno Gen. That isn't far from the hitting the nail on the head with the new improved 2.8HGLAA. "Don't care whose last supper this is, no ID, no wine" or no whining
Floorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan safety recall 2800i