Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-15-2023, 04:33 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Questions about AGM -> LFP

This is just theoretical at the moment. I think.

So I have been thinking about replacing the two 100 Ah Group 31 AGM batteries in my Thor Rize with a single 100 Ah LiFePO4 battery. Mostly to save weight - if my calcs are correct it would drop from ~150lbs to ~28lbs.

Couple of pre-qualifications to start this off -
  • Temps <32F rarely happen around here, and most likely I will not be camping then. If I do, I can take a separate Power Station inside and run things from there.
  • My energy requirements are very humble (therefore the reduction in Ah)
  • Where I go it is usually sunny enough for solar panels to do their thing
  • We usually don't have a way to plug in (boondocking, dispersed camping)

My thought is NOT to charge the battery from the alternator. So the whole DC-DC and alternator current stuff should be a non-issue. Mostly, I want to charge it from solar, and if needed (expected to be very rarely) via the generator, or even less frequent, via hook-up.

I have been playing with a 100Ah Power Station and without recharging, it allows me to run the fridge and everything else needed (lights, water pump, propane solenoid, roof fan or Truma) for around 3 nights. However, via solar it will fully re-charge during the day. If staying in a shady place for extended periods I would have to run the generator to recharge after two days or so.

Questions...
  1. Does this somewhat make sense, considering the specifics mentioned above?
  2. Will not charging with the alternator simplify the installation - just need to disconnect/disable whatever charges the batteries during driving?
  3. Solar should work by choosing the correct profile - right?
  4. I would need to see if/how the converter handles lithium charging. I understand it may not perfectly fill up the battery, but maybe that doesn't matter as long as the solar panel fully charges the LFP?
  5. Are there any other electronics/electrics that would be affected by a switch like this?

This seems all a bit too simple (besides the physical switcheroo) that I conclude I am missing a few things completely. One thing is that right now, the chassis and house batteries are somehow synchronized, not sure exactly how. I guess I would interrupt that connection and would need to keep an extra eye on the chassis battery.