Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2020, 09:40 PM   #41
Platinum Member

I have been around ours when we were charging at 180 amps through it (500 amp shunt) and it did get warm, but not so hot you couldn't touch it. I wonder how warm it would have to get to be an issue, and what the issue would be (accuracy?).
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:50 AM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimura View Post
The BMV-700H comes with a shunt box so I'm now wondering if power dissipation is really a problem at all. I know the shunt could dissipate up to 25W but maybe all the heat will dissipate in the cables? Copper has a high thermal conductivity.

Hope you are still on the Forum. Did you install your Victron monitor? If yes, where did you place the shunt?
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:26 AM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimura View Post
The BMV-700H comes with a shunt box so I'm now wondering if power dissipation is really a problem at all. I know the shunt could dissipate up to 25W but maybe all the heat will dissipate in the cables? Copper has a high thermal conductivity.

I would opine that the shunt box is for use in any possible wet location, not as a heat shield. It also would prevent accidental shorting across the shunt. My installation is inside and well protected and my victron did not come with the box.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:10 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engnrsrule View Post
I would opine that the shunt box is for use in any possible wet location, not as a heat shield. It also would prevent accidental shorting across the shunt. My installation is inside and well protected and my victron did not come with the box.
Thanks, inside is preferred. It would also be nice to get feedback from someone who has installed the external shunt box.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote