Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2023, 08:20 PM   #1

Default Chat GPT for route planning

Has anyone else tried this. I've asked it for a few plans and I'm not sure they make sense?
jwestdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 08:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwestdog View Post
Has anyone else tried this. I've asked it for a few plans and I'm not sure they make sense?
Meh.

It will give you a route that will probably get you to where you want to go, but likely not a very good one. I tried a route from Pittsburgh to Santa Fe. Route was generally ok, but it has me travel 1.25 hours in the wrong direction to get on the PA Turnpike somewhere East of New Stanton. It also suggested that I take 4 days for the drive, driving almost 10 hours to St Louis on the first day, but less than four hours on the third day, from Oklahoma City to Amarillo. Pretty random.

It is slightly more interesting if you ask for specific points of interest or other constraints. I did the same trip, but specified that I wanted to camp in State Parks. It mostly did OK, but had me spend the first night camping at Cuyahoga Valley National Park, which does not have camping. You just cannot yet rely on these programs to get basic facts correct.

Bottom line: Sort of fun, but not ready for prime time.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 04:42 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Hi... I'm a bit of an expert on both ChatGPT / Generative AI and navigation - basically this has been my career since the 1980s.
In a nutshell, you absolutely do not want to use ChatGPT for this sort of thing. And, to confirm my beliefs, I tried it and ChatGPT even warns you against using it.
The instructions will be wrong in the same way that if you listened to people talking about traveling from point A to point B and tried to make sense of it, you'd get the wrong answer. It might sound (and be) reasonable, but in the end it won't be precise.
Proper navigation requires a specialized planar graph, road impedances & speeds, address to coordinate matching, and most importantly, up to date information about the roads.
Will AI be able to do this in the future? Absolutely, but don't use AI for this yet - you'll end up extremely frustrated.
VTPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 07:09 PM   #4

Ouch - glad I read the last post. I thought what a good idea when I read the post title
sysimms is offline   Reply With Quote