Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2023, 02:43 PM   #1

Default Zion SRT ac outlets not working with shore power connection

2018 roadtrek zion srt. Van had front end damage repaired. When got back home plugged in shore power from house 15amp adapter through 30 amp cable. Have used before without issue. Red light on rv end of power cord on indicating cable has power. Now not getting power to ac outlets, nor microwave. People have said likely gfci tripped. I can not find location of gfci reset. The 120v breaker above driver was not tripped- tried turning it off and on. Breaker will not reset with shore power plugged in. It did reset when turned invertor on. And with invertor the microwave works. 1) does anyone know where gfci reset is on this model and 2) any other ideas to fix allowing shore power to power coach.
MMnJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 03:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Do you have a transfer box which could be inside your inverter. Try turning it on.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 03:14 PM   #3

Not sure what transfer box is. Invertor is in compartment on floor. Roadtrek video said leave it off so invertor controlled by overhead control panel only. Will try turning it on but think it will just turn on invertor all the time and I know things work when using invertor Thanks.
Old 07-03-2023, 03:20 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Transfer box switches between power sources, like shore or inverter. Some inverters have one built in so to activate it inverter needs power.
Old 07-03-2023, 03:24 PM   #5
Platinum Member

If all the 110v AC outlets work on the inverter, it pretty much can't be a tripped GFCI at an outlet because the 110v is going through it when on inverter.

GeorgeRa's idea of finding the automatic transfer switch would likely be the problem if all the outlets do work off the inverter.

Do the batteries charge when on shore power?
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 08:28 PM   #6

Thanks all. Not sure batteries are charging with shore power. I suppose transfer switch is issue but in compartment where inverter located it is only inverter ( at least only visible). Historically once I plugged in shore power all ac, tv, microwave, ac, etc. would work without need to turn on inverter Now seems I need to have inverter on even if plugged in to shore power. Took to campground to investigate further. Also made appt to return to Camping World who did recent repairs - hoping they can locate and reset or repair the transfer switch. Oddly I watched an on line video that said to turn on inverter with shore power hooked up in order to get 120vac outlets to work but I never had to do that in past - guess some are wired different than others. Will post results of Thursdays trip to mechanic
Thanks again for input.
Old 07-04-2023, 03:35 AM   #7
Platinum Member

All Roadtreks on the Promaster require the inverter to be on in order to charge or use 110v. So, it has been since 2015 up to today.

If the receptacle in your home is a GFCI, it will kick you off. Find a receptacle in your home that is not GFCI. Turn everything off in the van... turn on the battery disconnect... turn on the inverter (on the remote switch... never with the switch on the inverter) and then plug in. This has been the instructions since 2015.

The GFI reset in the van is very difficult to reset. The switch must be turned on and off... sometimes two or three times... and it is a real finger breaker to do so.

BTW... I have never heard anyone over on the Zion FB page mention issues with an "automatic transfer switch." I don't even know what that is. lol
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 04:50 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
All Roadtreks on the Promaster require the inverter to be on in order to charge or use 110v. So, it has been since 2015 up to today.

If the receptacle in your home is a GFCI, it will kick you off. Find a receptacle in your home that is not GFCI. Turn everything off in the van... turn on the battery disconnect... turn on the inverter (on the remote switch... never with the switch on the inverter) and then plug in. This has been the instructions since 2015.

The GFI reset in the van is very difficult to reset. The switch must be turned on and off... sometimes two or three times... and it is a real finger breaker to do so.

BTW... I have never heard anyone over on the Zion FB page mention issues with an "automatic transfer switch." I don't even know what that is. lol
If inverter needs to be on that means automatic transfer switch (ATS) is inside the inverter. ATS senses incoming AC power, if shore AC power is present, it switches inverter outputs to shore AC, if there is no shore it switches back to the inverter.

ATS devices we commonly use with generators as a separate component, work similarly - with shore present outputs were switched to shore power and without shore power back to the generator.

Most quality inverters have these ATS devices built in, hence invisible.
Old 07-04-2023, 12:48 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Thanks... that makes sense. So perhaps that is what fails when one's inverter fails. And we owners tend to never know why.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 07-09-2023, 05:16 PM   #10

Well not sure if was just glitch in matrix or what but all working now. Went to campsite and ran ac off invertor and batteries - took bench cover off top to expose top of invertor - pressed two display buttons and then pressed confirm button on invertor - also flipped gfci circuit breaker above driver seat - was plugged in to 30 amp circuit at campsite - all then worked as it should - not certain but maybe that all reset inverter - not going to argue with luck just glad back to normal
Old 07-09-2023, 09:02 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Probably the GFI in the cab finally reset. It can take 2 or 3 hard on/offs. Make sure that your inverter switch on the inverter is OFF, so that you only use the remote switch.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme