Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-01-2024, 11:24 PM   #1
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: CA
Posts: 21
Default Future Class B owner

We are looking into buying a ~20' camper van. It seems like the number of questions, options, etc. is a bit overwhelming. Based on limited research thus far, figuring we will get something a couple years old ish, with a rear toilet/option of showering outside. I've looked at floor plans for several manufacturers, so if we stick with the above notional floor layout the number of models is reduced a fair amount.

I likely need to start listing models and features of each (cost, mpg, warranty if any remaining based on age, other???) to begin to narrow the field. I peaked around here a bit and see the posts by marcopolo, which have some value. Would love some sort of step by step approach to evaluating new vs used, manufacture reliability, lithium vs lead, things I haven't thought of, etc.
sbslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 12:57 AM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 932
Default

If you consider one on the Promaster Van, check out this video. We respect the presenter so much that we drove more than 2,000 miles RT to have him do some repair work on our van.

https://www.promasterforum.com/threa...7/#post-794204
__________________
2014 Promaster 136" Self-Build

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 05:23 PM   #3
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: CA
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
If you consider one on the Promaster Van, check out this video. We respect the presenter so much that we drove more than 2,000 miles RT to have him do some repair work on our van.

https://www.promasterforum.com/threa...7/#post-794204
Thanks, that's an informative video.
sbslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 04:37 PM   #4
Platinum Member
 
engnrsrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: VA
Posts: 321
Default

We decided on a class B, we had diesel sprinter top of wish list. we had notions about floor plans etc, but realized finding the right deal in a used one really over rode floor plan concerns.

BTW 2006 was before DEF.

Very pleased with the one we found. It was 12 years old when we bought it. 2006 Roadtrek Adventurous. Been 5 years and over 50k miles, including a 46 day cross-country and Canada trip last summer. Also pull a Jeep Cherokee TOAD with it.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 04:38 PM   #5
Platinum Member
 
Hatteras Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: PA now; Cape Hatteras for 20 years previously
Posts: 132
Default

Avoid diesel sprinters like the plague that they are. Too many issues with the SCR (system that cleans the emissions with def fluid) that could leave you sit. If you want to google something, try "Sprinter 10 starts left". There was a class action lawsuit and original owners received up to $3800 settlement. Part of that settlement was an overhaul of the current system with all new parts. One year later, mine broke again for the 7th time (in 2022). Mine is a 2013. Stick with gas on anything that you buy, IMO. Welcome.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 05:26 PM   #6
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Location: CA
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbslider View Post
We are looking into buying a ~20' camper van. It seems like the number of questions, options, etc. is a bit overwhelming. Based on limited research thus far, figuring we will get something a couple years old ish, with a rear toilet/option of showering outside. I've looked at floor plans for several manufacturers, so if we stick with the above notional floor layout the number of models is reduced a fair amount.

I likely need to start listing models and features of each (cost, mpg, warranty if any remaining based on age, other???) to begin to narrow the field. I peaked around here a bit and see the posts by marcopolo, which have some value. Would love some sort of step by step approach to evaluating new vs used, manufacture reliability, lithium vs lead, things I haven't thought of, etc.
The most important thing to consider is your own preferences - there are a lot of choices out there, and not everybody shares the same priorities. What's important to you and your family? For some, having a shower is a waste of space. For us it is a necessity. How handy are you? My point is that everybody is different.
ponstad611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 06:28 PM   #7
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: maine
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbslider View Post
We are looking into buying a ~20' camper van. It seems like the number of questions, options, etc. is a bit overwhelming. Based on limited research thus far, figuring we will get something a couple years old ish, with a rear toilet/option of showering outside. I've looked at floor plans for several manufacturers, so if we stick with the above notional floor layout the number of models is reduced a fair amount.

I likely need to start listing models and features of each (cost, mpg, warranty if any remaining based on age, other???) to begin to narrow the field. I peaked around here a bit and see the posts by marcopolo, which have some value. Would love some sort of step by step approach to evaluating new vs used, manufacture reliability, lithium vs lead, things I haven't thought of, etc.
Buy used and well cared for
is not worth the money
There is no perfect floor plan
We have a 20 footer Just enjoy
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 06:52 PM   #8
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: NH
Posts: 52
Default

As others have said, there are no perfect layouts or vans. Everything is a compromise, sit down with your partner and list your wants and then prioritize them. There are numerous YouTube vids doing walk arounds and evals of various campers spend time watching those. If you can rent a camper that you think that you'd like or something with a similar layout. The funny thing is, stuff that seems like it is gotta have, often isn't when you've lived with the van for a time. Good luck.
Sleeping Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 09:09 PM   #9
Platinum Member
 
GeorgeRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatteras Jim View Post
Avoid diesel sprinters like the plague that they are. Too many issues with the SCR (system that cleans the emissions with def fluid) that could leave you sit. If you want to google something, try "Sprinter 10 starts left". There was a class action lawsuit and original owners received up to $3800 settlement. Part of that settlement was an overhaul of the current system with all new parts. One year later, mine broke again for the 7th time (in 2022). Mine is a 2013. Stick with gas on anything that you buy, IMO. Welcome.
I assume it was covered under recall based exttended warranty. What happen this time?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 09:27 PM   #10
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Washington
Posts: 254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Dog View Post
The funny thing is, stuff that seems like it is gotta have, often isn't when you've lived with the van for a time. Good luck.
Completely true. Problem with making a priorities list is, once you have some experience, your list might be completely different. Our current van is great - we will never sell it. It's completely different from our first van! Point being, one has to go though the learning process, and it's not possible to do that looking at brochures and making lists.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 09:36 PM   #11
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 11,994
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Dog View Post
As others have said, there are no perfect layouts or vans. Everything is a compromise, sit down with your partner and list your wants and then prioritize them. There are numerous YouTube vids doing walk arounds and evals of various campers spend time watching those. If you can rent a camper that you think that you'd like or something with a similar layout. The funny thing is, stuff that seems like it is gotta have, often isn't when you've lived with the van for a time. Good luck.

And of course the opposite is also true. We have also found what you mention about what we thought was important, that wasn't, but we also have found the stuff we thought wasn't important turned into things we now would not give up for anything.


We have deincorporated on incorporated a lot of stuff into the same van and as others have said, never found anything we liked better.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 12:03 AM   #12
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: CA
Posts: 21
Default

This post found its way back to life today! Thanks for all the replies, it seems like there's plenty to ponder here . . . .
sbslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 03:28 AM   #13
Platinum Member
 
Dogman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbslider View Post
We are looking into buying a ~20' camper van. It seems like the number of questions, options, etc. is a bit overwhelming. Based on limited research thus far, figuring we will get something a couple years old ish, with a rear toilet/option of showering outside. I've looked at floor plans for several manufacturers, so if we stick with the above notional floor layout the number of models is reduced a fair amount.

I likely need to start listing models and features of each (cost, mpg, warranty if any remaining based on age, other???) to begin to narrow the field. I peaked around here a bit and see the posts by marcopolo, which have some value. Would love some sort of step by step approach to evaluating new vs used, manufacture reliability, lithium vs lead, things I haven't thought of, etc.
Welcome to the forum. Think you will enjoy whatever you find. As for RV Class B baths, you will find they are WET BATH, meaning everything in in the bathroom when you shower. I don't sell them. As for a rear bath, you may change your mind, but check out the CoachmenRV.com as they have one or two with a rear bath. RAM, Ford and Mercades-Bens. Now SunshinestateRVS.com has all kinds of Class Bs new and used and will deliver anywhere in the USA. Good Luck... in you searching.
__________________
2021 Mercedes-Benz 3500XD, Galleria, Li3
2005 Winnebago Tour, Cummins ISL 8.9L 450HP turbocharged
2003 Forest River, Reflections, Freightliner Chassis
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 02:29 PM   #14
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: CA
Posts: 21
Default

I would say the Nova RB would be in the consideration, thanks!
sbslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 03:00 AM   #15
Platinum Member
 
Dogman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 260
Default

Coachmen Class B has three models a Mercedes Benz but no rear bath. However, the Nova RAM and Beyond by Ford both have rear wet baths. Here are the two links.

https://coachmenrv.com/beyond 22RB
https://coachmenrv.com/nova 20RB

Good Luck, on your quest to find the right Class B.
__________________
2021 Mercedes-Benz 3500XD, Galleria, Li3
2005 Winnebago Tour, Cummins ISL 8.9L 450HP turbocharged
2003 Forest River, Reflections, Freightliner Chassis
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:51 AM   #16
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: LA, Ca
Posts: 38
Default

Ram Promster has good gas mileage, good turn rad, 9 speed trans, front wheel drive, lower cost, lower step up. It was easy pick for me. Once I had the Van, then it was the right floor plan. I am tall and like the open floor plans, so Thor 20L/2LB was the only pick for me.
Dave-DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 02:41 AM   #17
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: CA
Posts: 21
Default

We pulled the trigger today on a 2006 Roadtrek 190 Popular. Some follow up questions in another post.
sbslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.