Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2024, 05:18 PM   #1

Default Hello on the hunt

Iam on the hunt for a class B. Looking to hit the road after retirement this year.
Questions?
Anyone have a Vancraft van? Are they a reputable brand?
And
How do you insure a van camper?
Thank you
Matt
Bikegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:11 PM   #2
Platinum Member

There are 100's of different makes and models out there, both used and new. You will have to do a lot of homework to sort it all out. Even then, with no experience, one's first choice usually ends up being a costly "learning experience". There's no way around it.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 11:33 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Rent a van/classb first. There are a companies that do that.
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 11:41 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Then, when you have an idea of what you want (after a rental), and you have sourced an option - hire a (certified) 3rd party to do a "survey." Worth the investment. Best of luck!

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 02:37 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperml View Post
Rent a van/classb first. There are a companies that do that.
That sounds sensible, but the problem is one trip out isn't going to do it. It takes dozens of trips to figure out what you want. Plus one can't rent 10 different vans in order to see which one is "best" - it isn't practical.
Old 02-11-2024, 03:53 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Yes it is. Most people have an idea of the van/classb they are interested in. Most have it down to a few. They can easily rent the 1 or 2 they are most interested in. Also, it is reasonable during the time they rent they will definitely get some kind of feel for it. The only way this is not a practical way is for those people who never can make their mind up.
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 04:42 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes it is. Most people have an idea of the van/classb they are interested in. Most have it down to a few. They can easily rent the 1 or 2 they are most interested in. Also, it is reasonable during the time they rent they will definitely get some kind of feel for it. The only way this is not a practical way is for those people who never can make their mind up.

When we bought there were very few if any rentals I could find anywhere near home, so we did decide to wing it.

We started out looking for used on low end of price in case we didn't like the lifestyle and could bail out without major loss. It just didn't work out that way, though.

We had thoroughly looked at all the brands so knew what we thought we wanted and did stumble across a new one at a price that was very low.

We got it in late October in Minnesota and lucked out and got a nice warm weekend the week we brought it home. We went out totally without experience or driveway practice for a one nighter at state park. It was like a comedy, but we knew very easily that lifestyle would suit us well and that van we chose had the right floorplan and drove fine. We learned very quickly just how much we had to learn and some minor stuff we wanted to to make stuff more convenient and was not brand specific.

We have had that van for over 15 years now and still don't see anything we like better. So it can be done even without renting if you are careful, and maybe a little lucky.

Renting, of course, IMO could tell you plenty about the whole thing and if you are suited to class be traveling as some folks aren't from what we see around us. You will quickly notice if the floorplan works for you. Most of the rest of the stuff is just learning how to do it in a way that fits your style. We certainly found out over time, and still are, things to tweak to make it all even better but van choice wouldn't have changed any of that.

Spend lots of time in the vans you think you want, not at shows where it is a quick in & out, but at the dealers so you can close the doors and absorb whats around you. Imagine watching TV, cooking, sleeping prep and teardown, and all the other things you do in daily life on the road. Then do rentals of your top choice or choices to decide for certain.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:43 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Most people have an idea of the van/classb they are interested in. Most have it down to a few.
Yes that's what I thought too. Having gone through this experience myself, I thought I was smart and knew what I was doing. But after gaining a good deal of actual "in the field" experience, I would never want the first van I picked out again. As with everything else in life, it's experience, not education, that teaches one the most.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:42 PM   #9
Bronze Member

I have a 2014 Roadtrek CS that might be available, but I'm in VA and you're in CA. Low mileage (48K), so it's clear to us that we don't use it enough to justify the expense. PM me if interested.
MarCorpsMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 09:51 PM   #10

Default Available for sale

I have a 2007 Dodge/Mercedes 2500 Sprinter van out fitted by Sportsmobile. I will be listing it for sale after this weekend on almost all the classified websites (including here). It’s a 170 wheelbase and high top. I am located in the east bay in the San Francisco Bay Area.
alaimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 12:51 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikegeek View Post
Iam on the hunt for a class B. Looking to hit the road after retirement this year.
Questions?
Anyone have a Vancraft van? Are they a reputable brand?
And
How do you insure a van camper?
Thank you
Matt
First, welcome to Class B Forum!

My first question in your search for the one Class B, that works for you?
I'm not the VAN, expert. I'm just a Class B owner and I recall why the wife and me went into class Bs as we stepped out of our third- Model Class A. We degust our likes and dis-likes with each other. If you want to own your own getaway RV Park space/lot, then Class A would be the way to go. We're no longer into getting away for two weeks. We're both fully retired and follow our college sports teams around the country and most of the time stay in a hotel. Even visiting our grandchildren "8" we stay in a hotel and rent a car while visiting.

We wanted a van that we could park in more places than say a class C. Class B worked for us as to size. Turning the living room into a bedroom was a great feature idea for one- or two-night stays. The VAN floor plain had to work for us as it will for you. Then understanding the WET BATH and working with its limitations' "side" being one, toilet being the other. We had walked through 25 to 30 vans. before we found out 170-WB Coachmen Galleria with the lithium package. YES, it's a bit higher end. I stand at 6' 2" bed, shower, hallway and driving the Mercedes-Benz all worked. The wife and sometimes do cook inside the van.

What you should do is look around and find what works best for you. Fit the bed, Parking, Sleeping, Cleaning, keeping the inside picked up and squared away. There is no washer and dryer in a class B that I'm aware of as of today. We do not trailer anything as some like ART work, to events as some friends do or go to NASACAR.

To best help you, what do you really want to do with a class B, that would make it work for you. If it costs you can buy Class A or C that cost less than many class B. This is why they are now seen more on Class A Dealers Lot.

Good Luck!
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote