Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2024, 06:33 PM   #1

Default Insuring a class B

Looking at getting into the class B game.
Advice on insuring these vehicles?
Thank you
Bikegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 02:39 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikegeek View Post
Thank you

Welcome to the Class B Forum.

Insurance for a Class B, is no longer a NEW thing. Something you do want to let your RV Insurance agent know has to do with the(vehicle part) VAN and its safety features. Ask your Agent what is important to them to help you save cost.

Start with a call to RV insurance agents and shop around, asking what would they like to know and look for that would help you with an RV VAN. At some point it will all come together. But never drive off the dealers lot without an Insurance Policy in place. If your really asking about cost ofRV Insurance for a Class B. I'm thinking in this day and age your going to be looking at between $1000. to $2000. dollars per year and maybe closer to $1800 dollars per year. This is just off the top of my head and remember to ask RV insurance carriers before you buy your new Camper VAN. WOW I just checked your State being California, you may want to make that times three, and this is not a political... joke as I know CA cost on about everything is VERY HIGH. Sorry just the way it appears to me. Good Luck.

Then when you leave home and head out into your outdoor adventures you will have peace of mind knowing if something happens your insurance has you covered.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 02:01 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
WOW I just checked your State being California, you may want to make that times three, and this is not a political... joke as I know CA cost on about everything is VERY HIGH. Sorry just the way it appears to me. Good Luck.
Not sure about your particular circumstances, but I pay a little under $500 for a year with Progressive, which seems very reasonable for an $85k vehicle. That's in California.
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 11:40 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
Not sure about your particular circumstances, but I pay a little under $500 for a year with Progressive, which seems very reasonable for an $85k vehicle. That's in California.
Yup, that is the funny thing about any insurance. The replacement cost for a 200K may be a little more and he was referring to a NEW Class B. Insurance is not my line of work, but I will never leave the driveway without knowing I have coverage. I do recall they took off a lot for my Mercedes Benz cargo Van safety equipment. But then I also have a lot of other junk in the plain. I'm not in the business just trying to help him. Also, here in Florida we have a lot of storms, California what Earthquakes. Fires, who knows they may soon write a insurance plain, for shake and bake. lol
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 04:11 PM   #5
Silver Member

To the commenter from California with the annual insurance bill around $500-

Very helpful, thank you!

I also see lots of recommendations to change insurance carriers every couple of years. Do you recommend that strategy to keep insurance costs down?
JeanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 04:29 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you
Yes, find a super clean and well kept used vehicle that isn't worth a fortune; one you won't have to worry about wrecking every time you use it.

Liability only.. about $300/year. Put the re$t in the gas tank and do more camping.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 04:37 PM   #7
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanM View Post

Very helpful, thank you!

I also see lots of recommendations to change insurance carriers every couple of years. Do you recommend that strategy to keep insurance costs down?

A while back, several years? avanti had an excellent post about that. If you can find it.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 05:17 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I have USAA and they do not cover RVs but use Progressive as their agency. One aspect that should be considered is that if you want to rent out your RV through Outdoorsy or other entities your insurer must be one that allows it. Progressive does not, I think National General does.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 05:48 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanM View Post

Very helpful, thank you!

Depends if your premium manages to creep up every year, and you aren't completely satisfied with your carrier, and you have time for it and there are better alternatives... then sure!
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 06:19 PM   #10
Silver Member

It might help get a more accurate answer if we know what you're thinking of as far as new or used class b?
topwop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 06:31 PM   #11
Platinum Member

We went USAA and referred to Progressive. They were very helpful, and when we placed the van in storage, rolled it back to liability only. Just gotta' remember to turn it back on before you travel!

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:09 PM   #12

You have to be careful that’s it’s not insured as a van and it’s an rv. In other words make sure it’s not insured as a Chevrolet Express and it’s insured as a Roadtrek RV for example.
jwd673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:28 PM   #13

Thumbs up Progressive Insurance

Quote:
Thank you
After being declined by my house and automobile insurance company for my RV, I am glad that Progressive Insurance Company accepted it. I'm a 64 yo married male with a clean driving record. My RV is a 2024 Jayco Swift 20T. This is my 1st RV ever.
My yearly premium with full coverage and high limits is $896 a year.
JoePickleball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 11:03 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Another Progressive customer here ($500 a year). I think it's easier to find insurance if you have one of the brand names and their common models. If it's a DIY camper, it can be hard to get full insurance for all the RV stuff in it. We have a van that's commercially built, but rare in the U.S. and it took quite a bit of discussion with Progressive to get it fully insured.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote