Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2023, 01:55 PM   #1

Default Completely new

I'm Mike and am thinking of buying a used Class B Roadtrek RS. We have an older son with CP and hope to use this as a van to use to take him on longer trips, i.e. 6-7 hours to grandparents' house. We also have property in TN so instead of getting a conversion van, thinking wife and I could use this for long weekends in TN too!

Thank you for letting us become part of the group. Looking to learn a lot here!!

Mike
34Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 12:14 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Hi Mike, Having a toilet and galley when traveling are real great attribute of class B vans.

Suggest you watch sales videos on youtube and watch how easily or not the sales person moves around while showing the features.

Try to determine if you have a preference for chassis; diesel vs gas, ford, chevy, dodge benz etc.

My B is on a gas chev, because it can be fixed by anyone, anywhere with parts from NAPA.
But a benz ( for instance) may offer more headroom.

It depends on which features you want- or need- Does your Son have any requirements such as a chair or lift? or an electrical system to support any medical devices ?

I hope you find what you need
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 03:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
Hi Mike, Having a toilet and galley when traveling are real great attribute of class B vans.

Suggest you watch sales videos on youtube and watch how easily or not the sales person moves around while showing the features.

Try to determine if you have a preference for chassis; diesel vs gas, ford, chevy, dodge benz etc.

My B is on a gas chev, because it can be fixed by anyone, anywhere with parts from NAPA.
But a benz ( for instance) may offer more headroom.

It depends on which features you want- or need- Does your Son have any requirements such as a chair or lift? or an electrical system to support any medical devices ?

I hope you find what you need
Thanks, MK! Good ideas.
Yes, he will need a lift, hoping a undervehicle left will work. A UVL and wheelchair anchors are the only mods he will need.

Love the Sprinter but a bit scared of the 3.0 issues. I was one of those idiots that bought a 6.0L Ford and have been screwed ever since. They say pour $$into it to get it right then maintain. Well I still haven't "found the bottom" for the $$.

Cheers!!
Old 08-13-2023, 03:46 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I don't know a thing about lifts-

most/many B's will have water/waste tanks or other "stuff" underneath between the driveshaft and the frame rails which may restrict your options.

I hope you can puzzle this out.
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 04:39 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We have a Roadtrek Etrek which is I think is essentially the same as the RS. Not sure about lift, but the second row seats were not properly installed by Roadtrek and were recalled after they went bankrupt. So you will want to make sure your wheel chair anchors are properly installed and not relying on the mounts for the seats.

You may also want to check on the bathroom for your use. Its small and crowded and probably not wheel chair accessible.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 05:38 PM   #6

Thanks, Ross.

Not worried about an "accessible" bathroom. I like the Roadtreks that have the second row of seats. We would take one out and put the anchors through the floor.

Any suggestions on brands would be greatly helpful. Seems like there are super old used ones out there or Mercedes/Ram sprinters.