Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2021, 04:15 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Going All In

I'm here because after going through a divorce, rupturing my achilles tendon and being forced to retire from my career, and losing two close friends, simplifying and stripping down this life by relieving myself of possessions except for what I need and living full time in an RV seems attractive. I am not, however, under any delusion that it will be easy. In fact, I don't want it to be. I want it to push back a little. It should be interesting if not anything. I got my state parks pass and that's exciting! I'm hoping to learn as much as I can here and maybe down the road pay it forward.
dashriprock1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 04:51 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Well, you are in for a trip. The fact that you are not doing it bottom dollar will help. You will spend a lot of your time providing and managing power. You need to figure out how much you need and how you are going to get it and store it.

Just my opinion but if you are going to use lead acid batteries you need to look into solar. Lithium batteries pair better with generators.`

It has taken me five years to adapt a class C to off grid living so it may take you a while. The latest additions of Starlink and a gasoline furnace may have finally done it but it may show I need more power.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:46 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Lots of people here with technical knowledge, but this also a big lifestyle change. If you haven't watched the film Nomadland, I would do so. It does give a realistic look at the life for those of limited budget - the good and the bad. Hopefully income is not your biggest issue, but full timing is not for everyone, whatever your budget. It can be lonely for single people...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:03 PM   #4
Platinum Member

If you are old enough get the federal pass

"rv resort" campgrounds are an expensive as a motel

It depends what you want

we have a home and use our van for a month+ long trip each summer ( away from the Az heat)

and a few week or weekend trips through the year, a few visits to friends here and there if their driveway can accommodate

some cities limit parking for larger vehicles ( Santa Monica is something like 20' long, 8' high )

figure out where you want to go, what you want to see- hopefully it won't be too crowded

the dispersed camping scene around quartzite AZ ( as in the nomadland film) is a bunch of rv's in the dust and dirt.
not attractive to me.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:27 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Lots of people here with technical knowledge, but this also a big lifestyle change. If you haven't watched the film Nomadland, I would do so. It does give a realistic look at the life for those of limited budget - the good and the bad. Hopefully income is not your biggest issue, but full timing is not for everyone, whatever your budget. It can be lonely for single people...
Wife and I just watched Nomadland. It was sad to see the hardships that those that have unfortunate life circumstances go through. The financial aspect can be very tough. For those of us that have not experienced that, we should be mindful to help those that have. Yes, there will be some that are taking advantage, but that shouldn't stop us from trying to help the majority that do need help.

dashriprock1974: I am sorry for the hard times you have just faced and hope for better days ahead. Hopefully when you get back on your feet you will be able to help others. Until then, I hope folks like us can help you out.

I include this link to encourage others in our little B community to give some time to helping others in some way (not necessarily the examples I give). I'm sure many of us do help, but sometimes a little encouragement helps.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...help-8269.html
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:07 PM   #6
Platinum Member

For months people told me "You have to see this movie Nomadland, blah blah blah ..."

Within 45 minutes I sent texts to those closest to me telling them "Do you think I live like this? This Woman & her story are nothing short of depressing..."

To which they replied "We felt the same way but thought you might be interested because you live & work out of your van ..."

I was halfway through it so decided to persevere but I can share with you, its nothing like how I live & work and nor could it be for others on our site that "It was the most depressing movie I have ever seen in years & the only one I followed to the end trying to discover the pot of gold only to find her 5 gallon waste bucket ..."

RV Life is like Life itself, its what you choose.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:08 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
If you are old enough get the federal pass

"rv resort" campgrounds are an expensive as a motel

It depends what you want

we have a home and use our van for a month+ long trip each summer ( away from the Az heat)

and a few week or weekend trips through the year, a few visits to friends here and there if their driveway can accommodate

some cities limit parking for larger vehicles ( Santa Monica is something like 20' long, 8' high )

figure out where you want to go, what you want to see- hopefully it won't be too crowded

the dispersed camping scene around quartzite AZ ( as in the nomadland film) is a bunch of rv's in the dust and dirt.
not attractive to me.

mike
Great tips
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 11-23-2021, 10:14 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Perhaps a class C would suit you better. Certainly they would be cheaper than a B tho more expensive to move around.

Also consider not being full time to start. Perhaps base out of a friend’s house to return for mods and upgrades. Get the highest quality unit you can afford. Getting one that disintegrates due to water leaks or rust three years down the road is not good.

There are few, if any, (read none) RVs built for full time, comfortable, off grid living out of the box.

The cheaprvliving videos are informative but they are from the bottom dollar perspective. On the other hand it is not reasonable to stay only in RV parks.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:18 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I read somewhere RV living or camping is about spending a small fortune to live like a "homeless person"?
Old 11-23-2021, 11:54 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
I read somewhere RV living or camping is about spending a small fortune to live like a "homeless person"?
Small fortune you have right. If you have a place that stays warm with a bath room you are not the same as homeless.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:10 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashriprock1974 View Post
I got my state parks pass and that's exciting! I'm hoping to learn as much as I can here and maybe down the road pay it forward.
Myself and friends will be in Moab in the spring. PM me when you are ready to come on down.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:45 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Small fortune you have right. If you have a place that stays warm with a bath room you are not the same as homeless.
Spent many years in Jungles, Mountains, Deserts, etc dug in waiting for targets as a Military Contractor, was vulnerable but felt fully alive & thankful & never, ever homeless.

And 15 years of that 30 plus I had only my RV when I got back Stateside - felt like I was staying in a big gambler's Suite in Las Vegas.

Home, is where your Heart is.

My Roadtrek is a Palace & a Paradise, a place of Refuge (plus no-one is hunting to kill me which makes it a little easier but then again, I took out the Toilet & put in a Porta Potti, got rid of my 3 Way Fridge, developed good relationships with all the RV Techs in California & made my dinette area, a full time bed - all things that previously made my mood, slightly murderous).
Old 11-24-2021, 10:36 AM   #13
Bronze Member

Thank you for the tips. Regarding your comment on batteries, I asked the dealer to install new AGM's for the chassis batteries. Hopefully this wasn't a rookie move. When I've used AGM's in automotive and powersports applications they seem to last longer and don't seem to be affected by temperature extremes as much as traditional lead-acid.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:09 AM   #14
Bronze Member

Thank you. I will be collecting what retirement income I've built up over 25 years of railroading and I have a couple of small investments that are doing ok. I will, more than likely, get something going to generate "blow it" money once the reality of my new lifestyle sets in and my focus shifts to what's in front of my face rather than what's on my mind. Coming from the rail industry, and the fact that every railyard is situated in what could be considered as the "bad" part of town, I have seen, interacted with, and became allies with those who are struggling, blocked, and discarded. I am no different or better than they are. I haven't watched nomadland however, I plan to. I do believe that the world that we view from inside our heads is ours to shape and view however we choose. And that makes us feel big and connected. Until the cosmic energy force slaps the popsicle out of your hand and tells you to pick it up and finish it. I'm still at the part where I argue that finishing a dirty, melted life popsicle isn't what I paid for. Thank you again for your time.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:31 AM   #15
Bronze Member

Agreed. It is whatever you choose. I am anxious and scared I will admit. For some reason that needs to be part of this but I'm so tired of being comfortable on the outside and unsettled within that I cannot stay put. I feel like I've always had someone or something else to care for. To show love to. And now it's just me. I ask myself, "Self, what is it you want?" I answer, "I want not to want." There begins the work. I realize this all may seem a bit dramatic. I am still a little raw from some happenings. You seem to have figured out what works for you and I take inspiration from that. Thank you for your time and words of encouragement!
Old 11-24-2021, 11:50 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Default Read The Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
If you haven't watched the film Nomadland, I would do so. It does give a realistic look at the life for those of limited budget - the good and the bad.
If you want an even better look, read the book. A lot of the material that made it into the movie was sanitized, I'm sure partly in order to get the warehouse interior shots. A tremendous amount just got left out for lack of running time.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 03:35 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
If you want an even better look, read the book. A lot of the material that made it into the movie was sanitized, I'm sure partly in order to get the warehouse interior shots. A tremendous amount just got left out for lack of running time.
Always true. I haven't yet read the book, but have a passing acquaintance with some of the women involved.

I thought it was a good reality check what with the overselling of the "fun of van life and working on the road."
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:22 PM   #18
Silver Member

We live full time in a diy promaster conversion. It’s a promaster 2500 159 inch wheel base. I highly recommend going this route, but there’s definitely a learning curve. My wife and I couldn’t be happier in our promaster.
Van_Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:40 PM   #19
Gold Member

One approach is to mix in RV Parks from time to time. You find a place with full hookups, a laundry and a bathhouse. Stay there for one night and get all of your business done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
The cheaprvliving videos are informative but they are from the bottom dollar perspective. On the other hand it is not reasonable to stay only in RV parks.
CaDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:09 PM   #20
Silver Member

Yes, the lifestyle change will need adaptation. What we learned after the first year, was that living on the road is not a race. Slow down, take it easy - this is now your life. You're not a tourist, and with the exception of the odd special occasion, you usually don't need to be anywhere specific. Driving less will cut down on your monthly expenses - especially in the current climate of rising gas prices. Learn to enjoy life itself. Plan to go and stay at places you've always wanted to go. Follow the seasons ... we try to be in the daytime high of 70 and in the 50's at night. See friends old and new. We thoroughly enjoy it.

God bless your sojourn,
Ray B.
Ormond-by-the-Sea, Florida
2012 Pleasure Way Plateau TD
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote