Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #1

Default Hello from Indianapolis, Indiana, USA

Hey everyone. I have been lurking for a short time now and decided it was finally time to say hello to one and all.

My user name comes from an PC game (both on- and offline) by the name of Porsche Unleashed. The original name I used was "Alt-F4" (don't press that combination of keys on a Windows PC or you will immediately close the current window (program) that is in use!) Then after I joined a racing team, we shortened the name to Altster (team name was [RS-ALT].

Anyway, my wife & I are doing a LOT OF RESEARCH and reading and trying on (to see if we can fit inside) some of the models available to us in our part of the world. We'll drive 200 miles or perhaps a bit more just to go look at something to see if it is doable. I'm a BIG guy in that I am just under 6'4" tall and weigh in at just under 385 pounds AND I have a bad left knee to boot! So fitting inside the drivers area of a given Class B can be a deal breaker if I cannot comfortably sit behind the steering wheel.

RV's (chassis) that we have "tried on" so far are:

Ram Pro Master - way too small
Sprinter works except for gearshift location (interferes with my right knee)
Ford Transit 350 - so far, so good - depending on what is behind drivers seat
Ford F-350 - same as Transit
Chevy 3500 ditto on Ford F-350 and Transit 350.

Right now what it all boils down to keeping the purchase price less than $100K and preferably down around $80K., as well as me being able to comfortably being able to drive the vehicle.

Yes we have considered doing a custom build (Sports Mobile comes to mind.) But we would really like to find something that is close to what we like. It is very hard to find that one "that fits all!"

I truly wish that the RV manufacturers would consider building Class B units for BIG people such as myself and many others out there. We are tired of being tethered to the hotels and motels as many of them really don't offer good sleeping rooms. And right now to stay in a hotel I need ADA bathrooms as I have trouble getting up - working on that - TMI, I know.

Anyway, this is more than enough and probably too windy. But my fingers like to talk a lot sometimes.
Altster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:58 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the neighborhood!

AFAIK, the only two coaches made in the US on the Ford Transit platform are the Winnebago Paseo and the Coachmen Crossfit. They are both in your price range, but the Paseo has a wall directly behind the drivers seat so I don't think that will work for you.

The Crossfit has more room for the driver, but you will still find the ceiling height a challenge and navigating from the front seat to the rear of the coach is quite difficult because of the intrusion of the doghouse and parking brake - combine those with a bad knee and you may find that you have to exit the vehicle and come in through the side door. You may also find the bathroom difficult to negotiate - it's really tight.

Based on your size and physical limitations, it might be better to seek out a small Class C - you can still get them on a Ford or Chevy platform and some are no longer than a B, but are a bit taller and wider. They are also often less expensive than a Class B.

Good luck in your search.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:02 AM   #3

Well from what I am hearing (thru the pipeline) there may be some changes coming to the Crossfit that we may find out about after the Dealer Show in Northern Indiana. That being said, we are also considering doing a custom build on a Transit 350 platform via SportsMobile. Time will tell.

Thanks for the quick response
Altster is offline   Reply With Quote