Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #181
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: WA
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think you are missing the point being made. If you are using enough power to be marginal on 1600ah of lithium batteries, whatever solar you are able to get is going to be a very small contribution, that is also unreliable.

Where is all that power going? At some point you might be way better off to have generator to run at peak use times.
My point is that doubling the solar will double the contribution no matter how big or small.

As to your point that 1600AH might not be enough depending on power usage, I get it and as I said I will know more when I actually start using the system.
__________________

WingedRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:01 PM   #182
Platinum Member
 
GeorgeRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedRyno View Post
I'm thinking seriously about making a battery switch management device for the RT. 3D print a panel that overlays on top of the battery switches and monitors the RT LED and has its own LED. Maybe using spring push pull solenoids to actuate the switches.

It will start up the batteries by flipping the reset and on/off buttons, measuring the volts, and then turning batteries on and off automatically as required and having one LED display of battery levels and tracking and logging how long it takes each battery to hit the 20% level. Raspberry Pi should be able to do this pretty easily with a small camera reading the OEM voltage display.

For charging it could do something similar I suppose, so that one battery is being charged at a time to alleviate the parasitic drag of having all batteries on while charging.

Could be useful and fun to make.
Personally, I would not go this route, it would add complexity. It could be difficult and unreliable to add UI hardware shell over a not well engineered system. You could be better off to redo RT system with good UI from the get go.

I was in similar position a few year ago except I was starting with a white sheet of paper and ended up with good enough results. A key part of the project, related to Boosterís question "where is all this power going?", is balance sheet. I understand you want more, but why? What are your estimated loads.

I always enjoy watching this part from The Office but please take it with a smile, cheers and good luck.

__________________

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #183
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,034
Default

assuming everything works-and i'm assuming your system WILL work because most do-some don't and are headaches-but most do-i think you will find that it won't work to your expectations.

1600 amp hours requires 1600 amp hours in.

But good luck to you.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:07 PM   #184
BBQ
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East
Posts: 2,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think you are missing the point being made. If you are using enough power to be marginal on 1600ah of lithium batteries, whatever solar you are able to get is going to be a very small contribution, that is also unreliable.

Where is all that power going? At some point you might be way better off to have generator to run at peak use times.

+1


BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:11 PM   #185
BBQ
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East
Posts: 2,484
Default

.

Full timing in a B is not easy, unless you are a minimalist.

Most of the nomads have the luxury of chasing the forever 70F weather.

If you plan to stay in the boonies or any one place for long,
the B might not be the right vehicle for you.


BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:50 PM   #186
Platinum Member
 
markopolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 8,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedRyno View Post
I'm thinking seriously about making a battery switch management device for the RT. 3D print a panel that overlays on top of the battery switches and monitors the RT LED and has its own LED. Maybe using spring push pull solenoids to actuate the switches.

It will start up the batteries by flipping the reset and on/off buttons, measuring the volts, and then turning batteries on and off automatically as required and having one LED display of battery levels and tracking and logging how long it takes each battery to hit the 20% level. Raspberry Pi should be able to do this pretty easily with a small camera reading the OEM voltage display.

For charging it could do something similar I suppose, so that one battery is being charged at a time to alleviate the parasitic drag of having all batteries on while charging.

Could be useful and fun to make.
Why not have the first B van with a butler robot handling all those mundane chores for you

robot.jpg

21st Century Robot

In addition to button pushing it could empty the tanks, trek to the camp store to get ice cream or firewood, mix margaritas etc.
__________________
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:23 PM   #187
Platinum Member
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Why not have the first B van with a butler robot handling all those mundane chores for you

Attachment 4310

21st Century Robot

In addition to button pushing it could empty the tanks, trek to the camp store to get ice cream or firewood, mix margaritas etc.
Or maybe buy an RV without so many supposed flaws and shortcomings you have to fix.
__________________
Davydd
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Mercedes Benz Sprinter
Previous Class Bs:
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:12 PM   #188
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: WA
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Why not have the first B van with a butler robot handling all those mundane chores for you

Attachment 4310

21st Century Robot

In addition to button pushing it could empty the tanks, trek to the camp store to get ice cream or firewood, mix margaritas etc.
It's on my list!
WingedRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:12 PM   #189
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: WA
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Or maybe buy an RV without so many supposed flaws and shortcomings you have to fix.
God, I hope you're right that it turns out to be an RV and not a pool table that is delivered. Fingers crossed!
WingedRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:56 PM   #190
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: WA
Posts: 202
Default

Picking up our rig tomorrow morning. They said a July build and they hit that target no problem without any pestering from us.

Now to make sure I'm ready to inspect it to make sure everything is working!
WingedRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:35 PM   #191
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedRyno View Post
Picking up our rig tomorrow morning. They said a July build and they hit that target no problem without any pestering from us.

Now to make sure I'm ready to inspect it to make sure everything is working!
Make them test the Voltstart. Unless they're pestered to do it, they usually don't. Using just one battery and running the AC, it takes about 40 minutes to do the test. This also tests high power operation of the inverter.

Where do they stick the eight BMS control modules?

Did you order the XL version with 600 watt solar and under mount AC?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:19 PM   #192
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: WA
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Make them test the Voltstart. Unless they're pestered to do it, they usually don't. Using just one battery and running the AC, it takes about 40 minutes to do the test. This also tests high power operation of the inverter.

Where do they stick the eight BMS control modules?

Did you order the XL version with 600 watt solar and under mount AC?
We didn't order Volstart. I think we're going to try to wire our own sensors and remote start ourselves eventually.

We did order the 8 EcoTreks and the 600W but not the undermount A/C. Our A/C is up top. Not sure where the batteries are yet but will see in the morning.
WingedRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:00 AM   #193
BBQ
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East
Posts: 2,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Make them test the Voltstart. Unless they're pestered to do it, they usually don't. Using just one battery and running the AC, it takes about 40 minutes to do the test. This also tests high power operation of the inverter.
...

LOL

__________________
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:55 AM   #194
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedRyno View Post
We didn't order Volstart. I think we're going to try to wire our own sensors and remote start ourselves eventually.
In your case particularly, that makes sense. IMO, at 800 ah, it's value is questionable and at 1600 ah, it's really superflouous unless you plan to operate a mobile open hearth furnace.

Since you're taking a fully loaded top tier RT fresh out of he plant, your observations regarding the yin and yang of this beast will be read with great interest.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:13 AM   #195
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedRyno View Post
We didn't order Volstart. I think we're going to try to wire our own sensors and remote start ourselves eventually.
Self-start of a modern Sprinter is a bit of a challenge. Most of the alarm-system providers have stopped supporting it due to the complexity. Last I heard, there was only one system that supported MY2014+ Sprinters, and it was very expensive.
__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:03 AM   #196
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: WA
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
In your case particularly, that makes sense. IMO, at 800 ah, it's value is questionable and at 1600 ah, it's really superflouous unless you plan to operate a mobile open hearth furnace.

Since you're taking a fully loaded top tier RT fresh out of he plant, your observations regarding the yin and yang of this beast will be read with great interest.
Thanks, we will share what we learn. We do want to bring along our 3D printer but we're guessing we will have to be plugged in to use it. No hearth furnace on the plans, yet
WingedRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:05 AM   #197
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: WA
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Self-start of a modern Sprinter is a bit of a challenge. Most of the alarm-system providers have stopped supporting it due to the complexity. Last I heard, there was only one system that supported MY2014+ Sprinters, and it was very expensive.
It's low on our priority list. One of our first orders of business will be trying to replicate your success with MiMo antennas. We appreciate all that info you shared on the topic.
WingedRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:36 PM   #198
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: WA
Posts: 202
Default

So I'm staying in the unit with power available while I test it out at the dealership. So far so good. There were a couple minor things that needed some adjustment. The biggest issue I've seen so far is that the frig/freezer have lights on and have been powered for a couple hours now but there is nothing cold inside. It's lit up though. But the dealership is working on it.

I'm not sure how powered up the 8 ecotreks were by the factory, but so far I am testing them out by running them down (no shore or engine power) using the air conditioning. #8 ran for 5 seconds and then shut off so I guess it wasn't juiced up. 7 through 4 however have run the A/C for about 40 mins each before the BMS shuts the battery off.

I'm gonna drain them all down to 20% or whenever the BMS kicks in and then hook up to shore power. I know that will take longer to charge them up than driving, but we'll see what overnight charging does...

There is one solar panel that seems to be permanently shaded by the awning but I need to get a drone up there to take a better look and figure out what kind of impact that will have to the 600W of solar.

Other than that, this thing is great but I have much more testing to do.
WingedRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:42 PM   #199
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedRyno View Post
So I'm staying in the unit with power available while I test it out at the dealership. So far so good. There were a couple minor things that needed some adjustment. The biggest issue I've seen so far is that the frig/freezer have lights on and have been powered for a couple hours now but there is nothing cold inside. It's lit up though. But the dealership is working on it.

I'm not sure how powered up the 8 ecotreks were by the factory, but so far I am testing them out by running them down (no shore or engine power) using the air conditioning. #8 ran for 5 seconds and then shut off so I guess it wasn't juiced up. 7 through 4 however have run the A/C for about 40 mins each before the BMS shuts the battery off.

I'm gonna drain them all down to 20% or whenever the BMS kicks in and then hook up to shore power. I know that will take longer to charge them up than driving, but we'll see what overnight charging does...

There is one solar panel that seems to be permanently shaded by the awning but I need to get a drone up there to take a better look and figure out what kind of impact that will have to the 600W of solar.

Other than that, this thing is great but I have much more testing to do.
Was your coach trucked or driven to the dealership?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:45 PM   #200
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: WA
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Was your coach trucked or driven to the dealership?
I am not sure. It has 918 miles and that is about the distance from the dealership to the factory so I'm guessing it was driven.

Interesting thing is that I just happened to turn on one of the ecotreks I thought was dead because it didn't fire up the A/C and this time it fired it up nice and has been running for about fifteen minutes now. Maybe because it was hotter then the surge from the A/C was too much?

I've heard it's best to run two ecotrek modules when you use the A/C and perhaps that is the reason why. But it wasn't drained like I was thinking it was.
__________________

WingedRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×