Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2014, 12:50 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Advancing Alvar

Luckily, you won't need to do it very often, as you said you don't usually need to run your A/C very often, for example. Thinking about it for a minute or two, I find it interesting how similar the A-RV dilemma is to the E-Trek one we discussed a while back, when we had doubts about the whole Sprinter idling issue and the capability of the engine (with it's secret extra generator or whatever it turned out to be) to recharge a heavily used battery bank, and all the rest of the potential problems it presented. Among other things, I find it ironic that if you do choose to run your A/C off your battery bank that you have to idle a 3.0L V6 diesel engine for up to 3 hours, and then drive it for 40 minutes or more to purge the exhaust soot or suffer expensive engine damage, yet it's problematic for E-Trek or Advanced-RV owners to run a generator, gas, propane, or diesel, to the same end, that being to provide power for the A/C.
I just don't get all this modern and very expensive technology, I guess.
If it were me, I'd just get the quietest appropriately fueled generator available, and use it when necessary to charge or supplement my available battery power. Probably nice to have a larger battery bank than a typical class B RV, maybe 400 amp hours off of some matching AGMs - physical space and weight capacity permitting. Maybe a little bit of solar to help things along, too.