Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2021, 02:08 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Appraisal value for Insurance

My insurer wants me to have a professional appraisal done on my 2003 Roadtrek so that it can be insured for full value. Otherwise its insured as a Chevy cargo van.
Now, I know what I paid for it and I can show them countless on-line ads and calculators but no, they don't work like that.
They couldn't recommend anyone to me so I'm asking the forum if they know of any professional appraisors.

I'm in Calgary, but I'm pretty sure it can be done via video call.

Thank you
ovsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:11 AM   #2
Bronze Member

I did mine via email with James Polk. Very well done and professional. My appraisal was for agreed value with Progressive.

James Polk ASA PE
PolkValuations.com
805 646 7293
jamespolk@polkvaluations.com
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:13 PM   #3
otr
Gold Member

Progressive allowed me to do a "claimed" value which I based upon comparable unitas as well as lots of photos showing the condition and also I only have about 30,000 miles on my 2000RT
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:15 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
I did mine via email with James Polk. Very well done and professional. My appraisal was for agreed value with Progressive.

James Polk ASA PE
PolkValuations.com
805 646 7293
jamespolk@polkvaluations.com

Agreed - 2 on Jim Polk.

Jim is well known & respected amongst the Vintage Trailer/RV Community, & his valuations are widely accepted by the insurers, so you'll be in good well qualified hands.

Make sure to clean up & detail your Roadtrek & fix any visible issues before your pix to send to him. Folks often fail to clean & fix before an appraisal, & their valuation suffers due to appearance.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1970 Eriba Puck, +/- 5th owner since 2018
1960 Avion T20, +/- 4th owner since 2012
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:22 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otr View Post
Progressive allowed me to do a "claimed" value which I based upon comparable unitas as well as lots of photos showing the condition and also I only have about 30,000 miles on my 2000RT
OTR,

Their Claimed Value is not Agreed Value with it's value protection guaranty, & so they can still pay you based on an average value.

With your low mile 2000RT, you'll be well served to get an appraisal from Jim Polk now, or you may end up in a fight with Progressive or other insurer (e.g.: other party's insurance who hit you) & then needing to get his appraisal while fighting the insurers' lawyers, claims staff, etc.

IIRC it's only about $150 for an Appraisal. Check with Jim by email.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1970 Eriba Puck, +/- 5th owner since 2018
1960 Avion T20, +/- 4th owner since 2012
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:57 PM   #6
PBF

I'm also in Canada. My 1998 Ford super wagon campervan bought 2 yrs ago, was customised after purchase and most insurance companies wouldn't insure it as more than the van, because it wasn't factory made. Before paying for a professional appraisor really make sure that you will be covered with your insurance company. When I was researching I found some appraisors online.
I finally found All State Insurance to insure it as a motorhome, and they did it without an appraisal. They put their own value on it ( more than what I paid )

Here is the final confirmation from them after i asked for it in writing , in case of any future denials of full insurance.
I am writing to confirm with you that your van is fully insured as a camper van under our motorhome product and has been confirmed with my underwriting department. I do understand the customizing of that was done before you purchased it and it has been taken into consideration during the quotation process as well in the new insurance policy.[/I]
PBF is offline   Reply With Quote